Who else is rocking the Gear S sans data plan?

hzelaya

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
The remote connect doesn't give you all the features of a Bluetooth connection? I am rocking the gear s with my mobile share plan ($10 a month) and I just figured out that it doesn't need a Bluetooth connection.

Does the remote connect mode work with this type of SIM? That is the mode where the Gear S is connected to the phone via the mobile network.
The manual describes this mode as:
"Connected Remotely
When connected remotely, the Gear S is not connected to the smartphone via Bluetooth, but is still connected to the smartphone via the mobile network. While connected remotely, the Gear S can receive notifications and calls from the smartphone, calls and SMS messages to the Gear S phone number, and have limited access to Samsung Gear app functions. Calls which are placed will be dialed from the Gear phone number."

Appreciating that the BYOT SIM would not be able to make calls, can it do everything else in this description? In particular, can you receive notifications and calls from the smartphone and SMS messages to the Gear S phone number?

brandonh1

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
Does the remote connect mode work with this type of SIM? That is the mode where the Gear S is connected to the phone via the mobile network.
The manual describes this mode as:
"Connected Remotely
When connected remotely, the Gear S is not connected to the smartphone via Bluetooth, but is still connected to the smartphone via the mobile network. While connected remotely, the Gear S can receive notifications and calls from the smartphone, calls and SMS messages to the Gear S phone number, and have limited access to Samsung Gear app functions. Calls which are placed will be dialed from the Gear phone number."

Appreciating that the BYOT SIM would not be able to make calls, can it do everything else in this description? In particular, can you receive notifications and calls from the smartphone and SMS messages to the Gear S phone number?
Yes. This sim works fine for remote connection.

roninksb

May 10, 2012
Visit site
Yes. This sim works fine for remote connection.

I hope I am not becoming a pain but can you tell me your APN settings? I went to the Straight Talk BYOT apn site and got these settings:
FIELD SETTINGS
APN tfdata
MMSC http://mms-tf.net
MMS PROXY mms3.tracfone.com
MMS PORT 80
MMS_APN tfdata

However, the watch will only let me change the internet settings and all of the fields do not match. I filled in the information in what I considered to be the equivalent and it seems to be working but I would like to confirm. I entered MMSC in the Server field, MMS Proxy in the Proxy field and MMS Port in the Port field and things seem to be working. Is that what you did? I also note that it looks like call forwarding to the Gear S does not work with these settings.

Again, thanks.

Last edited:

brandonh1

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
I hope I am not becoming a pain but can you tell me your APN settings? I went to the Straight Talk BYOT apn site and got these settings:
FIELD SETTINGS
APN tfdata
MMSC http://mms-tf.net
MMS PROXY mms3.tracfone.com
MMS PORT 80
MMS_APN tfdata

However, the watch will only let me change the internet settings and all of the fields do not match. I filled in the information in what I considered to be the equivalent and it seems to be working but I would like to confirm. I entered MMSC in the Server field, MMS Proxy in the Proxy field and MMS Port in the Port field and things seem to be working. Is that what you did? I also note that it looks like call forwarding to the Gear S does not work with these settings.

Again, thanks.
No worries. I only did apn = tfdata. You should not change any of the other Internet apn settings. The mms apn is separate and there is no way to update. Haven't tried sending a picture sms, but I assume that it will not work.

Your sim is data and sms only, as mentioned earlier you can not use call forwarding or calling in standalone mode.

Scott Ellis2

Dec 2, 2014
Visit site
A great alternative to a carrier plan is the $15 prepaid byot straight talk prepaid plan. This gets you 1 gb per month, which seems like plenty for the gear s... and you can stop any time.

I am doing this with an att gear s.

Hey could I use my existing straight talk att Sim in the gear s?

Active55

Nov 9, 2014
Visit site
But if you don't then it's only $15, that's cheaper then AT&T.

Nope. I was told the $15/mo. plan requires a plan on another network, so it's $15/mo. plus whatever you pay for the other network plan. Correct me if I'm wrong.

