Who is ditching their Galaxy phone to get a Pixel?

Joshua Luther2

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site
The only thing I hate about my Ultra is how much I paid for it compared to the price of the Pixel 6. I'm still weighing my options but I'm leaning towards keeping it for 4-6 more months and then selling it to get the 6 or 6 pro. I can't afford to have more than one phone nor do I need more than one.

But I'm really regretting paying $1249 for this 256 gb S21 Ultra. I've only paid 6 months on it so far.

sulla1965

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
I have the S21 Plus, but close enough for these purposes. I'm not imagining the Pixel to be light years ahead necessarily, but at least an evolution ahead. Also, I admit that some of the issues may be with all phones and even maybe the network sometimes, but there is a large part of me that want to see if the grass is greener on the other side. I've had a bunch of random wireless charging issues with my last bunch of Samsung phones. Different phones on different chargers that would just randomly go into a charge/not charge loop. The camera is nice for FB pics, but when I move the pics over to my computer they aren't so amazing looking with a lot of loss of detail even in well lit pictures. I've always heard good things about Pixel cameras and am looking forward to trying them.

I assume and hope this is an Android 12 thing, but I HATE with a passion the color lock screen notifications as most of them are too dark to see unless you are up close to your phone. I'm really hoping they are all white again like this and if so can't wait to go back to that.
View attachment 338035

25 to 30W charging isn't a huge deal. 23W wireless charging should definitely be nice though.

Very frequently when I try voice to text I have to wait a long time while it's initializing before I can speak. Again, not sure if that's necessarily a Samsung thing, but I'm willing to give Google a try to see. The Pixel is also supposed to have a much better voice to text engine.

Those are a few of the things I can think of at the moment.

Still a sweet looking phone.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
I was a Google user from the Nexus 4 up through the Pixel 3 XL, then moved to the S20 FE when I was ready to upgrade again, when the 5 appeared to be especially lackluster and the S20 FE represented an incredible value even against other Samsung models.

I definitely appreciated the display, battery, and speed of the Samsung, but it felt clunky by comparison and less intuitive to use. I chalked that up to simply needing to give it time, having been so accustomed to Google's UI, but here I am a year later still finding that where Google's phones are as simple as it gets when you simply want to do something, the Samsung is just a little bit awkward.

Awaiting my Pixel 6 Pro 256GB Cloudy White now (which was supposed to arrive today, but FedEx...).

And from everything I'm hearing so far about real world use performance of the Tensor chip - as a first generation product for Google - when compared to the Snapdragon 888, I think the future is blindingly bright for where they will go from here. While Snapdragon will continue to produce phenomenal off-the-shelf chips designed to meet a generic laundry list of needs across all of its customers, Google and its ability to custom-craft the chip to purpose will likely surpass them for performance on their phones in a generation or two, and likely also begin to narrow the gap with Apple's custom chips.

NeoTreo

May 17, 2016
Visit site
Note 20 Ultra for the Pixel 6 Pro.

I'll rather say I'm ditching Samsung (especially Samsung's excessive bloatware and Bixby).
Never liked those sharp corners on the Note 20 Ultra.
The Note 20 Ultra will be my new bathroom reader.

barondebxl

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
I got the S21 ultra and I just got the pixel 6, I'm returning the pixel 6 and keeping my S21 ultra, it is the superior phone and that's ok because it costs twice as much. The pixel 6 is nice but I literally prefer everything on the S21 ultra over it. The fingerprint sensor on the pixel is something I don't want to have to deal with because it really isn't that good. For $599 it's a great buy but again I just prefer my S21 ultra and it's supposed to have Android 12 before the year is out.

buzzy3970

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
Note 20 Ultra for the Pixel 6 Pro.

I'll rather say I'm ditching Samsung (especially Samsung's excessive bloatware and Bixby).
Never liked those sharp corners on the Note 20 Ultra.
The Note 20 Ultra will be my new bathroom reader.
It's funny you say that as the pixel 6 pro display looks almost as curved as the note 20 Ultra display(hell the whole front looks Note 20 Ultra esque). Am I wrong at assuming that? Asking as I have received my pro yet and haven't bothered to look at a demo in store as it won't change my decision in getting one.

buzzy3970

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
I got the S21 ultra and I just got the pixel 6, I'm returning the pixel 6 and keeping my S21 ultra, it is the superior phone and that's ok because it costs twice as much. The pixel 6 is nice but I literally prefer everything on the S21 ultra over it. The fingerprint sensor on the pixel is something I don't want to have to deal with because it really isn't that good. For $599 it's a great buy but again I just prefer my S21 ultra and it's supposed to have Android 12 before the year is out.
Yes beta already concluded for the S21 series so it will probably be available officially in December if not sooner.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
What is it about the Pixel experience that brings you back compared to Samsung?

