Virgin Mobile Supreme (ZTE 9810) update fails

rkhanso

May 22, 2011
Visit site
I've been getting a message stating there's a software update for my phone. I haven't been able to successfully install it.
My phone is rooted. I've removed the annoying VM sound and animation when booting my phone. I may have removed some of the VM bloatware as well, I don't remember.
Is this what is causing the problem and the update failing with this message?

Sprint Device Software Enhancement..install update? yes

phone reboots and then in "Android system recovery <3e>"

Finding update package...
Opening update package...
Verifying update package...
Installing update...
Verifying current system...
assert failed: apply_patch_check("/system/bin/debuggerd", "753517603e2b18af159653e95a91972bbf809c29", "b2fee1c1c282f4307a1d0dd03806fc35abbbe262")
Installation aborted.

Then I just have to 'reboot system now' and the phone boots fine. Sometime later (up to a couple days) - I get the software update available message again.

Is there another way to install this update? Do I need to un-root my phone to get this installed? Don't know what to do.

Currently my phone info:
Model: N9810
Android 4.1.2
Baseband version N9810B01
Kernel version 3.4.0-perf-svn5733zte-kernel@Zdroid-SMT
SW Version N9810V1.0.0B06
HW Version c9zB

Last edited:

Gearsawe

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
I am also getting the same message and failure. Also rooted. I am guessing it has to be un-rooted. of course no support from virgin because phone has been rooted.

Russtang

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Rooted here too. I've been getting the message for around a week now. Keep postponing it because I don't know if the phone can be re-rooted after the update.

cld618

May 17, 2012
Visit site
Same problem with similar message
assert failed: apply_patch_check("/system/app/Books.apk")
Installation aborted.
See screenshot of message: https://www.dropbox.com/s/b8lk0n147cbcfuv/20121114_121646_4_bestshot.jpg

My phone is rooted. The Books.apk does exist in the /system/app/ directory.

I believe the update includes the following:
Description of Enhancements/Fixes
N98101.0B09 03/26/2014 http://support.sprint.com/support/a...dAndUpdateTheSoftwareVersionOnYourSprintVital

Proximity issue on 2nd call
Battery Improvements (SW circuitry)
Home button freeze issue
EAS CAL issue
HD Voice quality improvements

Bug Fixes including Wifi
Fixed 3G icon
Updated to B.09
Misc stuff

Similar problem and discussion on another message board
http://androidforums.com/6500330-post1.html
http://androidforums.com/vital-all-things-root/825084-rom-supreme-mobster-rom-s-03-30-14-a.html
and
http://software.techassistbox.com/unlocking-zte-supreme_260735.html

Last edited:

cld618

May 17, 2012
Visit site
Used Titanium Backup to uninstall some Google stock apps. i.e. play books, play movies, play music, play newsstand.
I have reinstalled all the apps.

(May 1, 2014)
I have contacted ZTEUSA customer support regarding this problem. I have included this blog in the problem report submission.
The downloaded software update can be found in the /cache/ directory on your Android phone. It is 110MB and labeled with ... .N9810_B19_TO...

(May 9,2014)
Still waiting on for reply from ZTE. I haven't found any solution to the install problem.

Last edited:

Daniel Luebke

May 2, 2014
Visit site
Hi! Thanks for your help. Can you share steps to the solution you found? If the update file is in the directory, how can we move it from the cache to install?

rkhanso

May 22, 2011
Visit site
I un-rooted, did a factory reset, went back to the VM boot sound and animation.
Am running stock for a while to see if the phone finds the update and tries again.
It's been about 1/2 day and I haven't seen any notifications of updates yet (other than the standard app updates).
I'll let it go a few days and see if the phone gets updated or not.
I also erased my SD card and removed some of my music and documents from the phone.
Lastly, since I'm not rooted now, I used VM's website to send an email to support asking them if I have the latest updates on my phone:

Android version: 4.1.2
Baseband version: N9810B01
Kernel Version: 3.4.0-perf-svn5733 zte-kernel@Zdroid-SMT
SW Version: N9810V1.0.0B06
HW Version: c9zB

cld618

May 17, 2012
Visit site
This is a stupid question but I will still ask it.
I am trying to use the instructions listed below to install the update. However, CWM ROM manager insists that I install a custom recovery but the ZTE Supreme isn't in the drop down list of supported phone devices. Which phone device should I be using? What am I missing?
Thank you

Instructions For ZTE Supreme only.

NOTE: If you are still running B06, you will need to flash the partition updater and the rom.

NOTE2: These zips are unsigned so you will need to disable signature verification in cwm before flashing.

NOTE3: Your device must have CWM to flash ROMs.

Flash in CWM as follows:

Download ROM
Put the ROM on your sdcard if not already
Reboot to CWM Recovery
MAKE A BACKUP!!!!!!!!!!
Wipe data
Install ROM from sdcard
Reboot
Enjoy!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Trending Posts