Why am I SUDDENLY Getting APP Advertisements?

bobinyelm

Jan 14, 2020
Visit site
My AT&T Galaxy S5 is suddenly getting full-screen Advertisements for all sorts of Applications from The Google Play Store I am not interested in every time I open my phone screen. I NEVER go a single such barrage for the years I've used AT&T zand the S5.

My wife has the SAME phone type on the SAME network and Account and she has NONE of this.

I have to wade through 20 or 30 a day to get to my usual screens. Some are come-ons for games, while others appear like the result of a PlayStore search offering a One-Click Install

I did not change any of my settings, and I've tried various things to stop this but to no avail.

I am not an "expert" but only a "user" so am not that technically astute, so please forgive me if I am a bit "slow" understanding super technical instructions.

Bob

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Did you install any new apps or update any existing apps recently? Yes, even a previously trusted app can gain these annoyances after an update, it happened to ES File Explorer a couple years ago.

We actually have a guide on these forums related to tracing where these kinds of ads come from.

bobinyelm

Jan 14, 2020
Visit site
Thanks-

No no new APPs installed.

The LAST APP I installed was at LEAST month or more ago, if then. My phone is a replacement for my last S5 that started glitching a couple of months ago so got a new one and transferred everything via "Smart Switch".

The APP I DID install on this phone (the only one) was "RING" for a RING Video Doorbell I bought maybe a month ago.

The "Ads" look exactly like if you go to PlayStore and search for the particular APP. I seem to get several over and over ("QR Code" from McFoolish Photography, some Collage App, and some Game about Fish). The attached image is one I JUST got and took a screen shot of.

One APP I got a full screen "invitation to" was one how to make collages using pictures (I didn't do a screen shot) and a full page for the APP "Fishdom" a game APP available from PlayStore.

It's not your typical advertisement pop-up, or anything like that is what I am getting at.

BobAd 1.jpg

When I think of ad content, I don't think of applications trying to get me to download them.

Is this common? I went to some websites that tell you how to stop pop-ups and ads, but they didn't work, and they seemed more leaning toward commercial ads rather than APP Ads like this one.

When I open my screen I now get a light gray screen with a circling timer arrow, and if I hit teh home button, or back arrow, one of these App "ads" appears I have to work past to see my usual home screen.

Bob

Last edited:

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Have you tried the steps included in the guide I linked? They will help you to identify which app is pushing those ads.

Next time you get an ad take a screenshot and don't rename it, post the original file here. Many Samsung phones name the screenshot file with the name of the app that it's open at that time. Also, if you want you can post screenshots of your app drawer just in case we recognise any app that could be the culprit.

bobinyelm

Jan 14, 2020
Visit site
OK.

Here is the Screen shot that I took, and sent it to my computer and kept the "name" it downloaded as:

Screenshot_2020-05-16-17-52-33.jpg

Is this what you meant? Or something else?

The file name assigned was : "Screenshot_2020-16-17-52-33.png"

I started reading your post on how-to in the linked guide, though the last part was confusing (I am not much of a software person).

Should I delete and re-load that RING Doorbell App I downloaded last (a month ago) and reload it?

Thanks for your help- It is maddenening! Especially frustrating for a neophyte users of this technology,

Bob

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
OK.

Here is the Screen shot that I took, and sent it to my computer and kept the "name" it downloaded as:

View attachment 320554

Is this what you meant? Or something else?

The file name assigned was : "Screenshot_2020-16-17-52-33.png"

I started reading your post on how-to in the linked guide, though the last part was confusing (I am not much of a software person).

Should I delete and re-load that RING Doorbell App I downloaded last (a month ago) and reload it?

Thanks for your help- It is maddenening! Especially frustrating for a neophyte users of this technology,

Bob
It didn't post the name of the screenshot this time, probably because you used a different method to attach it to your post. Don't worry. Try the first steps on the guide, like checking your Last Used apps in the Play Store.

It doesn't necessarily means that these ads are caused by an app that you downloaded recently, they could be caused by an old app that got a recent update, for example.

bobinyelm

Jan 14, 2020
Visit site
AND I just went through my APPs and UNINSTALLED every APP I don't tend to use, DISABLED all or forced stop on almost everything else.

I still have the "Built In" apps it won't let me uninstall (a bunch),
the Google ones I didn't Disable Chrome, but disabled/Force Stopped all other Google Apps),
a Groupon one,
Peel Remote (Disabled/Forced Stop but cannot Uninstall),
Point of Sale (Square Credit Card App)
Whats APP (I can, but I use it frequently)
I do have "Weather Bug," and "My Radar" active still.

Bob
YouTube

All of above have been on phone since forever.

bobinyelm

Jan 14, 2020
Visit site
You said:

Recent apps.

