Why does my LG G4 keep shutting down?

maxo13

Oct 8, 2015
Visit site
Re: why does my lg g4 keep shutting down

Went to the repair center and told them it was a defect but I don't have insurance with them so they said they couldn't do anything and told me to contact LG. I really don't want to go weeks without a phone.

merwoman

Aug 15, 2015
Visit site

Went to the repair center and told them it was a defect but I don't have insurance with them so they said they couldn't do anything and told me to contact LG. I really don't want to go weeks without a phone.

That's bizarre. Did the tech check the tech documentation? Because that should have made it clear to them that they need to order a replacement.

pushdrops

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
Verizon G4 powers off after 2 minutes

My wife and I have new g4's that we bought on July 5th from Best Buy outright in order to keep our legacy Verizon plan.

My g4 is fine and hers has been OK until today : after she completed a call with a friend she brought her phone to me as it was constantly rebooting.

I removed the battery , it seemed ok but after a couple of minutes it appeared to power down on its own, no reboot or non responsive screen , it fully shut down and only removing the battery would it turn back on.

After turning it back on after a couple of minutes at most it would again shutdown.

I've tried safe mode and no change. Even a factory reset. It will not remain on for enough time to allow copying off the 2gb of pictures that reside on the phone.

Note that an SD card has never been used with the phone. Also I've used another known good battery there's obviously a hardware defect if Safe Mode, Factory Reset, no SD card etc all result in shutting down with the device shutting down within a couple of minutes and not poweriing up again until the battery is removed.

I checked out this site hoping to find tips on obtaining a replacement under the manufacturer's warranty as the device is only 3 months old.

As we didn't buy the g4's from Verizon and are not under contract plus do not have a warranty plan with Verizon I doubt they will offer to allow s swap of the defective g4 thru Verizon.

I also have a feeling that Best Buy because we didn't purchase their warranty will not allow us to swap out the phone at our local Best Buy but will instead force us to go thru LG which from reading this thread looks like that will be a 3 week process of which my wife will be without a phone (we'll have to use one of our 2011 phones that we replaced recently with the g4s).

Anyway this is to let others know of the hardware issue with a Verizon G4 model, so it's not only Sprint models and I'll reply with our solution (either thru a minor miracle we get a replacement device swapped out locally or sent overnight or have to wait weeks for an LG replacement).

It's a shame that u spend thousands with a carrier over the years (our case $155 monthly with Verizon for years, easily $5k since 2009 plus device costs) , purchase $550 devices at full cost as well as other merchandise from Best Buy regularly (no other local retailer to chose from for us) and it fails early on thru ni fault of ours and nobody is willing to help with a replacement on a defective device (it's not like we're complaining that the device is flakey , it flat out shuts off within a couple of minutes).

Hopefully not too many other people have this problem including my g4 not ending up like my wife's phone.

pushdrops

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
Amazingly our carrier sent a refurbished replacement LG g4 after we went thru an hour of troubleshooting. The entire time the phone during troubleshooting would continue to power down but also the screen began to shake in certain areas and freeze then it would lower down.
Oddly enough though the next day the phone worked fine and continued to work normally until last night when we activated the replacement. I almost was going to send back the replacement as the original is fine but I'm sure as bad as the phone was acting on Sunday that something must be wrong and the issue will return in the future and what if then we aren't lucky enough to have a replacement sent out?

Oddly the new phone, again a refurbished device, hw model 1.0 the same as my phone and my wife's original g4 will not update to the brand new 414MB released by Verizon a few days ago. All in all I have to admit I'm pleased with Verizon and their service especially considering we bought the g4's out of contract from Best Buy. I really didn't think Verizon was going to offer to send a replacement straight away.

skatedc90

Nov 19, 2015
Visit site
You can tally me up as number 3 then! G4 forcibly shuts down 6 to 10 times a day now and won't start without the battery being removed and replaced.

chas1723

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site

My 12 day old Verizon G4 went in a boot loop Tuesday. I took the SD card out and tried a factory reset but nothing worked. The G4 had an October 2015 manufacture date. I'm worried that the replacement will have the same issue.

chas1723

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
This is true. I had mine do the reboot thing after a freeze up to the point where it would not boot anymore. You could not get into safe mode and I even tried getting into recovery mode and it would just reboot the to the LG screen. They replaced it with a new device from LG, battery and all with the tape on it and all, as this is a known issue with a bad board. This seems to only effect the Sprint models for anyone else wondering. Kudos to Sprint and LG for taking care of this issue promptly and giving a new replacement.
Not just Sprint as my Verizon one just did the same thing.

