What's the point of the micro SD card? Can't save apps to SD...

themagicm

Aug 3, 2011
Visit site
I'm totally confused. I'm a novice, and "not young", so I get confused easily.
I just upgraded my Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket (i727) to Jelly Bean.
Now my phone's memory (not cache or RAM, but on device storage) is nearly full.

So I went to Setup>Application Manager
And moved as many apps as I could to my SD card.
Now the icons on my screens are ghosts with a little SD in the corner of the icon,
and it says the app is not installed.

I am tired of re-installing apps every time I try anything in Jelly Bean. My phone ran better with ICS.
Samsung needs to get up to speed on user support and fix the way Jell Bean runs on this model.

Anyone know what I can do in the meantime?

I did the same thing... I'm running 4.2.2, I give it a few seconds then the grayed out icons with SD on them turn into the regular icons they are supposed to be. I'm guessing its mounting the sd card and then syncs up and its all good. Works great here.

dboz555

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
Re: What's the point of the micro SD card? Can't save apps to SD.

First off tablet or no tablet the Android OS is designed to compete with Microsoft and be so robust it can be configured to any type of device. The problem is Google and the companies that put the Android OS on their devices have an issue with letting users have control. These companies think users are to stupid to configure devices correctly so they lock you out. I have a 10" tablet and it has all the same problems with the SD card. To top it off the Android OS has a serious memory problem managing memory.

howieleem

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
The problem i have is that the Satnav App i want to load onto my Samsung Ace 2 uses maps loaded onto the phone. The maps are 1035 Meg and the total onboard memory is only 1200 Meg, and not possible to free up enough space. If i could load onto the ext memory there would not be a problem.

howieleem

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
The problem i have is that the Satnav App i want to load onto my Samsung Ace 2 uses maps loaded onto the phone. The maps are 1035 Meg and the total onboard memory is only 1200 Meg, and not possible to free up enough space. If i could load onto the ext memory there would not be a problem.

I just had another look at the App and it gives the option to change storage when you load the maps, so problem solved.

Dennis Ebo Quaye

Nov 28, 2013
Visit site
Ok, I tried to instal X-plore. it works like good managing all your Apps and files. You can easily move them around from internal memory to external memory. The only bad thing about it is , your apps will be uninstalled but you can simply install them later. Works fine with music and pictures

bfriskey

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
REALLY ??!?!? WHY ???!!?!?​

Because it forces you to place ALL OF YOUR PERSONAL DATA ON THEIR SERVERS !! Why else do you think! Every calendar entry, every text, every note , every list, every reminder even those which have personal data such as your daughters first "ummmm 'period' listed'..every anniversary. every bday, every visit from Mom, every time Mom fell down, every time you had a hemorrhoid treatment----all on, and sold, on the web by every one in the loop===MicroSoft, Google, verizon, At&t,and all those cool little discount CLUB CARS you use gives everyone willing to pay the entire story of your life and believe me ADVERTISERS ARE TELEMARKETERS WHICH BY EXTENSION MAKES THEM THE WORST SCUM ON TH PLANET --AND YOU TRUST ANY OF YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION TO THEM !!!! REALLY ??!?!?!?!?!? you name it and there are even companies who you never heard of that know when your next period is..SO wake up and demand it stop !!..Maybe you feel that the kind of wine you were instructed to pick up by your wife's SMS, the groacery list.. etc etc etc is not important ,,,but THINK !!!! ..why do you think they started with the int SD CARD directory ??? Now you have to use EXT-SDcard..What crap..Ii am done...I'll use this old phone as a PDA and mapdroyd GPS and a cheapo clamshell phone for calls ..Done--If we all did this it sure would backfire on these greedy thieving bastards ! I don't know about you but I'll save a $100 .mo per phone by doing so and these bastards won't have all my information !! How many of you signed up with real names, bdays, and addresses etc ? me ? NEVER ! Hey I just read you have another psychiatrist appointment next Wednesday--enjoy..
I hope that answers your question because if it doesn't I agree with Darwin It's time to thin the heard.... Oh, and ANYONE who tells you that 16 or 32 gb is PLENTY is an ***** who uses a smart phone because it has a pretty color....HOW CAN THEY ADVISE YOU IF THEY DON'T EVEN KNOW HOW MUCH MUSIC YOU HAVE..HOW MANY GPS PROGRAMS YOU NEED TO RUN ALONG WITH ALL THE ASSOCIATED MAPS ETC...... So to all those geniuses who say 16 is enough is a fool..The new apps are more functional, require larger files, demand more frequent updates, store more data, and FORCE you to move your PERSONAL information to the web..So the new apps demand more space, the at&t's, verizons and lying straightalks of the world are reducing data availability and charging a higher rate while you have idiots saying you need less LOCAL STORAGE..I can only say FOOLS ! Less storage, more data needed, higher prices for data, = idiots use less local storage.
UPDATE..THEY HAVE NOW ELIMINATED THE POSSIBILITY OF USING EXTERNAL STORAGE VIA USB FORM YOUR PHONE !!! WHY WOULD THEY DO THAT !!!!!!!!! Now you have no way to reduce carrier data, and thieving online "clouds" the "clouds" are dark and they mean a very bad day..I have over 50gb of music ALONE that I WANT TO KEEP ON MY PHONE-they want me to use the CLOUD so they can charge you $9 /month to listen to MY MUSIC !! You starting to get the idea now ?!

