Weather app GPS alerts

dcont78

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
Re: Android weather app alerts
I'm looking for an app that has GPS based weather alerts. Not city/town based like most are. For example, my town is in two counties. On the weather channel app, even with my location on, I get severe alerts for the wrong county. And the county I live in is 50 miles north to south; I'm toward the southern part. Anyone know of any apps that provide alerts based off of your GPS location? (Again, not one that gets your location and then gives you all the warnings for the county you're in). I saw that the premium+ AccuWeather has customized notifications but I don't know what that means. I emailed their support and got a cut/paste response that didn't answer my question. 🤷 And I ain't paying 20 bucks a year for the same thing others give you for free.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I think the way most work is they use your GPS location to find the nearest weather reporting station in their network, then your local info and alerts are based off that station's location. I wouldn't be surprised if you don't find what you are looking for, as I imagine it would be rather resource intensive to essentially cross reference multiple stations to determine which alerts cover your specific coordinates. You may be able to manually enter your preferred reporting location to get something more accurate.

For alerts, they are usually issued county wide. About the only exception is tornado and severe thunderstorm warnings, though they are usually large enough to cover an entire county. So even if the severe weather is nowhere near you, you could still get an alert because the national weather service issued the alert in a way that covers your location anyway.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dxter