fernandouy

Nov 23, 2015
Visit site
I'm pretty sure this is a problem LG has which it hasn't fixed. I own a LG G3 and the same happens. Random shutdowns and some unexpected resets. There's a forum for G3 but no one seems to find the solution. It's a pitty LG doesn't fix this in new phones.

nich_1601

Dec 4, 2015
Visit site

I had the same issue when I got mine yesterday. it kept rebooting, I thought it was the battery issue so I change the battery which they provided me in Singapore Telco, and got freeze and couldn't boot at all. I was so frustrated till the point that I really feels like throwing the phone on the ground and destroy it. after a while I manage to get it boot up and immediately did an factory restore, until now, its still working fine, no reboot or freeze. u can try it.

mimran

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
Do you have a microsd card installed? Try removing it. I had a microsd which was throwing errors and made the G4 extremely sad. Random hangs, weird lockups, etc.The optimizing thing happens because it's wiped your cache partition - this may be some default behavior because it's failed to boot and it automatically purges cache. If you're up for it, another thing to try doing is to turn on debugging and connect to a laptop. I'm not sure off the top of my head when the g4 enables adb in the boot order, but often it happens before the app optimization step. Running 'adb logcat' on your pc may give you some insight into what's going wrong - heat events, etc are often logged. I'd try the SD card first though.

g4shuttingdown

Dec 13, 2015
Visit site
This is happening to me too and it's very depressing. I paid so much money for this G4 and it was perfectly fine up until Friday.

I tried safe mode and it still happens in safe mode. Are there any success stories here with fixing it? I'm not going to waste my time if nobody has fixed it.

stet

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
My wife's just started doing this over the weekend (it was purchased in September, build date in August). She's going to take it to a Sprint store today. Hopefully they agree to replace it for free and don't give her a run-around about it.

Ashley Osmer

Jan 6, 2016
Visit site
Re:

im glad i came across this post. mine is doing the same i have had mine since it first came out. did have g3. love these phones.
mine as done it since tuesday i was backing it up and lg bridge came up with 2 software updates. so i backed my phone up and done the update, now with result as others, on my g4 02 uk unlocked i have
android ver 5.1
kernel 3.10.49
build lmy47d
software v10d234-10
that's the g4 h815, now i dont know to take sd card out back it up, and put my backup original on the phone. or just take sd card out to rule that out.
any ideas please.

that rules out sd card taken out. i think i will go back or do a factory restore.

I factory reset mine and it still shuts down. Any other ideas?

rich4j

Aug 26, 2015
Visit site

Hi,I was facing the exact same issue and mine kept restarting even in safe mode.
Only thing that helped me was removing (disabling) Google search and gmail app. Once I did that my phone stopped restarting.
I realized this after a long process. I disabled all my apps after factory reset and started only 1 app a day. That's how I realized that these 2 apps are the culprit for my phone.

Posted via the Android Central App

kotorog

Jan 23, 2016
Visit site
My LG G4 is doing the same thing. It wont boot, and only go as far as displaying LG logo for about 5 sedonds then shuts off and repeat ...
Purchased my phone from T-Mobile in May. Then after my screen started peeling off, LG warranty department sent me a new device about a month ago.
Has anyone contact LG warranty about this issue? So many people seem to have this problem. I would be so glad just to get my money back and get device from other company.

pushdrops

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
just a followup that my G4 is still fine (bought new in July 2015) and my wife's replacement G4 (sent with no prob from VZW after her 1st phone began to reboot and then would not power on) a few months later is just fine too.

Just so marshmellow is fine once it arrives and doesn't change things up for the worse - these are still great phones - the speaker is very loud, there's no lag (though we don't play games so not sure on gaming performance), battery life is fine and having a charged extra battery to swap out if needed equal no issues with power and the camera is as good as we could ever expect / want from a phone.

JGLdn

Mar 18, 2015
Visit site
Judging by the date you posted this i am assuming you sorted this by now, but just wanted to post for anyone who may find this, and is having the same issue. If this starts happening just once repair / exchange the phone under your warranty. It will get worse, and that's if you are even able to turn it back on after it's powered off the first time.

I had no problems with mine, and one day it just froze, powered off, and wouldn't turn back on. It wouldn't even charge. Turned out the motherboard went and needed replacing. Apparently this is a common issue with G4s bought prior to September 2015.

Repair, or exchange under warranty!

Joexon

Jan 28, 2016
Visit site
Re:

Mikey47. Not sure if a jedi mind trick is in order, but I called the Sprint retailer with my issue. They basically said that it is not their problem. Since I did not purchase insurance with the phone, it is between LG and me. Good night and good luck. Any other advice?

They must replace the LG G4 for free because it's still under warranty...it's within the year time frame....dude, have them seems you a new phone.....

Posted via the Android Central App

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MRG582