IIRC AT&T requires a $45/mo. plan to get the $10/mo. Gear S add on. So if you use the Gear S the way it is designed and all on TMO or AT&T they actually cost the same: TMO $50+$5=$55, AT&T $45+$10=$55.

I guess you can use AT&T or another network plan that is cheaper than the AT&T $45/mo. and use TMO $15/mo. if it exist? BUt it would have to be $40/mo. or less to make it viable.

TMO would not let "me" pay $15/mo. without another phone and plan to pair the device with.

dorrien12

Aug 20, 2012
Visit site
Nope. I was told the $15/mo. plan requires a plan on another network, so it's $15/mo. plus whatever you pay for the other network plan. Correct me if I'm wrong.

IIRC AT&T requires a $45/mo. plan to get the $10/mo. Gear S add on. So if you use the Gear S the way it is designed and all on TMO or AT&T they actually cost the same: TMO $50+$5=$55, AT&T $45+$10=$55.

I guess you can use AT&T or another network plan that is cheaper than the AT&T $45/mo. and use TMO $15/mo. if it exist? BUt it would have to be $40/mo. or less to make it viable.

TMO would not let "me" pay $15/mo. without another phone and plan to pair the device with.

I have a qualifying plan with AT&T and it would only cost me $10 a month. BUT I have a grandfathered unlimited data plan, to add the Gear S at $10 a month, I have to get rid of the unlimited plan to get a mobile share plan. I am not willing to give up my unlimited plan, so my other option is to do a new line by itself for $30. So that's why I said T-mobile's wearable plan was cheaper.

Active55

Nov 9, 2014
Visit site
I have a qualifying plan with AT&T and it would only cost me $10 a month. BUT I have a grandfathered unlimited data plan, to add the Gear S at $10 a month, I have to get rid of the unlimited plan to get a mobile share plan. I am not willing to give up my unlimited plan, so my other option is to do a new line by itself for $30. So that's why I said T-mobile's wearable plan was cheaper.

Well that's just not right for AT&T to squeeze you like that. I've heard of others on Verizon getting squeezed like that when they upgrade their phones too.

Smart move on your part, even if it cost you an extra $5/mo. to keep your grandfathered AT&T unlimited everything plan.

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Unlimited plan costs carrier a lot of headaches for the big two as they significantly built up the nationwide data network. A lot of them tend to abuse it and clog up the shared pipeline (I saw a lot of posting on XDA that ppl use it as their only internet connection at home and rack up 20+ GB a month). So, not surprisingly, they want to get rid of it what ever they can. AT&T is being nice that you can still upgrade your phone as long as you don't change your data plan. Verizon won't let you use subsidized upgrade if you want to keep the unlimited.

That being said, I gave up mine for almost a year now and never looked back. When I was on it, I rarely used 1 ~ 2GB a month as I can only use it with my line (have a family plan with 4 lines) and can't tether with it without hacking the phones. I have to pay extra for my other family lines for minimum data. One time I used over 5GB and got immediately throttle down by AT&T. So that's quite useless in my book. Once I signed up with the 10GB family shared plan, I can't be happier. All my phones can be used for tethering. And since it is shared, we rarely reach 10 GB per month. Now with the promotion, I got 15GB for the same price. Best of all, I saved about $50 per month on my bill.

The bottom line is unlimited data is overrated. If you have multiple lines, a shared plan is the way to go.

dorrien12

Aug 20, 2012
Visit site
Unlimited plan costs carrier a lot of headaches for the big two as they significantly built up the nationwide data network. A lot of them tend to abuse it and clog up the shared pipeline (I saw a lot of posting on XDA that ppl use it as their only internet connection at home and rack up 20+ GB a month). So, not surprisingly, they want to get rid of it what ever they can. AT&T is being nice that you can still upgrade your phone as long as you don't change your data plan. Verizon won't let you use subsidized upgrade if you want to keep the unlimited.

That being said, I gave up mine for almost a year now and never looked back. When I was on it, I rarely used 1 ~ 2GB a month as I can only use it with my line (have a family plan with 4 lines) and can't tether with it without hacking the phones. I have to pay extra for my other family lines for minimum data. One time I used over 5GB and got immediately throttle down by AT&T. So that's quite useless in my book. Once I signed up with the 10GB family shared plan, I can't be happier. All my phones can be used for tethering. And since it is shared, we rarely reach 10 GB per month. Now with the promotion, I got 15GB for the same price. Best of all, I saved about $50 per month on my bill.

The bottom line is unlimited data is overrated. If you have multiple lines, a shared plan is the way to go.

I do understand that but I am NOT one of the abusers, the most I've used in a month is 5GB and that was 2 times in last 3 yrs. I usually stay around the 3GB range. But it's nice to have just in case. In 3 weeks I'm chaperoning a band trip to FL (18hr drive) on a bus and I will probably use it more. But like I said I don't abuse the option.

I do have my hubby and son on as well and I almost talked myself into giving the unlimited up to save the cash, but I couldn't go through with it. I am watching all of our uses closely now, so perhaps once another good doubling plan comes out, I may decide to jump on it then.

dorrien12

Aug 20, 2012
Visit site
Well that's just not right for AT&T to squeeze you like that. I've heard of others on Verizon getting squeezed like that when they upgrade their phones too.

Smart move on your part, even if it cost you an extra $5/mo. to keep your grandfathered AT&T unlimited everything plan.

If we upgrade phones we can still keep our grandfathered plan, it's just like that for this watch. But who knows maybe this is the start, I am upgrading my phone next year, it may very well change by then.

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
My son is the one who uses data a lot as he watches YouTube on his phone all the time. Even with that, he only manages to break 6Gb a month once. Normally I ask him to keep below 5GB.

One thing you have to take into consideration with the shared plan is that (1) it has no contract. (2) it has no subsidized phone. You have to either keep use your existing phone or buy off contract phones. Otherwise, you have to pay monthly AT&T NEXT payment plan if you wish to buy subsidized phones which costs $25 to $30/mo extra per phone.

For me, that's $300 a year of savings on bills per line. In two years, I can save $600 per line. I can use that to buy most any phone off contract. eBay is where I buy most of my phones recently. A brand new release can be had for around $400+. Year old ones $200 to $300, used or new.

I used my phones for tethering couple times while on vacations. Data usage is not that high. Even if you busted your data bucket, you are only paying 1GB extra a time.

dorrien12

Aug 20, 2012
Visit site
My son is the one who uses data a lot as he watches YouTube on his phone all the time. Even with that, he only manages to break 6Gb a month once. Normally I ask him to keep below 5GB.

One thing you have to take into consideration with the shared plan is that (1) it has no contract. (2) it has no subsidized phone. You have to either keep use your existing phone or buy off contract phones. Otherwise, you have to pay monthly AT&T NEXT payment plan if you wish to buy subsidized phones which costs $25 to $30/mo extra per phone.

For me, that's $300 a year of savings on bills per line. In two years, I can save $600 per line. I can use that to buy most any phone off contract. eBay is where I buy most of my phones recently. A brand new release can be had for around $400+. Year old ones $200 to $300, used or new.

I used my phones for tethering couple times while on vacations. Data usage is not that high. Even if you busted your data bucket, you are only paying 1GB extra a time.

I think for AT&T with mobile share plan we can still get subsidized phones. I'm not sure but I think. I don't really like the next program so I hope that isn't the case. But do you have AT&T, if so then now I know and that gives me more to think about. :D

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I think for AT&T with mobile share plan we can still get subsidized phones. I'm not sure but I think. I don't really like the next program so I hope that isn't the case. But do you have AT&T, if so then now I know and that gives me more to think about. :D
No, the only way to subsidize is pay Next plan. The current family share plan itself does not have it. You pay extra on top of that. If you are not in the mobile share plan currently, you are already paying for the same subsidizing cost in your monthly bill whether you like it or not.

dorrien12

Aug 20, 2012
Visit site
The Next program is confusing to me. Don't want to hijack this thread but phone that cost say $299, if I paid that amount outright and kept for 2 yrs, that's like paying $12.46 a month. But the next program days no money down and $25 a month, how is that cheaper?