It could be the fact that I've used more Pixel phones than Samsung - I've used the Nexus 5, Google Pixel 2, and now the Google Pixel 5, and just used the S10 as far as Samsung goes...

But I know there are more reasons than just the number of devices I've owned! I think user experience has a lot do with it, and how I use my phone. I LOVED Samsung's UI (and I thought I wouldn't) and the customization available. And I loved the Edge Panel and the in-display fingerprint sensor.

But I did miss the simplicity and smoothness of Google's OS and their timely updates. I missed the phenomenal camera that seemed to perform way better under point-and-shoot situations. I also just enjoy the overall hardware and software of Pixel phones - how they still make smaller variants of the phone (though my S10 was a great size and I could use it easily, it was still harder for me to wield than, say, my Pixel 5); how they have less bloat and ease of operations compared to a Samsung device.

Another factor is definitely brand recognition. I like using phones that aren't as "mainstream" as others. I loved my S10 but I enjoy devices that don't get as much fame time as others. I think they too have a lot to offer. Phones like my Honor 8 and Google Pixel 2 were definite examples of "unusual" phones that performed excellently. People don't always know what phone I'm using and will ask me - and I like that! Going against the grain is my thing!

But I also need to say that I will and have switched manufacturers depending on what specs and devices they offer. I can see myself leaving Pixel again if the Pixel 7 doesn't meet my needs as a phone consumer. I definitely *prefer* Google devices, but I'll switch to a manufacturer/brand that will better meet my needs if I have to!

Hopefully this all makes sense!

NeoTreo

May 17, 2016
Visit site
It's funny you say that as the pixel 6 pro display looks almost as curved as the note 20 Ultra display(hell the whole front looks Note 20 Ultra esque). Am I wrong at assuming that? Asking as I have received my pro yet and haven't bothered to look at a demo in store as it won't change my decision in getting one.

No, not the display screen edges.

I meant the four physical corners of the Note 20 Ultra gives it a rectangular shape (unlike the rounded corners of other Samsung Galaxy S phones and Pixel 6 Pro preview photos. Hated ALL the Samsung bloatware and Bixby.

The Note 20 Ultra was a true candy bar phone.

Last edited:

SteveC

Jan 15, 2010
Visit site
Went from an S 20 FE to the P6Pro. No regrets. I think the Google vs Samsung thing comes down to whether you like Samsung's UI and system apps, or of you prefer the Google approach. You can essentially do the same things with either. Personal preference.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Have my S21 ultra and it'll only be replaced by S22 Ultra

I keep all my Pixels, Galaxies and iPhones separately lol, they all are good and different experiences. You can't honestly go wrong with any of them and mostly preference thing m

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Have my S21 ultra and it'll only be replaced by S22 Ultra

I keep all my Pixels, Galaxies and iPhones separately lol, they all are good and different experiences. You can't honestly go wrong with any of them and mostly preference thing m
Same here :))

ELAkid

Jun 17, 2015
Visit site
I owned the Nexus phone made by HTC back in the day and I haven't owned a Google phone since, I ordered the pro 6 and I'm enjoying the experience,but I also have the z fold 3 and I'm already missing my fold 3 so I'm going to see if I can rotate between 2 phones and keep the Pixel 6 pro or return it.

PaulQ

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
I sold my 4 month old S21+ and got the P6 Pro last week. Happy to be back with Pixel and all of the Google smarts. I already used "Hold for me."

I was on Pixels for years prior to the S21+ and I switched because I wanted to see what a Samsung flagship was like. I saw, I realized I prefer Pixel.

The S21+ is an excellent phone, so many options! I think this is more a personal preference situation. I just prefer the Pixel experience but I respect the fact that Samsung did an amazing job. So amazing that it took me one day to find a buyer for my S21+.

neil74

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
I can live with the OS differences swings and roundabouts, I prefer Pixel OS but there are also some things I really like in OneUI.

For me it is the camera. On paper Samsung cameras have been great for a while but in real world use not so much, issues from over smoothed skin, smudged fur on pet photos to blurry images for anything that even thinks about moving. When I had the S21U I used Pro mode as that was typically better than the standard camera but honestly I trust the Pixel camera (and iPhone in apple land) more than Samsung.

That is my main reason for picking the Pixel as my droid of choice. YMMV.

thecaringkind

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
I already did lol had a Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 3 .Loved the phone. Great hardware. Really enjoyed it. However, the value proposition for the money wasn't there in my opinion. It's ridiculously expensive no matter how innovative it is. So I went with team pixel and I'm getting much more value for my dollars.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ife45201