Why can't I move my apps to my SD card ?

JELW

Dec 19, 2017
Visit site
Hi I bought a plum optimax 10.tablet a month ago and been using it without a SD until now .And I'm having a problem with the SD card system and not the SD card. The card is reading, I have no problem mounting and unmounting the SD, but for some reason when I go into apps to transfer to SD card I can't because the section to transfer the apps to SD card is not there and so I can't move my apps. Please help me!

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Not all devices support the ability to move apps to SD. If you don't see the button to do that, the device doesn't support it.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Check to see if you have the same exact model number in Settings>About Tablet. Also check to see if you're running the same version of Android.

Also, even though the tablet seems to recognize this SD card, try testing out a different card -- preferably one with a high speed class.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Even if you have the same model tab, some apps, since they won't run from the SD card, have the ability to move them to the card disabled. (And we'll be seeing more of them - most of the "app-developer-apps can't run from the card, and more and more people are using apps like that to develop apps, rather than learning how to write them, so eventually, very few apps will be able to be moved.)

Besides, moving an app to the SD card doesn't always give you more free internal space. The app is moved in pieces (due to the way it's coded). For each piece moved, there's a link to it left in internal storage. If the pieces are small enough (smaller than a link), you might actually lose free space by moving the app to the card. (Which is why adoptive storage was implemented - it makes the SD card logically part of internal storage, so all apps will run regardless of where Android decides to put them. Of course an SD card doesn't last as long as the eMMC storage in the phone, so if the card goes, you lose all apps that were on the card and all their data that's stored in the same folder as the app.)