extraclass

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
BFRISKY,

Well said! No one gives you "free cloud space" because they want to help you! Text your friends that you want to purchase your spouse an Invicta watch for the next birthday and ask if they know where to get a good deal! See what kind of junk mail you start getting!

HopeC

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
I just bought my son a Tablet a few weeks ago. He has only downloaded about 4 games. They've taken up almost all his memory. Is there any way to get games on the sd card? I've heard that it's not possible. And I've read ot here. I am not a tech person. Can I go on the PC and put games on the sd card? Or is it not possible at all?

Tiggredcat

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site
It took me all night to remember how to move them (I've done it before, but I lost my Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 to my daughter for the last 6 months or so.

Alrighty then...Click on your applications/widgets tab on the top right of your screen on your tablet. Once there look for "My Files". Click it. Click on "All Files". Once that is open you will see that "storage" is open and you will have two options: "extSdCard" and "sdcard0". Open the "sdcard0" first and click the boxes next to all the games applications, photo files, NOOK (that you would have downloaded from the app that you can get from the play store) and all it's files, Media, DCIM (from your camera), Games, Picturs, Downloads, Podcasts, Playlists, Music, Documents, .pdf files, basically anything that has been downloaded and is non essential to running the tablet. Once those are checked you can go the the left side of the screen and scroll untill you see the folder icon for the "ExtSdCard", leave it there. Go back to the right and press down on one of the files you checked, hold it down until it highlights and slide your finger over to the "extSdCard" file and drop it in over the file icon. Some of the item will ask if you want to replace (if they are already there of if someone has managed to move a few for you) OR...sometimes it will end right back in the "scard0" file again, but I'm guessing it has to be there, so I leave it be. Back out and restart the device. Ta Da. I've had no issues as of yet, but if you have trouble running a program afterwards, simply follow the above steps, but go to the "extSdCard" first, find all files pertaining to the program giving you issue and re-transfer them to the "scard0" file. Follow these steps as needed regularly to free up space. My Sprint customer service guy at my store is fantastic at helping me get around all obstacles and finding all hidden discounts (sometimes being a disabled veteran helps)! I hope this helps everyone who has spend the exhausting hours trying to find answers to this issue. I also hope it's not full of unintelligible jargon you can't understand or follow. ;) TTFN!

