Well, I'm Rooted, Now What??

cloak.n.dagger

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
Cool. I've heard some sweet things about MIUI, so that's #2 on my list :D

1 last thing: since I already have backups of my stock Rom, and my stock rooted Rom, should I do a nandroid backup for either of these before flashing, or not bother right now?

Yes, make sure to back up the current ROM image you are on now. If things so south on you and you restore your stock ROM you will lose your root access and have to rerun the entire root process again (not to bad with unrevoked but a pain in the a$$ when you do it the long way).

Reactions: mattchew86

Klubhead

Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
Well, I got it all back up and running and my first impression is HOLY SH*T it's fast, wow!

I'll continue to play with it and figure things out as I go. One thing I would like to know is where did my NASCAR app go? I'm one of the VERY few that actually use that occasionally. I'm really glad a lot of the other bloat-ware is gone, but I was hoping to keep that one. Not a big deal, just wondering.

what rom did you go with?

cloak.n.dagger

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
Well, I got it all back up and running and my first impression is HOLY SH*T it's fast, wow!

I'll continue to play with it and figure things out as I go. One thing I would like to know is where did my NASCAR app go? I'm one of the VERY few that actually use that occasionally. I'm really glad a lot of the other bloat-ware is gone, but I was hoping to keep that one. Not a big deal, just wondering.

Yeah, most custom ROMs remove all the Sprint apps. If you search the XDA EVO Development thread for "Sprint APKs" you should find a few threads that have download links for the dirrfert Spint apps. You should be able to reinstall the NASCAR app via the apk.

jeffreytz

Mayor of Awesometown
Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Nandroid backups are Nandroid backups, right?

Dumb question I'm sure, but just to be safe: all nandroid backups are essentially the "same" in the sense that if I create a nandroid backup with Clockworkmod and later switch to RA Recovery I can still restore the backup created under Clockworkmod, correct?

Thanks

jeffreytz

Mayor of Awesometown
Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I went with Myn's Warm TwoPointTwo So far so good, I really like it. So much smoother than before and so FAST!

I just loaded Myn's as well last night (first one, this thread got me rolling!) and really like it as well, especially the quick bluetooth/wifi/4G/flashlight switches in the notification pull down window, reminds me of webOS and very handy. And the reboot options on the power down menu are great.

I tried a couple of the add-ons and had mixed results. The Darkstar/Coconut fonts were a must for me, the default font was to thin/light for my old eyes :) I tried the Gingerbread launcher but quickly set the default back to HTC as I lost all my Sense widgets. Funny thing; after installing the gingerbread launcher the theme for the Market was back to the "standard" green, not the "warm" theme.

The browser speed "fix" didn't seem to do much for me; I'm using Dolphin HD as my default and AndroidCentral takes forever to load either way. Also haven't noticed a difference with the data throttle governor removed but I haven't really hammered the data yet. I also loaded wrx4memp's Warm 3 BootAnimation, pretty cool :)

I also learned that the 3.x version of Clockworkmod is for Gingerbread; when I tried loading the add on scripts it told me that "method" was no longer supported; reverting back to 2.5.0.7 fixed that. It's kind of annoying that Rom Manager keeps reminding me there's an update for Clockworkmod Recovery every time I launch it even though I'm on 2.2/Froyo, but at least it made it super easy to revert back.

Also have one glitch - I can't get Weatherbug Elite to load again. For some reason its not in my Titanium Backup and when I try to install it from the market, it downloads but then never installs. All other apps have loaded/updated fine.

Husker Z

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I just loaded Myn's as well last night (first one, this thread got me rolling!) and really like it as well, especially the quick bluetooth/wifi/4G/flashlight switches in the notification pull down window, reminds me of webOS and very handy. And the reboot options on the power down menu are great.

I tried a couple of the add-ons and had mixed results. The Darkstar/Coconut fonts were a must for me, the default font was to thin/light for my old eyes :) I tried the Gingerbread launcher but quickly set the default back to HTC as I lost all my Sense widgets. Funny thing; after installing the gingerbread launcher the theme for the Market was back to the "standard" green, not the "warm" theme.

The browser speed "fix" didn't seem to do much for me; I'm using Dolphin HD as my default and AndroidCentral takes forever to load either way. Also haven't noticed a difference with the data throttle governor removed but I haven't really hammered the data yet. I also loaded wrx4memp's Warm 3 BootAnimation, pretty cool :)

I also learned that the 3.x version of Clockworkmod is for Gingerbread; when I tried loading the add on scripts it told me that "method" was no longer supported; reverting back to 2.5.0.7 fixed that. It's kind of annoying that Rom Manager keeps reminding me there's an update for Clockworkmod Recovery every time I launch it even though I'm on 2.2/Froyo, but at least it made it super easy to revert back.

