Whatsapp - restoring deleted messages from a local backup

ilesmark

Mar 14, 2018
Visit site
Hi all

I have WhatsApp on my Galaxy S7 which is set to backup to iCloud every 2AM in the usual way. Restoring from the last iCloud backup is straightforward but a few days ago I wanted to restore some messages from a particular day earlier than this. I went onto the WhatsApp website and into the FAQ section where I followed these steps as detailed:

To restore a less recent local backup

Your phone will store up to the last 7 days worth of local backup files (Google Drive will only have the most recent one). If you wish to restore a local backup which is not the most recent one, you will need to do the following:

- Download a file manager app.
In the file manager app, navigate to sdcard/WhatsApp/Databases. If your data is not stored on the SD card, you may see "internal storage" or "main storage" instead of sdcard.
- Rename the backup file you wish to restore from msgstore-YYYY-MM-DD.1.db.crypt12 to msgstore.db.crypt12. It is possible that an earlier backup may be on an earlier protocol, such as crypt9 or crypt10. Do not change the number of the crypt extension.
- Uninstall WhatsApp.
- Install WhatsApp.
- Tap Restore when asked.

Problem - instead of restoring the data I wanted (and I know that the backup file I renamed was the one from the day in question) it restored only the last 24 hours of messages.

Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance

Mark

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sams_s22plus