Last edited:
May 28, 2015
Visit site
Re: What's the point of the micro SD card? Can't save apps to SD.

hey im wondering if i buy a micro sd card and you have videos from itube downloaded can you store them on the card
by the way if you dont know what itube is its a app which allows you to download youtube vids

Chuck Arkle

Jul 31, 2015
Visit site
first of all the device was not made for a "store everything you will ever want to the tab".. it is a 7" device that was designed to compete with the ereader market..it was never designed to compete with the 10" devices with lots of storage... ie.. 64 gig on ipad or 16 or 32 on regular tab... When selected your pictures are stored on the sd card... you can load movies to the card and watch them from there... you can also purchase the USB adaptor and use flash drives for a lot more stuff...the tab 7 is doing exactly what it was designed to do.. if you need more storage maybe a 7Plus would be a better buy... fortunately Samsung has many tabs to choose from and soon will have two more the Tab Note...

I do not believe this is a function of the size of the tablet. More the firmware or OS. I can save all my apps to SD card if I wish to and it is s Monster M7. But I cannot do this with RCA 7" with Lollipop OS.

Last edited by a moderator:

shock77777

Feb 6, 2010
Visit site
I'm sure by now since it has been two years since you posted this realized it is not just Samsung that doesn't explain that expandable memory does not mean apps, just photo's, videos, documents, etc. I too am one of those people who get so mad that basically this is false advertising by all of these companies and nobody seems to be doing anything about it. It's the old, buyer beware and that is not fair to us consumers. Lack of information is the same thing as lying if you ask me. It makes me sick that day after day I see both QVC and HSN to name just two of the companies who sell the public by deception. And it's not just in phones, tablets, pc's, etc. It's even in something as simple as a frying pan. One company sells more than one kind of 12" non stick frying pans. One can be used on induction stoves and one can't. One can go in an oven up to 370 degrees and the other to 390 degrees. One has a steel bottom (Magnets stick to it) and one has an aluminum bottom (magnets don't stick to it.) One is heavier and better and will last longer, but they're not going to tell you all of this. Sometimes it's in the description, sometimes you don't know until you order, pay and receive both and see for yourself. I am just so sick of all the lies. Sell both if you want, but be honest.
I was watching one last night that said it had an 8" tablet with 8GB Ram in one paragraph, while the next paragraph said it had 8GB of Memory. As I'm sure most people know the difference between memory and ram, but if you think you're buying one and getting the other, that's a totally different story. Funny thing is even after they wrote to tell me thanks for letting them know, 24 hours later, they are still worded the same way. Go figure.

John Pack68

Jul 18, 2015
Visit site
There is no support for apps to SD, so what is the point in having an SD card for this? They may as well have made 40 GB of internal memory...

This is May 28,2016. I own a MavenPro11 RCA Tablet. I am LIVID. I'm one those folks who comes from the era when the IBM Selected typewriter with backspace self correction was state of the art, so forgive my ignorance. I THOUGHT I understood the function of an SD CARD. I have always used them to carry part of my apps, a few files and photos etc. Apparently, this RCA product SD card function is , pardon the expression, bullocky.

another old man

Jul 11, 2016
Visit site
Answering an old post from 2013:
And, depending on the build and if the card is partitioned, the SD root has a folder called 179_1 in it; into which everything that was in the root of the card went. Well not exactly. 179_1 is the mount point for the first partition on the card, so basically it's showing you the partition table for the card.
After you fix the Writing issue, You will still have the 179_1 file. Don't even try writing something to the root. If you do get it there it will sooner or later disappear. You'll just have to point everything to /ext-sd/179_1/*.
My SD has 3 Partitions on it 2 FAT32 and 1 EXT4 which is hidden. When opening the card in android, it gives me 179_1 and 179_2 , the two FAT32 partitions...

You can try to mount the 1st partition manually at boot tine (root required)
Depending on your phone model and android version find an appropriate script.
Try for example
/etc/install-recovery.sh
and fill in lines like
"unmount /mnt/extsd
mount -t vfat -o rw /dev/block/vold/179:1 /mnt/extsd
mount -t vfat -o rw /dev/block/mmcblk1p1 /mnt/extsd
"
That helped in my case to mount the correct root folder of the partition in the right place.
The 179_1 subfolder disappeared.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sáenz