Warranty replacement received

AndroidHabit

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
Alright so I just got my replacement yesterday and my worry came true.
They sent me a G3 with Lollipop installed.
So now I'm wondering what should I do, should I call them and say I don't want it?
I already factory reset my old one and would have to start over but I don't want the same lag issues.

I hate the fact that Lollipop is ART only and its different to root it but I can do it.
Some of the apps I used will probably not work now and it just plain sucks because I didn't want Lollipop.

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
They're obliged to replace a device under the terms of the warranty, but I doubt that they have to provide a replacement running this or that version of the OS. Try an extremely nice approach, thanking them for the present replacement, but have they got any Kitkats left? :)

Posted via the Android Central App

AndroidHabit

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
They're obliged to replace a device under the terms of the warranty, but I doubt that they have to provide a replacement running this or that version of the OS. Try an extremely nice approach, thanking them for the present replacement, but have they got any Kitkats left? :)

Well thinking of that, I would have to send this one back and wait till they get it and then wait again another week for a kitkat version.

Is there a one click root method for this lollipop version?
I think I saw coma post a quick method but forgot what thread it was in.

I see mixed results with lollipop and wonder which is really better.
Did they fix a lot of bugs kitkat had or make the G3 run smoother?
Everything seems smooth now but I wonder if it will be once I load all my apps.

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
I don't notice any great differences between Kitkat and Lollipop but I'm using an unlocked D855-EUR which may or may not be relevant. Also, unrooted.
There's this if you're interested....may be what you're thinking of....but how trustworthy I don't know:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/lg-g3/general/guide-root-lg-firmwares-kitkat-lollipop-t3056951

The only important difference I've noticed myself with Lollipop, is on my Nexus 5....noticeably worse battery life immediately following the update. Just possibly some other cause, but the finger does point very strongly.

AndroidHabit

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
I don't notice any great differences between Kitkat and Lollipop but I'm using an unlocked D855-EUR which may or may not be relevant. Also, unrooted.
There's this if you're interested....may be what you're thinking of....but how trustworthy I don't know:
[Guide]LG One Click Root - root LG firmwares… | LG G3 | XDA Forums

The only important difference I've noticed myself with Lollipop, is on my Nexus 5....noticeably worse battery life immediately following the update. Just possibly some other cause, but the finger does point very strongly.

I think I found a one click root method, do you know if xposed is working stable on lollipop?

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
No, but I'll try to grab a response from a techie guy.

havensed

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Have an LG G3 running lollipop and for the first time since my droid x i am not rooted, this phone is so smooth that the only reason i see to root is to use titanium backup and root explorer..

sent from LGG3 with lollipop

AndroidHabit

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
Have an LG G3 running lollipop and for the first time since my droid x i am not rooted, this phone is so smooth that the only reason i see to root is to use titanium backup and root explorer..

I agree it is a little smoother but I haven't loaded all the apps I use and like to have on my phone.
There are more reasons to root than just backing up things and searching for them.
I will root tomorrow and see how it goes.

tardus

May 26, 2014
Visit site

Most of us don't really need Titanium Backup - I used "LG Backup Service" to back up and restore:
SMS & MMS
Call logs
Apps from Play store (and Amazon!)
Settings

After updating to 5.01 I reset my phone and got everything restored easily. Of course there are many reasons why root is needed.

AndroidHabit

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
Alright got my phone on 5.0.1 rooted today, the lg one click root method did seem to get stuck saying "rooting" and my device showed 0% for long time, so I just canceled the program and removed my battery and rebooted.
Once it rebooted sure enough it was rooted and supersu was installed.

Now to time to get xposed installed properly, anyone know of the best and easy way to do so?
I see there are a couple extra steps to do so with lollipop but is that the only way right now?

Jmathewg

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
Alright so I just got my replacement yesterday and my worry came true.
They sent me a G3 with Lollipop installed.
So now I'm wondering what should I do, should I call them and say I don't want it?
I already factory reset my old one and would have to start over but I don't want the same lag issues.

I hate the fact that Lollipop is ART only and its different to root it but I can do it.
Some of the apps I used will probably not work now and it just plain sucks because I didn't want Lollipop.

Did you have to send in your G3 before they sent you a new one?

AndroidHabit

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
Did you have to send in your G3 before they sent you a new one?

No I have had my phone replaced twice already and I have never sent my phone in first.
They send me the refurbished one first within 5-6 days and then I have 10 days to return the bad one.
If you don't return it within that time they will charge you full price for the phone.
They might only do this because my AT&T account is a business one but maybe not.

Jmathewg

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
No I have had my phone replaced twice already and I have never sent my phone in first.
They send me the refurbished one first within 5-6 days and then I have 10 days to return the bad one.
If you don't return it within that time they will charge you full price for the phone.
They might only do this because my AT&T account is a business one but maybe not.

So you dont get a brand new phone? I bought my g3 from tmobile brand new. I wouldnt be getting a brand new one from lg if returned it ?

AndroidHabit

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
So you dont get a brand new phone? I bought my g3 from tmobile brand new. I wouldnt be getting a brand new one from lg if returned it ?

All warrantied phones from AT&T at least are refurbished, I don't know if Tmobile would supply a brand new phone for warranty.

AndroidHabit

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
So you didnt get it from LG? Manufacturing warranty is through LG and not a carrier as far as I know.

You have an initial 15 days to return the phone at the store if you are not happy.
They will replace it right then and there.
Once you are past the 15 days then you still have a 1 year warranty, all you have to do with AT&T is call them and they send out the replacement along with return labels for your old phone.
I don't contact LG to get a replacement because AT&T still takes care of everything.
Not sure how Tmobile handles warranties.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MRG582