What cases have you found?

Talderon

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
I like the Terra Guard S case a lot. The hinge doesn't bother me at all. Certainly adds bulk but the obvious benefit is worth it, that being the S Pen is stored inside. I am not too concerned about it laying flat on a table while it is open. And actually, when it is open the tilt of the phone acts like a kickstand and video viewing is better with the tilt. I have also written on the screen with the S Pen when on a table with the screen tilted as such with no issues. This case isn't coming off anytime soon as it ticks all the boxes of what I need in a case.

Sweet, I feel about the same! :D

Thanks!

area52

Dec 19, 2009
Visit site
Well I landed on the 25% off on the spinning wheel on VRS's website so I pulled the trigger on the Terra guard s. Wish they had other colors like the regular Terra guard but a lighter colored one would probably make it look even bigger

area52

Dec 19, 2009
Visit site
Just reporting back my experience. It is just like the Terra guard regular with the magnets in the hinge protector. So it unfortunately doesn't solve the s-pen dead spots. But, that being said, I use my s-pen so infrequently that it doesn't really matter.

Attached is a screen grab showing the dead spots caused by the magnets in the hinge
0d546c83ed972e68638ef212e966c6b0.jpg

KupKrazy

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Just reporting back my experience. It is just like the Terra guard regular with the magnets in the hinge protector. So it unfortunately doesn't solve the s-pen dead spots. But, that being said, I use my s-pen so infrequently that it doesn't really matter.

Attached is a screen grab showing the dead spots caused by the magnets in the hinge

Any idea why they put magnets in the hinge protector? To me, that is a killer especially when that housing keeps the pen and this nullifies it on some parts of the screen.

One problem I do have with the VRS hinge protection cases is that the flap slides over the front cover screen versus the Spigen on that slides over the back cover. The reason is if you are trying to take a selfie using the main cameras, and the front cover screen as your viewfinder, you front cover screen is now obstructed by the hinge protector. I found this to be a very weird decision to have it slide this way unless they thought that the cover screen will never be utilized with the phone open.

area52

Dec 19, 2009
Visit site
Seems the magnets are there to hold the Flap stationary. I wish spigen would merge their hinge protector with the case that holds the s- pen. I'd buy that tomorrow

Jewels81

Aug 12, 2016
Visit site
I got this case today, and wanted to provide some thoughts, most specifically in how it compares to the Spigen Slim Armor Pro... the other case with a similar hinge protector that this replaces.

If you're interested in making your phone lightweight... use one of these types of cases for a few months, then take it off.

I never knew a lousy 2 ounces could make such a difference, lol.

1) The hinge protector is bigger, protrudes out more, due to needing to hold the SPen. This makes the overall package wider when closed, but not an issue for me, but it might matter to others.

2) I... like some reviewers of the Spigen said about it... actually like that the hinge protector actually makes the phone easier to hold when opened. This hinge protector being a bit bigger, actually makes it even easier to hold than the Spigen.

3) For some reason... I'm guessing due to the various cut out/textured design of this case vs the just flat design of the Spigen... I fumble, and almost drop, the phone every time I open it. I never, not once, had any issues opening the Spigen. Hopefully, with more practice, this issue will go away.

4) For the cut out for the volume/power/FPS buttons, the back part actually has a lip to it, the Spigen was flush over that area. This makes it harder to touch/press those buttons, since at times my finger hits the lip of the cut out, not the buttons.

5) Speaking of cut outs, they all line up perfectly over the speakers and mic.

6) The need for the adhesive strips. I ended up having to use them on the Spigen since the left side of the case kept shifting off to the left every time I opened it. Pro tip, cut the adhesive strip portion that would otherwise cover the antenna cover off so there's no strip there; upper right side. Too many reports of the cover being ripped off when removing the case. HOWEVER, I have NOT needed to use the adhesive strips that came with this case. Again, for whatever reason, there's no shifting or anything when I open the phone, it all just fits, and stays on.

7) A biggie folks here seem to be concerned with. The metal pieces inside the hinge, and potential scratching. There were similar concerns with the Spigen, though the hinge protector is designed a bit differently, it does have some metal. First off, if you have one of these cases, watch closely along the hinge as you slowly open it, you'll see that there's no way those pieces can touch the hinge, they never come near it. Now, the Spigen was a bit different... the metal also never came near the hinge when opening, BUT, if the metal broke away from the plastic piece holding it, it most assuredly scratched the hinge. I followed a reviewer's suggestion, and put a strip of black electrical tape along the hinge... so even if some piece of metal from the hinge protector rubbed it, there'd be no scratches on the hinge. Some people were aghast at putting adhesive/tape on the hinge... to those folks I say... uh, relax, lol

Nice info. Thanks. I was waiting for them to come out with green but got tired of waiting so I just ordered the black a little bit ago. I have a question. In a more recent post I saw someone post a pic of the magnets in hinge protector causing issues with the spen making dead spots or whatever you call it. Do you have that same issue?

Jewels81

Aug 12, 2016
Visit site

Yikes. Is it still doing it?

Yguideslou

May 25, 2013
Visit site
Nice info. Thanks. I was waiting for them to come out with green but got tired of waiting so I just ordered the black a little bit ago. I have a question. In a more recent post I saw someone post a pic of the magnets in hinge protector causing issues with the spen making dead spots or whatever you call it. Do you have that same issue?

I haven't, no... and I use my Spen exclusively for coloring so there's lots of scribbling, lol.

Jewels81

Aug 12, 2016
Visit site
I haven't, no... and I use my Spen exclusively for coloring so there's lots of scribbling, lol.