Some apps/ads leave a record on your recent apps overview, so right after getting an ad hit the recent apps/multitasking button (better before closing the ad) and search for a card with this ad on it. If you find it, long press the small icon top left on that card, tap the 'info' icon and see which app it opens.

Is the "Recent Apps Overview" the Button/Symbol that looks like overlapped boxes to the left of the Home Button that displays the last pages open that you can close with the symbol that looks like a paragraph w/ an "X" at the bottom to the right of the Home Button?

Google Play Store.

If this didn't work open the Play Store, go to 'My apps & games' in the side bar, select the 'Installed' tab and change the way apps are sorted, selecting 'Last used'. The app pushing that ad should be listed at the top of that list or maybe right after a system app.

I don't "see" a "My Apps and Games" but there is an arrow that takes me to "Previously Installed Apps". (See Screen Shot of Play Store Screen bel. Is THAT the one?)

Screenshot_2020-05-16-19-17-06.jpg

Sorry for my ignorance. :(

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
You said:

Recent apps.

Some apps/ads leave a record on your recent apps overview, so right after getting an ad hit the recent apps/multitasking button (better before closing the ad) and search for a card with this ad on it. If you find it, long press the small icon top left on that card, tap the 'info' icon and see which app it opens.

Is the "Recent Apps Overview" the Button/Symbol that looks like overlapped boxes to the left of the Home Button that displays the last pages open that you can close with the symbol that looks like a paragraph w/ an "X" at the bottom to the right of the Home Button?

Google Play Store.

If this didn't work open the Play Store, go to 'My apps & games' in the side bar, select the 'Installed' tab and change the way apps are sorted, selecting 'Last used'. The app pushing that ad should be listed at the top of that list or maybe right after a system app.

I don't "see" a "My Apps and Games" but there is an arrow that takes me to "Previously Installed Apps". (See Screen Shot of Play Store Screen bel. Is THAT the one?)

View attachment 320558

Sorry for my ignorance. :(
Yes, that's what I mean by Recent apps.

Play Store. Tap this hamburger icon to open My apps & games.
Screenshot_20200516-232405.jpeg

bobinyelm

Jan 14, 2020
Visit site
Thanks for being tolerant of my dumb questions, but I learned a lot.

Next time I get a full page "App-come-on" trying to get me to download apps I will do what you suggest.

I deleted a BUNCH of Apps I rarely used so maybe I killed the naughty one already (I hope).

Thanks,
Bob

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for being tolerant of my dumb questions, but I learned a lot.

Next time I get a full page "App-come-on" trying to get me to download apps I will do what you suggest.

I deleted a BUNCH of Apps I rarely used so maybe I killed the naughty one already (I hope).

Thanks,
Bob
Don't worry, feel free to ask anything you need.

Many times these ads are caused by "innocent" apps like flashlights, QR or PDF readers, galleries, antivirus or cleaner apps.

Keep us posted.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Peel Remote (Disabled/Forced Stop but cannot Uninstall),

For a long time, this was a common culprit. You say you Disabled it, but did you also clear the cache/data from the app as well? And did you also uninstall all updates to the app?

bobinyelm

Jan 14, 2020
Visit site
Wen I go to App Manager I see a list of "All Apps" on my phone.

If I click one one, I appear to be given only 2 choices:
1) "Uninstall," or on ones I evidently cannot Uninstall, "Disable"
2) "Force Stop"

Below I can view Storage used
Data Usage
Permissions
Notifications
Set as Default
Battery
Memory

Screenshot_2020-05-16-20-51-21.jpg

At least there, I saw no place to select "Clear Cache/Data" nor do I know where the updates are stored so I can uninstall them.

Is there a place (and how do I access it) where I can go to do those things?

Thanks-

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Clear cache/data would be in the Storage submenu that you see right there. Tap it, and see what options you get. (And I'm sure you understand this, but make sure you're looking at the Peel Remote app, not the AT&T Mail app.)

bobinyelm

Jan 14, 2020
Visit site
I did what you suggested to ALL remaining APPs except those from Samsung or AT&T. Unfortunately, the problem remains and is getting worse (MORE APP ads, plus game boards appearing on my screen (I have NO games on my phone), and the pop-ups now sometimes appear DURING other operations now rather than just before or after).

Is it possible for fragments of those APPs I deleted but did not erase Data and Cache from FIRST a few days ago didn't go away with the APP itself?

Bob

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
I did what you suggested to ALL remaining APPs except those from Samsung or AT&T. Unfortunately, the problem remains and is getting worse (MORE APP ads, plus game boards appearing on my screen (I have NO games on my phone), and the pop-ups now sometimes appear DURING other operations now rather than just before or after).

Is it possible for fragments of those APPs I deleted but did not erase Data and Cache from FIRST a few days ago didn't go away with the APP itself?

Bob
Check the Last Used apps in the Play Store, as explained above, right after having an ad. Take a screenshot and post it here, maybe we can recognise any suspicious app.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aitana135332