Why can't I directly give the Laptop's Audio Out to Note 9 's Audio-In (Microphone)?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

Hi there.
I don't know if this is the correct forum for my question, I apologize in advance.
I am trying to connect my LapTop's Speakers output to my Android Phone (Samsung Galaxy note 9)'s Microphone in order to record the Laptop's output in different android apps on my phone. But it never works directly.
However, it works fine if I connect the phone's microphone to the External Speaker's Audio out (which is connected to my LapTop's Audio Out).
I'm using a 3 pin (TRS) auxiliary cable for this purpose.
It looks like External Speakers are converting the Audio Output from PC and that is acceptable by the Android Phone.
Please note that my external Boya Microphone works well with my phone, which also uses TRS (3 pin) audio cable

Question:
Why can't I directly give the Laptop's Audio Out to Android Phone's Audio-In (Microphone)?

Do I need some format converter device, as the External Speakers might be doing some conversion?

spARTacus

Sep 9, 2018
Visit site
I don't understand what you mean when you say:
...I am trying to connect my LapTop's Speakers output to my Android Phone (Samsung Galaxy note 9)'s Microphone... But it never works directly...

...and then later when you say:
...However, it works fine if I connect the phone's microphone to the External Speaker's Audio out (which is connected to my LapTop's Audio Out)...

In the first scenario, do you have the laptop taken apart and are you trying to directly solder to the laptop's internal speaker wires?

Or, does your laptop have an "audio out" jack, and then also a second "external speaker audio out" jack?

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
This doesn't make sense to me either, but my guess is some sort of audio capture device may be needed.

Or is it possible to just use a sound recorder on the laptop for the audio capture, then transfer that to the phone as an audio file?

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
First, your phones microphones record audio. You would simply play the music on the computer speaker to use the phones microphone to record, no physical connection. Once you plug an external audio source into the headphone jack and the phone receives audio information that way, it's no longer using the microphones.

Second the headphone jack isn't designed as a standard audio in, it's meant for audio out. So for the phone to recognize audio in the headphone jack uses TRRS and requires a cable that supports TRRS. Standard audio cables are only TRS.

The difference is the number of connectors on the cable. TRS(Tip, Ring, Sleeve) and (Tip, Ring, Ring, Sleeve). The 4th connection is required for Mic in, which is what you need when recording audio. Most audio cords are TRS and most headphone jacks are as well because they are designed as either an input or an output. I assume your computer speakers have one plug for audio in and one for audio out.

You probably just need a different cable for this to work. Also keep in mind only select apps designed to can make use of an external mic for audio. If the app cannot select external audio as a source it won't work.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dfgfg