Why does my phone connect to WiFi but says no internet access?

ghost25

May 23, 2011
Visit site
I have an S21+ 5G running Version 12 with the latest updates through AT&T Prepaid. I'm having the weirdest issue, and don't know what broke.

My WiFi seems to be on the fritz. When I'm on mobile data, everything seems okay. When I connect to any wifi source, it usually connects, but the only time I can get internet access is when the icon indicates I don't have connectivity (ie, the WiFi has the exclamation next to it). As soon as the exclamation goes away, so too does my internet. I've restarted my phone, forgotten all network connections including Bluetooth, rebooted my home network, no luck.

I've even delved deeper into the software on my phone and turned on Dev mode. Through that, I've turned on WiFi safe mode, WiFi scan throttling, and Enhanced WiFi MAC randomization, with no changes.

I thought at first that it was due to being a Beta tester for an app, but even after I left the Beta, it still doesn't work. I've verified through my network that I have a valid IP address. I'm stumped.

I don't want to have to factory reset my phone, as I'm paranoid of doing an incorrect backup and losing important stuff. Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this issue?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Can you clarify -- do you mean this happens on any wi-fi network, including those outside your house?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
That's correct; it doesn't matter what WiFi I try to connect to, it seems like something internal got effed.
Try resetting network, go to settings>general management>reset>reset network, will reset Bluetooth and wifi password if don't work go into safe mode

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
You mentioned "Wifi safe mode" -- do you mean the phone's Safe Mode, or some safe mode related to wi-fi?

ghost25

May 23, 2011
Visit site
Try resetting network, go to settings>general management>reset>reset network, will reset Bluetooth and wifi password if don't work go into safe mode

I've done this, and had no success; although it did coincidentally erase a bunch of old Bluetooth connections I forgot I had, so there's that.

ghost25

May 23, 2011
Visit site
You mentioned "Wifi safe mode" -- do you mean the phone's Safe Mode, or some safe mode related to wi-fi?

It's a safe mode related to wi-fi is my understanding; I'm not exactly sure, I saw it as an option in Dev mode so I selected it thinking it might help.

ghost25

May 23, 2011
Visit site
Okay, so I did boot the phone into actual Safe Mode to check, and I'm still having the same issue. Is this maybe due to a misconfigured Raspberry PiHole? It did the exact same thing; "WiFi with exclamation mark" = internet access, "normal WiFi" = site can't be reached.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
What wi-fi security are you using? WPA2? WPA3? Although the S21 is new enough that I would assume it works on WPA3, there's still a possibility that there could be compatibility issues on the newer protocol.