Lol. That's cool. Hopefully be the same for me. I'm not a heavy spen user so maybe it won't bother me as much if it did happen to me. I'll sure try it and see when I get it lol. Thanks for the response.

Yogi217

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
Hey all, does anyone know if the Samsung Aramid case lays flat when open?

I tried the Samsung silicone case and liked it except that it didn't lay flat and writing with the S pen in portrait mode was wobbly.

TMavC5

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Hey all, does anyone know if the Samsung Aramid case lays flat when open?

I tried the Samsung silicone case and liked it except that it didn't lay flat and writing with the S pen in portrait mode was wobbly.

No, slight rock on each side.

missionsparta

Jun 8, 2017
Visit site
Alright think I have finally found the case that is my go to. Had a bunch (UAG, Spiegen slim armor pro, Terra, etc). Before this, the best I had was Spiegen slim armor pro. The stickers eventually lost tackiness and the front would move around. the hinge would pop open when being put in and out of my pocket, etc. This new case is one piece. Doesn't seem to require gluing as of my use so far (even though there is one spot for a strip) and since the case is one piece, the hinge cannot open unless you open the phone. Also means no spring, which in the Spiegen is known to break and tear up the phone hinge. it is quality made. Slightly smaller than the Armor pro. only two minor gripes...first, e camera hole sits flush with the camera. I will be putting something on the lenses. Secondly, he hinge, when open leaves about a millimeter gap compared to the Slim Armor, but honestly I think it's my OCD and is a result of where the second hinge on the back tucks into the main hinge. Love it so far and less than half the cost of the Spiegen.

Cenmaso Armor Case Designed for Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 3 Case, Z Fold 3 Case with Hinge Protection,Heavy-Duty Anti-Fall Protective Case for Galaxy Z Fold 3- Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09R3X8NK...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU7046663

jettie1767

Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
Alright think I have finally found the case that is my go to. Had a bunch (UAG, Spiegen slim armor pro, Terra, etc). Before this, the best I had was Spiegen slim armor pro. The stickers eventually lost tackiness and the front would move around. the hinge would pop open when being put in and out of my pocket, etc. This new case is one piece. Doesn't seem to require gluing as of my use so far (even though there is one spot for a strip) and since the case is one piece, the hinge cannot open unless you open the phone. Also means no spring, which in the Spiegen is known to break and tear up the phone hinge. it is quality made. Slightly smaller than the Armor pro. only two minor gripes...first, e camera hole sits flush with the camera. I will be putting something on the lenses. Secondly, he hinge, when open leaves about a millimeter gap compared to the Slim Armor, but honestly I think it's my OCD and is a result of where the second hinge on the back tucks into the main hinge. Love it so far and less than half the cost of the Spiegen.

Cenmaso Armor Case Designed for Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 3 Case, Z Fold 3 Case with Hinge Protection,Heavy-Duty Anti-Fall Protective Case for Galaxy Z Fold 3- Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09R3X8NK...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU7047164

I've dinged the hinge on my fold 3 because I'm using the Aramid case. Now looking for something to protect it but it seems like both the Spigen and this one adds a lot of bulk on the phone?

missionsparta

Jun 8, 2017
Visit site
This one adds less. Installed the case/phone is 6⅜" x 2¾" x ⅞". I prefer this over the Spiegen Slim Armor Pro. Feel the Hinge is a lot more solid and no worry of the spring breaking and causing damage. Have noticed that while the outside screen has a ¹/16" raised lip, the inside screen sits flush with the inside raised lip. Honestly not to worried, because I think with the size of the interior screen, dropping it will most likely cause screen damage that would occur with any reasonable size lip. I do believe there is a reason for this though. The extra lip on the Spiegen never let the phone actually close fully as to how the phone was designed as it would rest closed on the lips. I always felt like it made the phone a little prone to opening on its own which worried me with drops. With the lip dropped lower on this case, the phone actually comes fully closed and sits on the two small "pads" on the edge as intended and feels more securley closed. I'm also using the Spiegen camera lens guard and it fits in the slot for the camera on this case. All the cut outs are where they should be. Power button and volume are left bare, similar to how the Spigen Slim Armor pro is. The only adhesive strip it comes with is one on the left side of the outer screen, which is an odd place i thought. I did notice i could pull the right side of the outer screen about half a mm out. I just used a little piece of 3M adhesive and no linger. It was almost unoticable unless i yanked on it, which triggered ny OCD. Again, between the two I think you are losing the small lip on the interior screen of the Slim Armor pro in exchange for a car sturdier hinge protection and and a little less bulk. I was worried about this being typical Chinese junk but figured I'd take a shot for the price. Pleasantly surprised.

jettie1767

Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
This one adds less. Installed the case/phone is 6⅜" x 2¾" x ⅞". I prefer this over the Spiegen Slim Armor Pro. Feel the Hinge is a lot more solid and no worry of the spring breaking and causing damage. Have noticed that while the outside screen has a ¹/16" raised lip, the inside screen sits flush with the inside raised lip. Honestly not to worried, because I think with the size of the interior screen, dropping it will most likely cause screen damage that would occur with any reasonable size lip. I'm also using the Spiegen camera lens guard and it fits in the slot for the camera on this case. All the cut outs are where they should be. Power button and volume are left bare, similar to how the Spigen Slim Armor pro is. Again, between the two I think you are losing the small lip on the interior screen of the Slim Armor pro in exchange for a car sturdier hinge protection and and a little less bulk.

Thanks. I'll give it a try.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FredDev