what will happen to the Note 5 after more than 5 failed fingerprint scanning attempts?

badkitties

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
(newbie question... just bought Note 5 today) :)

what will happen to the Note 5 after more than 5 failed fingerprint scanning attempts?

does it just start demanding that you enter the back-up password? how many times can you enter the wrong password?

not that I'm going to attempt it or anything, of course. worst case scenario: what if I completely forget my back-up password and none of my fingerprints can be recognized for whatever reason? Does the phone become bricked?

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
For some reason, I run into this only when I'm golfing. Not sure why that happens.
I don't know if there's a limit for entering the wrong password, though.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

drewood31601

Aug 13, 2012
Visit site
If you forget your password, the phone then will allow you to log in with the Google email and password that is on the phone. Happened to me last night

Posted via the Android Central App

Last edited:

JanShim

Sep 3, 2015
Visit site
For some reason, I run into this only when I'm golfing. Not sure why that happens.
I don't know if there's a limit for entering the wrong password, though.

Fingerprint scanning doesn't work with sweaty fingers. Friends and I experience the same after hiking and badminton.

DK Houston

Dec 20, 2015
Visit site
Drewood, I hope you have the magic solution. I managed to hit the limit on fingerprint tries because my hands were dirty. I have two tries left on the password. I have tried my typical passwords. My last attempt was using my Gmail password, which I presume is stored in the phone, since it accesses my gmail account without any problem. What do you have to do, other than entering the password in the lock screen?

ninnjinn

Aug 16, 2014
Visit site
I don't know exactly what all will happen, but I do know when you are setting your phone up you have the option after so many failed attempts it does a factory reset wipes everything out

Posted via the Android Central App

russel5150

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site
Whwn you set up the fingerprint it should have asked for a backup password.

Depending on the setting, after too many wrong attemps it will factory reset your phone. I have that turned off, but i think it is on by default.

Again, when u set up the fingerprints it should have made you pick a back up password

Sent with my white Note5 with nonremovable back and no SDcard!

Mike_786

Sep 30, 2015
Visit site
Okay guys I had a problem earlier with my password. So I got my finger print wrong multiple times which then told me to enter my password. I couldn't remember my password so it told me to retrieve my password by email. Now the problem was that I couldn't turn on my mobile data or wifi from the lock screen. Everytime I clicked the wifi or data toggle from the notification page nothing would happen. So how can I toggle wifi and data from the lockscreen?

russel5150

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site
It wont let you if the screen is locked. Kind of a saftey feature...

Sent with my white Note5 with nonremovable back and no SDcard!

badkitties

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
If the fingerprint scan fails 5 times, the Note 5 begins to smoke then catch fire

should I contact the IMF(Impossible Missions Force) for a replacement Note 5? my Note 5 doesn't start to smoke or catch fire or enter self-destruct mode after multiple failed fingerprint scanning attempts. :( I assume the agency should just give me a new Note 5 that will? :)

Alan FL

Nov 17, 2015
Visit site
Granted, I'm a senior citizen, but I write down all my passwords and keep them in the same place.
When I run into a need for them, I know where to find them (if I'm home that is).

prolongExistence

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
On my s6edge I have had too many failed fingerprints. Then it asks for the Backup Password, which I forgot. So then it allows you to log in to your gmail account but you have to have internet access. Once you log into your gmail it will unlock your phone & the lock screen will now be disabled. In other words, it will revert back to the simple swipe to unlock. Then you just have to go back into the security settings and re-enable the fingerprint lock. My wife has the Note 5 but she doesn't like the fingerprint lock so I can't tell you for certain that it works the same way. I would imagine that it would, it's basically all the same software.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
max mays