Which SD card

Buddy1969

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Hi guys

I'm thinking about getting an SD card for my V30. Best one I found so far is the "Lexar Professional 633x SDXC 128GB U3".

I want to record movies in 4K, so I need space. 128 GB is ok because I can copy the result to my NAS at home any time. So I mainly need a fast card with enough space, so I can record without remorse.

What are you using, what do you recommend?

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2016
Visit site
This will likely seem obvious, but do double check that you are getting a Micro SD card not a full sized card.

Also be careful where you buy it.
Most of the cards on eBay are fake.

tardus

May 26, 2014
Visit site
I'd get a U3 - and it may be worth it to get a larger card than needed right now. This is a good one -

Samsung EVO+ 256GB UHS-I microSDXC U3 Memory Card with Adapter (MB-MC256DA/AM), currently around $133 from Amazon. I never compared a U1 to U3.

IMO a 256GB is a sweet spot when considering future proofing.

Aithan

Dec 7, 2017
Visit site
This will likely seem obvious, but do double check that you are getting a Micro SD card not a full sized card.

And make sure Amazon purchases are from Amazon itself and not some other seller. That way, if anything happens, you can go straight to Amazon.

Fake cards are unfortunately a 'thing' especially the bigger the storage.

I use a PNY 128GB Elite and it works great. However, I haven't done video recording yet. Photos seem fine and my FLAC music collection plays without a hitch.

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2016
Visit site
I'd get a U3 - and it may be worth it to get a larger card than needed right now. This is a good one -

Samsung EVO+ 256GB UHS-I microSDXC U3 Memory Card with Adapter (MB-MC256DA/AM), currently around $133 from Amazon. I never compared a U1 to U3.

IMO a 256GB is a sweet spot when considering future proofing.

Future proofing doesn't necessarily make sense. The prices come down over time.
It may be cheaper to buy a 128GB card now AND a 256 GB card five years from now than to just buy 256 now.

Last edited:

Buddy1969

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site

Yeah, thanks. This really is a micro SD. And no, I don't buy anything on ebay anymore. Too many frauds, too little gain.
:)

Yongjin Lee

Dec 15, 2017
Visit site
Hey Buddy, i wanted to use my LG V30 for 4K recording as well but 4GB limitation stops footage after 7 mins mark. I have saumsung micro SD and wondering if getting other micro SD card avoids this issue? Please let me know. Thanks.

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2016
Visit site
Hey Buddy, i wanted to use my LG V30 for 4K recording as well but 4GB limitation stops footage after 7 mins mark. I have saumsung micro SD and wondering if getting other micro SD card avoids this issue? Please let me know. Thanks.

A 4GB file size limit is a limitation of the file system used by default on SDHC (32GB and smaller) cards.
SDXC (64GB and up) come with a file system without that limitation.
You might be able to reformat a 32GB card to use the other file system.

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2016
Visit site
I have 128gb evo sdxc class 1 samsung SD card

Then assuming you haven't reformatted the card in a weird way (for example, in an older device that doesn't officially support such a large card), you are not actually hitting a file size limit. Any limits are either caused by the sensor or the camera app.

Aithan

Dec 7, 2017
Visit site
Then assuming you haven't reformatted the card in a weird way (for example, in an older device that doesn't officially support such a large card), you are not actually hitting a file size limit. Any limits are either caused by the sensor or the camera app.

Is there a 'best way' to format a card? For example, via PC or via phone? Or does it not matter?

I formatted mine in the phone thinking that the phone would 'know best' but...

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2016
Visit site
Is there a 'best way' to format a card? For example, via PC or via phone? Or does it not matter?

I formatted mine in the phone thinking that the phone would 'know best' but...

In theory it shouldn't really matter.
The only issue is if you format in a device that doesn't support SDXC (64GB and larger). It wouldn't actually support the normal (exFAT) file system used on SDXC cards, so it either won't work, or will use the system (FAT32) normally used on smaller (SDHC) cards. There are probably a number of problems with doing that, but one of the most obvious is you get stuck with a 4GB file size limit.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
For large files, I'd format the card as ext4. It couldn't be read in a PC (it could in a Linux box), but there's no "4GB limit" nonsense. (It does have a filesize limit - 16TB - which is no problem for the near future. And the file system limit is 1EB - 1 billion GB.)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lokesh