What happened to Android Central??

beagle82

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
Android Central used to be the first of a few sites that I would open daily when browsing for interesting articles and content. Slowly but surely, I found myself visiting less and less.
There just weren't many interesting articles that caught my attention anymore.
I haven't visited in a while now, but it seems to have gotten worse.
Articles now consist of discounts on t-shirts at Amazon! Sure, Amazon have an android app, but how is this content relevant?
I could go on about the other weak articles and content, but I think you get the point.
Android Central finds itself in a sad state!
This used to be the best website for reviews and Android content ( in my opinion), but seems to have lost its way.
To be honest, atleast for me, the slow decline started when Phil stepped down. Now it's going downhill fast!
I'm not trying to have a go here, but surely I'm not the only one who feels this way. Am I?

Atleast the forums still seem to be alive and well. But then again, I haven't been around here in a while either.

marcb11

Dec 19, 2016
Visit site
The site is pathetic. Fluff articles with click bait titles, article after article about the best X or Y you can buy on thrifter or Amazon, rehashed articles written by other sources and ad after ad on the home screen.

I particularly found the recent article on Men's shirts from Amazon a compelling read. The in-depth reporting was Pulitzer level.

It's a waste of time visiting the website. Better sources for real Android news and content.

Last edited:

beagle82

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
The site is pathetic. Fluff articles with click bait titles, article after article about the best X or Y you can buy on thrifter or Amazon, rehashed articles written by other sources and ad after ad on the home screen.

I particularly found the recent article on Men's shirts from Amazon a compelling read. The in-depth reporting was Pulitzer level.

It's a waste of time visiting the website. Better sources for real Android news and content.
These are exactly my thoughts. I can't believe that a once great site has declined to this level.
I think they are all for quantity over quality. A lot of articles, but very little worth reading.

Itsa_Me_Mario

¯\_(o_o)_/¯
Feb 19, 2018
Visit site
The main blog died slightly before Phil "left", but it took some time to bleed out. Now it's all about quantity of content, not quality. The integrity of reviews went WAY downhill, the volume of great content from Jerry has gone done, we have people who don't even know what Chromebooks are "reviewing them" (quotes because all they're doing is providing an affiliate link to Amazon" with no information about the device being provided that can't be gleaned from the spec sheet).

Most of the breaking news is coming from AP, 9/5 and VB - those each have issues of their own, but at least the majority of their content is a) on the topics they're dedicated to, b) timely and c) somewhat informative.

Over the last few years I have emailed various sites various scoops. Android Central followed up on 0 of them. AP followed up with questions on several and ran a couple of them as stories. 9to5 followed up with questions, but were slower and then just based their article on AP's, etc.

just a bug

Jan 21, 2019
Visit site
I actually want to know what happened to their android app. I'm almost 100% sure that I had it in my phone at some time in the past. Can't find it now..

Tim1954

Q&A Team
Jan 17, 2016
Visit site
Yes, most "articles" are just advertorials nowadays. I rarely look there now... And if you don't have an adblocker you have to wade through full pages of ads to get to any articles.

badger2727

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
I couldn't agree more with your statements. I think Android Central has very few low level interesting technology articles now. Instead it's just a rehash of well coverved topics moat of the time. I realize many people want general news and don't care about specifics or details, but at one point I got read a detailed analysis of thw underlying technology. They are no longer playing the leak game. I haven't used the actual site in months and the podcast has also become less interesting. I basically am only here for podcast episodes with Jerry. I think Android Central took a pivot to general news, and it may be working for them financially. However, it no longer appeals to me.