Water damaged 5x not detected by computer

Poootaatoooo

Aug 18, 2016
Visit site
so i had a bootloader unlocked, rooted honor 5x running cyanogenmod, and it got waterdamaged, i was away from home at that moment, so there was about half an hour of a delay before i was able to put it in rice (i turned it off almost immediately after getting water damaged) unfortunately, the smallest torx screwdriver i have is a t6, so i couldnt take off the back to let it dry more, after 24 hours, i tried it, and everything was fine, and the camera wasn't foggy or anything, i was planning to do a full reset anyway, so i went into twrp, wiped everything except microsd, and tried to install cm 13, but it gave me an error about timezone thing, and apparently its fixed by installing the stock marshmallow rom first, then cyanogenmod, so i got the stock recovery img, put it on my sd, flashed it with twrp, and installed the latest UPDATE.APP and now im on stock marshmallow, so then I started to try to get twrp back on it, and it wasn't detected by my pc, hisuite drivers, pdanet drivers, nothing works. charging still works fine though, i tried 3 dif cables (all worked for data in the past anyway). If I buy a replacement micro USB port, will it most likely fix this? Or is there another culprit for this problem?

TLDR;
My honor 5x was water damaged, it's now fully working, but I can't use any cable for data, just charging, so I'm unable to use adb or fastboot, will a replacement micro USB port fix it, or is there another culprit?

Last edited:

Poootaatoooo

Aug 18, 2016
Visit site
Honestly I couldn't care less about adb, I transfer files with airdroid, I need fastboot to install twrp again though.also, sometimes, my phone stops charging for a second or two, I already ordered a replacement micro USB board and all the tools I need, I'll update in about a week when they get here if it works

Poootaatoooo

Aug 18, 2016
Visit site
In the meantime, is there any way to disable the charging sound when a charger is plugged in? Since the port is messed up, every few minutes it does the sound a few times, and it gets really annoying

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
In the meantime, is there any way to disable the charging sound when a charger is plugged in? Since the port is messed up, every few minutes it does the sound a few times, and it gets really annoying
Did you check in the phone's sound settings?

Poootaatoooo

Aug 18, 2016
Visit site
This definitely took longer than I would've liked, the tools and replacement charging board came within a week, but the torx t3 that i ordered was too big, so i had to order a t2 (couldn't find anything smaller than t3 locally), too small, so i decided to stab one of my good ginsu knives into the screw so it stuck, and twisted, and it came out in like 2 seconds. I'm not sure if I should feel stupid for not thinking of that, or if I should feel stupid for trying that, but its working now and im installing twrp, so I'm good,

TL;DR
F*ck screwdrivers, just grab a knife