Also have one glitch - I can't get Weatherbug Elite to load again. For some reason its not in my Titanium Backup and when I try to install it from the market, it downloads but then never installs. All other apps have loaded/updated fine.

How do you access those "add-ons" after getting started back up?

jeffreytz

Mayor of Awesometown
Apr 22, 2010
Visit site

The ones I installed (fonts, data governor, gingerbread launcher, internet fix) are just "there" in the rom/system after you install them via Recovery. Once you reboot they're not part of the system (i.e. I went to recovery, installed the .zip file for the fonts, rebooted and could see right away the fonts were now different).

I don't think there's anyway to control these, if you install them they're there, if you want to get rid of them you need to revert to a previous nandroid backup without them (or probably just reflash the original version of that rom). I haven't seen anything that lets me "uninstall" any of the add-ons.

The gingerbread launcher is an exception at least from a control standpoint; I was able to clear the default settings in the app manager and then when I backed out to the home screen I got the pop-up asking me which launcher to use, HTC Launcher or Gingerbread, and I picked HTC with the "default" option checked.

jeffreytz

Mayor of Awesometown
Apr 22, 2010
Visit site

Oh, in case your question was how do you get the add-ons in the first place, there's a list of them on the post on XDA [ROM] Myn?s Warm TwoPointTwo - [RLS 5 - 01/07/2011] - More Than Meets The Eye! - xda-developers just after the install instructions (scroll until you see "Other Optional Downloads" in the first post). You download them, put them on your SD card, and then navigate to them via Rom Manager or by booting into Recovery and loading them from the SD card. You just do the load, don't do any wipes or anything.

I download mine to my "android" Dropbox directory and then use Dropbox to download them to my SD card.

jeffreytz

Mayor of Awesometown
Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Figured out my problem with Weatherbug - It is in my Titanium backup but just wasn't installed (I found it way down at the bottom of the list). There must be something that keeps a "titanium uninstalled" app from reinstalling from the market even if you download it. I just hit restore and that solved the issue. Not sure why it didn't restore during the original batch job with everything else, but its cool now :)

mattchew86

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site

I think you just answered a question I posted on XDA :p

I was worried about this after installing RM, but now I know it's true.

Thanks, bro.

dustin_thewind

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Install the latest Cyanogenmod Rom - CM7 RC1. It's still a work in progress, but everything is working and it's SUPER fast. You can download and install it via Rom Manager(from the Market)

If you want to remove all of that bloatware, download Titanium Backup from the market. This is a great app to get used to.

I just downloaded ROm manager and Titanium Backup...when I ran tit. b/u, it says "sorry, I could not acquire root privliges. I am rooted using Unrevoked.

thanks!

jeffreytz

Mayor of Awesometown
Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I just downloaded ROm manager and Titanium Backup...when I ran tit. b/u, it says "sorry, I could not acquire root privliges. I am rooted using Unrevoked.

Be sure to hit the "Problems?" button at the bottom right corner of the Titanium backup Overview screen, it probably needs to install/update BusyBox. That fixed it for me :)

Husker Z

May 17, 2010
Visit site
After playing with this ROM for a week or so, I'm going to try the CM7 one today. The one complaint I have on the Warm 2.2 one is that my Weather Channel app was REALLY laggy, to the point I couldn't even use it, for the most part.

We'll see how this CM7 is, I've read it's awesome.

Husker Z

May 17, 2010
Visit site
After playing with this ROM for a week or so, I'm going to try the CM7 one today. The one complaint I have on the Warm 2.2 one is that my Weather Channel app was REALLY laggy, to the point I couldn't even use it, for the most part.

We'll see how this CM7 is, I've read it's awesome.

mattchew86

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
You download them, put them on your SD card, and then navigate to them via Rom Manager or by booting into Recovery and loading them from the SD card. You just do the load, don't do any wipes or anything.

I download mine to my "android" Dropbox directory and then use Dropbox to download them to my SD card.

Another question answered. Damn, man. Thanks :)

reverepats

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
**NEW ROOTER HERE**......CAN someone tell me if its nessesary to wipe and factory reset before flashing a new ROMS?.....im about 1 hour new into rooting so bare with me LOL....thanks in advance guys

reverepats

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
ok i sucessfully flased CM 6.1.2 just because it was a stable ROM....are there acual themes I can put on here or do i just use my LP Pro and change everything myself?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xak47d