Why do I need Google Play Services?

physioprof

Jun 15, 2013
Visit site
You are annoyed because the latest app software doesn't run well on an Android version that is nearly four years old? That doesn't seem very realistic to me.

cwrb

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site
I came to this forum with the same problem -- in the last couple of weeks my battery has started draining really quickly. So, it seems that we have confirmed that Google Play Services IS an essential service. This is not at all obvious to many non-techies from its name -- please just assume that those of us who come here look for help don't know what is a core service and what isn't...there are a ton of things called Google blah blah on my phone that I don't use, and a few that I do use and love.

But it seems no one has a solution to the basic problem, which is that my phone is dead by 4 PM when it used to make it to midnight with a decent amount of battery left. Is this due to an update of Google Play Services? Can I revert to a previous version or something? Will Google fix the problem? Or do I need to go buy a big honking extended battery? Because a dead phone at 4 PM isn't working for me.

The answer is not simply. From my years of experience with iPhones and smartphones, I have found it to be a bad battery, a few sapping apps, one or more non-essential features, etc.
In each instance, via extensive analysis, I have found a solution.
As well, I have found smartphones are becoming more proficient and larger batteries are being employed.
The short answer is "do the analysis".

Last edited by a moderator:

kristen blazer

Oct 25, 2014
Visit site
no, this guy is rude and imperialistic. just because you have more knowledge of phone os does not make you superior. either share your knowledge willingly or shut your face. I dont speak to people as if they are idiots because they do not understand stock options. get some fresh air, you are clearly in the dark.

Jon_Doh

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
I just registered to say two things:

1. The answer was indeed rude, and don't try to hide that now, it was sarcastic. And from the responses after, all I could see is everybody trying to "pet" the Big Moderator Big Boss. Yeah, corporative behavior all around. If the Paul guy were just "someone else" there would not have been so much "petting" for sure. Also, just because you, the moderador, have helped a lot, that alone doesn't give you the right to be sarcastic with people that just want to be helped. You have a lot of knowledge, for sure, but be cool with people who don't. When people (in general) get a lot of "stars" they tend to be arrogant and have no self-criticism, don't be like this :)

2. I have the same problem with Moto X, 4.4.2. I actually have a good battery life comparing to most users (I think), maybe 22h of battery. In my previous phone, a Samsung, I rooted and I could delete the GP Services. Even so, I had access to the Google Play Store normally, and if I wanted to update an app, them GP Services would be automatically downloaded again. So I usually updated the app, then deleted the GP Services Again.

But that was Samsung, now Moto X was made by Google. Would there be any problems (BIG ones) in DISABLE? In the use details it says:
Included packages
-Google Backup Transport
-Google Play Services
-Google Account Manager
-Google Contacts Sync
-Google Services Framework

So maybe it's no worth disabling? I have the usage like this:
Screen 27%
Android OS 21%
Phone idle 12%
Wifi 11%
GP Services 8%
[...]

Oh... for people having battery problems, and with Snappdragon hardware, one thing I did was installing BatteryGuru from qualcomm which extended the battery life a lot. It controls app refresh individually, great app for non rooted devices ;)

Thanks! :)

ps: sorry for the long post

Yes you can disable all those things without any harm. I turned them all off and my battery drain stopped. I've not experienced any negative consequences either except to no longer receive notifications to update apps. I use Calengoo and it still syncs with my Google calendar and Beautiful Widgets still updates the weather. My email is from a push server and it works just fine too.

pawprints86

May 10, 2013
Visit site
Came across this thread after google searching what google play services are for.

I currently have mine hibernated with greenify.

What happens if you delete data from google play services?? In total its taking up like 30 MB on my phone..... for possibly no reason as ive removed all but the play store, as far as "google apps" are concerned. (i kept maps but its on disable mode).

So what it looks like here is that the store wont automatically tell us theres updates?? What if we just make a point to check manually on occasion. is that really all it does?? I have google services running, for seemingly no reason. locations being one.... but ive yet to use my phone for gps as i dont want to use data. they seem to be not really needed, for those of us who arent exactly "power users" using their phone to do all but make their coffee in the morning.

Seems people in here are just wondering if its truly necessary.

