What is the best tablet to replace my now broken Nexus 7 (2013)?

TheMarcus

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
I’m looking for a 7” or 8” tablet that can be slipped into my back pocket for easy portability and aiming at $200 or less.

At the $200 price tag, after doing some research, it looks to me like the best choices would either be the Asus Zenpad S 8.0 or the NVidia Shield Tablet K1.

The big dilemma here, though, is that I won’t really use the tablet all that often so I'm not thrilled with spending $200 when there are cheaper options available. It will primarily be used for reading books or comic books, which a $100 budget tablet would be just fine for.

However, it will also be used for some gaming and that’s why I’m hesitant to buy a budget tablet. I'm not a huge fan of handheld gaming and don't plan to do any heavy gaming, but I do have at least one game that it is much more enjoyable on a 7"+ screen than it is on my 5.5" phone. The game I'm playing the most now is Icewind Dale and I'm going to be playing a lot of Baldur's Gate in the future once that gets released. Also, I have a few Final Fantasy games that I've purchased that I'd like to play and would also definitely like to get into the Telltale games (Walking Dead and Game of Thrones) that have been ported to Android. I want a smooth gaming experience when I do find myself playing games.

I feel like for my usage, it just makes more sense to spend closer to $100 than it does to spend closer to $200.

I welcome all opinions and advice. And, other than the two tablets mentioned above, what others would you recommend? Buying a new Nexus 7 is out of the question. I just felt the 16 GB became too limiting at times. I'd also like something lighter (if I'm sticking with a 7" screen).

Thanks.

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Well, in the UK, the Nexus 7 2013 is still available new, including the 32gb version. Not so where you are? It's still pretty unbeatable for the price in my opinion.

Posted via the Android Central App

TheMarcus

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
Well, in the UK, the Nexus 7 2013 is still available new, including the 32gb version. Not so where you are? It's still pretty unbeatable for the price in my opinion.

Posted via the Android Central App
I found the 16 GB for about $170 on Amazon, but for $30 more I could get the Shield.

Tech-Newb

Oct 14, 2015
Visit site
I found the 16 GB for about $170 on Amazon, but for $30 more I could get the Shield.

Well, then buy the shield! Solid future proofing. Maybe sometimes in the future you want to play some games. Thats where the shield comes handy.

Posted with ❤Love❤

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dxter