VZW Folk: Moto X or Droid Ultra??

nemov

Mar 7, 2010
Visit site

MikeLip

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
Right now I am leaning towards the X. It's going to be a tough choice. I will bet that performance wise there will be very little to choose from. And the form factor of the X is very much like the DNA, which is awesome. On the other hand the Ultra has a slightly larger screen, but I find I prefer smaller screens. 4.7" isn't a lot smaller but it may be enough to make a difference in handling. If the X battery endurance meets the hype - and based on the reviews up it seems to - that will let me get through the day with less bulk than a Maxx. But even if I were to get a Droid I suspect I'd be just as happy. What's a tech junkie to do????????? :)

Honestabebread

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
Right now I am leaning towards the X. It's going to be a tough choice. I will bet that performance wise there will be very little to choose from. And the form factor of the X is very much like the DNA, which is awesome. On the other hand the Ultra has a slightly larger screen, but I find I prefer smaller screens. 4.7" isn't a lot smaller but it may be enough to make a difference in handling. If the X battery endurance meets the hype - and based on the reviews up it seems to - that will let me get through the day with less bulk than a Maxx. But even if I were to get a Droid I suspect I'd be just as happy. What's a tech junkie to do????????? :)

The Maxx is 8mm compared to the 10 on the X, so not really much bulkier.

Posted via Android Central App

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
So leaked training docs show Verizon is likely going to push the DROID MINI, ULTRA, and MAXX hard over the Moto X. If this surprises anyone, you don't know how the industry works.

Rocketsaucev2

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
So leaked training docs show Verizon is likely going to push the DROID MINI, ULTRA, and MAXX hard over the Moto X. If this surprises anyone, you don't know how the industry works.

I will tell them what *I* want. Anyone here probably knows more about phones than they do in the first place.

Sent from my Nexus 10

Jay Sacks

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Read Joseph Volpe's review for Engaget on August 5th.

He claimed he killed the phone for a full day and still had juice 24 hours later.

Sent from my GT-P6210 using AC Forums mobile app

ulnek

Dec 22, 2009
Visit site
the ultras and the x seem to have the same internals. do i have that right? if so, guess the maxx for me with larger battery.

sholzer

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
The more I keep comparing the more I keep leaning toward the mini. I have an old maxx now and the 4.3 is fine. And I love the idea of a smaller more pocketable phone. Is it confirmed all 4 phones have active display?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

Did you really need training docs to tell you this? :confused:

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II via Tapatalk 4

Tommy3141

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
Assuming the **** is true that a 32 GB is coming to Moto X, its smaller, easier to hold, and probably will last long enough. Right now, software buttons, and no Droid nonsense puts the X ahead of the Ultra crowd for me. BUT, I will probably wait until I can touch, hold, fondle, sniff, make purring sounds next to, and read many more intimate reviews, reports, and see what problems come up before taking the plunge into next gen Moto bliss. Come middle of Sept, I expect to know enough, and fork over the $. Its a matter of which Moto - no other contenders.

mfdemicco

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
I currently have a razr maxx (non HD). Phones dragging, and I want something new. I actually was ready to buy the X but at the price, I am really considering getting the mini. I wanted a smaller phone, and I believe battery life will work for me with a more efficient processor/optimized software. I take my phone everywhere....work, gym, running, etc. The ideal size for me is a bezel-less 4.5 but I was willing to go to the x considering its weight. After all said and done.....honestly given the same or similar specs I think the decision for me is not Moto X vs. Ultra its more Moto X vs. mini. I know, 4.3 is old school but its a phone not a tablet.....my fiancees kids can stop telling me to answer my flat screen TV :)

The mini looks good, but only comes with 16 gigs of memory and an lcd display. I'd have to look at the screen differences but I've run out of memory several times on my Galaxy Nexus with 32 gb.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4

sholzer

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
I use my phone a ton but storage wise 16 is enough for me. I use google music thing that streams my library remotely and I take plenty odd pics but still don't used the full 16. Have plenty of apps loaded as well. Gonna come down to screen at this point. But I want active notifications. Some say mini has it. Some don't. We shall see in a week ya? ;)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4

Chiplg

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
I use my phone a ton but storage wise 16 is enough for me. I use google music thing that streams my library remotely and I take plenty odd pics but still don't used the full 16. Have plenty of apps loaded as well. Gonna come down to screen at this point. But I want active notifications. Some say mini has it. Some don't. We shall see in a week ya? ;)

The Mini DOES NOT have active notifications. For some reason, they use a different screen. It is a TFT LCD on the Mini vs. AMOLED on the other phones. On an AMOLED, you can only light the pixels you want. On and LCD you have to light the whole screen. Active notifications on an LCD would murder the battery on the Mini.

Beech_55

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
I was debating small and convenient (the Mini), especially since I also get the "answer your TV!" comments, but I'm tired of swapping out batteries when my phone dies. (But hey, at least I can do that w/ the GN.) So I had been leaning towards the Maxx, but the situational or contextual awareness claims of the Moto seem pretty cool. I will wait for real reviews, but it would be great to know that the Maxx can do the same thing. Then I think I would have an easier decidion.

BTW, for those with Galaxy Nexus, I'm in the same sinking boat, with multiple batteries. And I seem to encounter more "bugs" recently (grayed-out wifi and 3G icons, for example), and slower reaction. I'm sure it is a coincidence that the new phones are coming out in a few days.

cdmta

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
The Mini DOES NOT have active notifications. For some reason, they use a different screen. It is a TFT LCD on the Mini vs. AMOLED on the other phones. On an AMOLED, you can only light the pixels you want. On and LCD you have to light the whole screen. Active notifications on an LCD would murder the battery on the Mini.

Hmmm.
The Verge reports the opposite. S-amoled and active notifications.

Droid Mini Specs & Latest News | Motorola | The Verge

sholzer

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
Hmmm.
The Verge reports the opposite. S-amoled and active notifications.

Droid Mini Specs & Latest News | Motorola | The Verge

Seeeee all the conflicting reviews on active display and screen type on the mini. Why is it so hard to find out ;) kidding.

I like wireless charging idea.......if you have a skin or case will wireless charging still work? Cause I always have a case on so its pointless it not.

SteelGator

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
So I had been leaning towards the Maxx, but the situational or contextual awareness claims of the Moto seem pretty cool. I will wait for real reviews, but it would be great to know that the Maxx can do the same thing. Then I think I would have an easier decidion.

Worry not, the contextual awareness is there for the Maxx too. The DROID Life quick review made it clear that the Droids have all the features of the X, plus a couple more (Zap and Control Center Widget). I like the widget, but doubt I will get much use from Zap.

BTW, for those with Galaxy Nexus, I'm in the same sinking boat, with multiple batteries. And I seem to encounter more "bugs" recently (grayed-out wifi and 3G icons, for example), and slower reaction. I'm sure it is a coincidence that the new phones are coming out in a few days.

I have had some of these, but I have chalked a lot of it up to the ROM I am running. Still can't wait for my Maxx to get great because battery life is killing me.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Assistivetech202