Why does my Pixel 2 keep assigning texts to the wrong contact?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

There's one contact in my Pixel 2 for someone I haven't tried with in a long time. Every one in a while, my phone will assign a text message from someone else to this contact. Usually I know what's going on because it's in the middle of a text conversation - for example, I was texting with my dad last week and one of his text responses came to me as a text from this other person. Only one. It's always the same wrong contact, and it's probably important to note that this old contact and I both have chat features turned on.

Now I have a new isolated missed call and text that came in the middle of the night from this contact, but I'm certain this person didn't send them. I have no idea who did. Any suggestions for uncrossing these wires so I can figure out who actually texted me and prevent this from happening in the future? I tried turning off chat features, restarting my phone, and deleting the contract (the call and text are still sitting up as the person's number). Thanks for any insight or ideas!