I have "disable services" installed but im afraid to play with anything that im not sure what it is. Is there a guide somewhere??

pawprints86

May 10, 2013
Visit site
Those dont help much. i know what google play services *is*.

What i wanted to know is if its safe to clear the data without losing any game progress/data, mine isnt under cache like those poeple said, its data.... and does it need to be running ALL the time.

Greenify doesnt even permanently hibernate it, it keeps reopening itself. all i do is open handcent for example, and it will open (with wifi and data off!!! So no possibility of updates or syncing even possible!)

denath

Jan 19, 2015
Visit site
If Google Play Services had information in cache such as Achievements or Leaderboards scores from your games installed, then clearing the cache will erase that information. However if local cache is in sync with online data, then you will not notice any difference

Arturo Benedetti

Feb 2, 2015
Visit site
Paul, that's rather rude.
The question was if Google Play Services could be disabled because it appears to be draining battery life, not whether Google products would work without it. Also, why make fun of the Nexus product? Is your phone "cooler" than everyone elses?
I think the OP's question is a good one. That's why I followed this link: My Android phone suddenly started consuming a huge amount of battery after the latest "required" Google Play Service update.
If you'r so intelligent, then maybe you have a suggestion about whether or not Google Play Service is causing users batteries to discharge at a very high rate, and what "we" can do about it.
Some of us come to the forum for answers, not to be made fun of.

Why not just enable Google Play Services to operate over WiFi only, sys updates will be smoother/cheaper, still totally functional, turn GPS location services on/off when needed.
That seem like a solution?

NeonJester

Feb 10, 2015
Visit site
Other people are having much different issues. I am a Verizon tech rep and I'm on the phone with Google at this moment and the customers device won't let her exit out of a play services error code even after committing to a hard reset the error codes are still popping up.

Pat Stevens

Mar 25, 2015
Visit site
I just did a "software" update to my Note 4. The surprise comes when they decide to download about 10 new programs on my phone. One of them being Google Play Services. I already have Google Play Store. I use that to find apps I "want". Not be forced to have apps installed by Google/Sprint. The problem I have is that Googe Play Services has full reign of your device. It can make calls, even calls that cost you money. It can access all of your personal data. It can take pictures and videos!!! This is somewhat an invasion of privacy. This means your device could be taking video of you while your dressing, or other things you might do while your phone is laying on the dresser. The program also gives itself permission to send txt messages, and add/delete/modify content on your SD card. I think this is something people need to wake up and start pushing back. This is no different that some peeping tom looking in my window. Most of this should be illegal

Last edited:

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
I just did a "software" update to my Note 4. The surprise comes when they decide to download about 10 new programs on my phone. One of them being Google Play Services. I already have Google Play Store. I use that to find apps I "want". Not be forced to have apps installed by Google/Sprint. The problem I have is that Googe Play Services has full reign of your device. It can make calls, even calls that cost you money. It can access all of your personal data. It can take pictures and videos!!! This is somewhat an invasion of privacy. This means your device could be taking video of you while your dressing, or other things you might do while your phone is laying on the dresser. The program also gives itself permission to send txt messages, and add/delete/modify content on your SD card. I think this is something people need to wake up and start pushing back. This is no different that some peeping tom looking in my window. Most of this should be illegal

The required permissions enable functions. While technically it may mean that an unscrupulous programmer could make an app that would do those things, it doesn't mean that an app given permissions to use features like the camera are going to do those things. This is why it's important to look into who an app is from before installing it, and why an app would need certain permissions. And it's fair to say that if an app were used for something like peeping, it WOULD be illegal. There will always be a certain level of trust required. If you don't trust a publisher, don't install their apps. If you don't trust anyone, only use your devices in a Faraday cage.

I can understand your frustration at apps that are bundled by device manufacturers. There are ways to disable them. You can probably get advice on how to do so in the proper section of the forum.

yezdi jijina

Apr 10, 2015
Visit site
man i have ht c desira 5151 but it is not support google play stores so i want to ask that how to instal bcose in is only supporting goole serices

iqra
instal wahrt app veris8.5 and on main screen thir is call icon just call it it is use essy like viber

Last edited by a moderator: