Why does my LG G4 keep shutting down?

JGLdn

Mar 18, 2015
Visit site
Re: why does my lg g4 keep shutting down

They should replace your LG G4 for free because is still under warrenty, because its within the year time frame.

Posted via the Android Central App
If you have it on a two year contract the warranty is two years. At least that's how it is in the UK.

Phone Problem

Feb 2, 2016
Visit site
Getting the same problem. i.e keeps shutting down...sometimes removing and re-inserting battery works. Sometimes takes several attempts and sometimes trying to press on/off switch works. Whatever this is not satisfactory.

JGLdn

Mar 18, 2015
Visit site
Getting the same problem. i.e keeps shutting down...sometimes removing and re-inserting battery works. Sometimes takes several attempts and sometimes trying to press on/off switch works. Whatever this is not satisfactory.
Take it back. Repair / Exchange

martiez

Feb 13, 2016
Visit site
Got my LG g4 in August of 2015 with sprint. After a month it started rebooting. I had multiple batteries, no sd card, tried safe mode and factory resets. Took it to sprint to get it fixed and they reset it differently but nothing worked. I had insurance so I could get a replacement easily. While my replacement phone was on the way my phone would it let me use it all. It got stuck on the accessibility page. My replacement phone came that was refurbished came. Just two weeks ago it started doing the same thing. Power cycling but not as bad. It will be fine for a booth 30 seconds and then start again. Weird thing I found though is that when my phone is connected my charger it will not power cycle, reboot or freeze and crash. I'm getting it replaced again but this is starting to get very frustrating. Side note: anybody else have a green spot in their camera when in bright light?

NittanyLion2013

Feb 23, 2016
Visit site
I encountered this same problem today, 23 Feb 2016.

I went to the Verizon store and was told that the most recent update for LG G4 is what is causing this issue. Where the phone shuts off and won't turn back on. LG is aware of said issue and is working on a fix.

Verizon is going to send me a new phone over night shipping, so at least there's that.

JGLdn

Mar 18, 2015
Visit site
I encountered this same problem today, 23 Feb 2016.

I went to the Verizon store and was told that the most recent update for LG G4 is what is causing this issue. Where the phone shuts off and won't turn back on. LG is aware of said issue and is working on a fix.

Verizon is going to send me a new phone over night shipping, so at least there's that.
They have misadvised you. It has nothing to do with the software update. It's a hardware issue. On mine they replaced the motherboard and screening. It is a known issue of LG G4 manufactured prior to Sept 2015.

NittanyLion2013

Feb 23, 2016
Visit site
While I don't doubt your situation, I find mine a little too coincidental. I updated to MM on Monday and then my phone craps out yesterday...regardless, they're sending me a new phone so hopefully it works out. ;)

JGLdn

Mar 18, 2015
Visit site
While I don't doubt your situation, I find mine a little too coincidental. I updated to MM on Monday and then my phone craps out yesterday...regardless, they're sending me a new phone so hopefully it works out. ;)
Aha so you got the marshmallow update. OK, I'm still on Lollipop. Well, yeah either way you're getting a new handset so it's all good

nawrabig

Apr 4, 2016
Visit site
I know for a fact this occurrence isn't totally uncommon. My sister had an LGG3 phone and it turned on for only 15 seconds at a time--literally. I would find it so amusing because it wasn't happening to me. She took it apart and cleaned all the pieces, and now it works for up to 5 minutes before restarting, although it crashes when she gets too many text messages at once. I no longer find it hysterical because she is giving it to me. She upgraded to a better phone, but I don't know the details. I want to fix it myself, if it can be, but I don't know what the problem is.

Antithem

Apr 7, 2016
Visit site
Re: Why does my LG G4 keep shutting down?s one

This is a problem across all carriers im with ATT and on my 2nd G4 and this one died today. its the 2nd one with in a year. I havent contacted LG yet but with the 1st one they were at the of being rude.

Roger002

Apr 20, 2016
Visit site
Welcome to AC.

Return under warranty?

Posted via the Android Central App

The issue was a software one that LG was aware of I called.... it was on the phone from the factory. Was a production run during a very specific time frame they had it almost down to the day. In other words it was garbage from the get-go and they still sold it. I went through hell with mine because I bought it at a Sprint label store not a Sprint store always buy from the not a subcontractor! ! And that suggestion came directly from Sprint

Last edited by a moderator:

rjk3398

Apr 21, 2016
Visit site
i have had this same issue for the past 4 months, and i just got this phone, my last phone did the same thing, it was an lg g3
i love these phones but i think im done buying LG. nothing compares to the quality of the camera, but the glitches and charging issues are just too annoying.

Mikey47

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Re: why does my lg g4 keep shutting down

The issue was a software one that LG was aware of I called.... it was on the phone from the factory. Was a production run during a very specific time frame they had it almost down to the day. In other words it was garbage from the get-go and they still sold it. I went through hell with mine because I bought it at a Sprint label store not a Sprint store always buy from the not a subcontractor! ! And that suggestion came directly from Sprint

I completely disagree. Unless they manufactured phones "very specific time frame" for phones that had serial numbers ranging from 505 up through 509 (and higher). If it was during a very specific time frame it would not be so widespread.

Not saying you're lying, I'm saying they are lying if that is what they told you.

taznotes

Apr 25, 2016
Visit site
So my phone did the same thing that everyone is complaining about. I was using it yesterday and it just shutoff, I tried to turn it back on and it wouldn't go. I took out the battery and tried to turn back on and the screen is blank. I've tried many time to turn it back on and it will get up to the LG screen and then a black screen with a white stripe saying "Android applications starting" but nothing will happen.

I bought the phone in Sept 2015. If I am able to contact LG for a replacement, and anyone know about that process please tell me via email : tilawah@hotmail.com.

Thanks very much:'(

tardus

May 26, 2014
Visit site
So my phone did the same thing that everyone is complaining about. I was using it yesterday and it just shutoff, I tried to turn it back on and it wouldn't go. I took out the battery and tried to turn back on and the screen is blank. I've tried many time to turn it back on and it will get up to the LG screen and then a black screen with a white stripe saying "Android applications starting" but nothing will happen.

I bought the phone in Sept 2015. If I am able to contact LG for a replacement, and anyone know about that process please tell me via email : tilawah@hotmail.com.

Thanks very much:'(

Are you in the US? Go to LG.com and fill out the repair form. They email you a FEDEX return label that you print out. Very easy and they pay shipping both ways, BUT ship ground only it appears so it takes some time. Carriers will try to charge you but generally faster. Also carriers will sent you back a refurb. LG will repair the phone.

legend221

May 11, 2015
Visit site
Can anyone advise of any further issues or problem after the motherboard has been replaced. How do we know if they replaced the motherboard, will they update the information online?

Michael J H

Jul 4, 2013
Visit site
Not to wake a 3-month-sleeping thread....but my excuse is, at least the issue is still relevant and affecting users today (at least it is for me, and I'm sure others?).

I'm on my 2nd G4 (TMobile sent me a refurb a couple months ago cause my 1st one I bought new in May 2015 was struggling with this issue). Refurb started exhibiting the "signs" a day or two ago. Pretty much non-functional today. Trying safe-mode right now...

My question, on a slightly different topic: Does anyone know specifically what apps/services run in safe mode (like a list posted somewhere)? I know Google says "All 3rd party apps that you have installed are disabled". Soooo then does that leave (a) ALL apps/services that are stock/non-user installed? and (b) ALL "1st party user-installed apps", e.g. Youtube Red Music, which is 1st party (Google developed)?

Main reason for asking is I'm wondering if the app/service that user/Merwoman was referring to as the potential culprit, "Android System WebView", is among the whitelisted apps/services that will run in safe mode.

Chris Streidl

Aug 5, 2016
Visit site
This happened to my LG G4 back in March. Tried all the troubleshooting I could find. Removed sd card. Did factory reset. Twice. Still had problems. Had the phone replaced under insurance/warranty. Now my second one is doing it.

Saint556

Aug 15, 2016
Visit site
I've read your other thread and you didn't get "ripped apart" (aside from two inappropriate posts that should be removed). Your other thread was titled, "LG G4 This Phone is Garbage", and people provided help for most of your issues. The random shutdown thing really is rare, in that you two are the only ones I've seen that have this issue. So it's either an app issue from who-knows-what, or it can maybe resolved via factory reset, or your phone just needs to be fixed. As I've read nearly every thread in this forum, and you guys are the only ones to come forward with this issue, then accept the fact that there maybe is something seriously wrong with your phone that not everyone else is experiencing.

Add a third user with same problem. My wife's phone started doing this as well. I'm speculating that it's an app related problem due to her previous phones and problems. Once I'm done troubleshooting I'll post a fix if I find one.

Last edited by a moderator:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bakky