Whats with the fear of backup batteries?

SdotJ

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Pardon me if this comes off wrong because thats far my intent.

My question is why are people afraid of getting extra batteries? The Evo is a beast of a device as most android phones are but they all lack a serious battery. No one should have to turn everything off or barely touch it to get through the day with all of the cheap back up battery options out there. Yet thats whats being advised on most sites which is crazy. No rooted rom or app is going to out do a backup battery and honestly thats the beauty of it. We are not using apples older devices so why are we afraid of backup batteries?

Caitlyn McKenzie

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Because:

A. I don't need to in the first place, my phone makes it through a day with average usage.
B. It's a pain in the ***, and requires a full restart of the phone.
C. It's extra $$$.
D. Requires taking the back door off, which is only held on by plastic tabs. Those will wear down eventually.

MikeBinOK

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
I agree with Vincent Law that the EVO battery isn't designed to be switched out on a daily basis. I also agree with the OP that having to turn off all the cool stuff is no fun. So I shelled out for a 3500 mA battery so that I can get out of the office and away from the charger without fear.

curthibbs

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
I also agree with the previous posters. If you keep your evo in a case (I use Innocase), its even more of a pain to switch the battery.

Anyway, all I need to to do is to turn off 4G and I get 12+ hours of average use, and 3G is plenty fast enough for most stuff. The odd occasion when I really need faster internet bandwidth, I turn on 4G (or if I'm at home it just automatically uses my wifi anyway).

Now that I'm rooted and run a custom ROM, my battery life for normal usage is 15+ hours.

Buckeyes

May 31, 2010
Visit site
I just purchased the Mugen 3200 battery to go along with my Seidio 3500 battery, so I have no need for a spare battery. Both batteries give me a solid two days of use.

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
My EVO easily last me all day long... Typically take it off the charger around 7 - 8 in the morning and by 10pm it's still some where between 20 - 40% depending on use. That being said I do have a spare battery and I never plug the phone up to charge... I charge the spare battery and swap them out every morning before I leave... I seem to get slightly better battery life and I don't have to go through some of these "Charge it until the light turns green, unplug the phone and turn it off and then plug it back up until the light turns green again, unplug and power the phone on and then plug it back up and wait for the light to turn green again and you'll get better battery life." Yeah..... NO!!!!

I get up power my device off swap batteries hit the power button and while it's booting up I take my shower and brush my teeth... By the time I am done with the shower the phone is up and running again. I also have never used or had a case on my EVO so I don't have that hassle.... The tabs on the EVO's back are more sturdy than you would think... I thought the same thing "These freaking plastic tabs are never going to last." Well after June, July, August, September and now October with daily removal of the back and replacing batteries it fits just as snug as it did on day one and none of the tabs show any signs of wear or the back being loose on the phone...

I also don't consider myself a power user... I don't really play any games.. I am using my phone as a............... Well a PHONE!!! lol... Texting, talking and web surfing and Facebook.....

I bought the spare batteries before the June release and actually had the spare battery and wall charger before I even had the phone because of the reviews of the phone... My phone easily last all day but I spent the money on the battery and charger so I swap batteries daily....

prubin

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
Also having a charger is a nuisance -- an extra thing to carry on a trip. (But I just broke down and ordered one -- 4G seems to wear out even the 3500 battery after a long day.)

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Also having a charger is a nuisance -- an extra thing to carry on a trip. (But I just broke down and ordered one -- 4G seems to wear out even the 3500 battery after a long day.)

I travel for a living.. So I always have a suit case, laptop case and usually a backpack as well so a tiny battery and charger are nothing extra to carry... Does not make or break my day.... If I worked in an office Monday - Friday it would be more of a nuisance since I would have to put it in my pocket or remember to carry it with me to work (or as some one else mentioned keep an extra cable at work)

When I had my iPhone and worked in an office I actually had one of those iHome clock radio's on my desk so I could dock my phone at work to insure I had a charge all day and night after work since I couldn't swap out batteries..

Quizshow

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
Most days I don't use my spare batteries much since I have an extra cable and use wifi at work. Only if I get stuck somewhere away from my car do I need to pop the battery. However, they made a huge difference when I was traveling and heavily using navigation, web, etc. I went through all three batteries in an 18-hr period while visting NYC.

27scoob

May 22, 2010
Visit site
Man I been rocking spare batteries in my fifth pocket on my jeans for years started back with my A900 . I work twelve plus hour days and am no where near any places to recharge . I am a heavy user and I don't mind burning my batteries down daily..

eye4ni

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Check out the screen shot, yes, that is pushing 16 hours with 80% battery left. Why in the hell would I want extra batteries when I can get this with my seidio 3500 and NEVER have to remove my battery or worry about plugging in?

bnrbranding

May 31, 2010
Visit site
I've got a car charger and a wall charger at home. I have a couple spare batteries but I never use them. I usually get 12-15 hours so I don't really need the spares. I only use them when I forget to charge overnight and need a fresh charge before heading out.

Dochas

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
I ordered spare batteries + wall charger but mainly for special occasions. Rooted with SetCPU scaling I can get through the day easy, with 40-50% battery left by the time I get home from work with just the stock battery.

This is with no signal trouble and always on wifi at work with doing all my emailing on my phone, playing some games on break and then a bit of twitter/texting; and assuming I don't have any problems with the suspend process freaking out and eating my battery.

That said, if I am traveling to another city and am planning on spending the day out and about, I want a spare battery with me so I can freely use nav/4g/etc without worry. 1-2 mins to swap a battery for no worry full use is not a problem for me, and I don't see why 2 mins is such a huge deal to so many people.

Roscopcoletrain

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Check out the screen shot, yes, that is pushing 16 hours with 80% battery left. Why in the hell would I want extra batteries when I can get this with my seidio 3500 and NEVER have to remove my battery or worry about plugging in?

but thats not a lot of use. Standby & idle are your main uses. Display has hardly been on. Easy to say you get great battery life if you're not using the device very often.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edneil1967