Why does my sd card works on laptop but not on my xiaomi phone?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

a couple of weeks ago, some notification appeared to me in my xiaomi redmi note 10 pro, saying that something happened with the sd card that has been working for very long time with my phone, so it gave me an option to format it, I did, and they gave me options to whether format it as part of phone storage or portable, I chose part of phone storage.

Couple days after, I was trying to move files to my sd card, only to realize that it doesn't show up in my phone at all, tried restarting the phone, tried removing the sd card and putting it back, tried putting it in my laptop at first it told me that there's an issue with it and I need to format it, so I did format it through the laptop, and it works perfectly fine on it now, but it still doesn't show up on my phone, tried every avaliable format settings, nothing works.

Moreover, when I put my sd card in my phone which doesn't detect it at all, when I go to the settings "about phone" to see storage, the app crashes instantly.

The SD Card is SanDisk Ultra 128GB
and the phone is Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro.

Any explanation for this issue? how can I solve it?

cmgam

May 10, 2021
Visit site
a couple of weeks ago, some notification appeared to me in my xiaomi redmi note 10 pro, saying that something happened with the sd card that has been working for very long time with my phone, so it gave me an option to format it, I did, and they gave me options to whether format it as part of phone storage or portable, I chose part of phone storage.

Couple days after, I was trying to move files to my sd card, only to realize that it doesn't show up in my phone at all, tried restarting the phone, tried removing the sd card and putting it back, tried putting it in my laptop at first it told me that there's an issue with it and I need to format it, so I did format it through the laptop, and it works perfectly fine on it now, but it still doesn't show up on my phone, tried every avaliable format settings, nothing works.

Moreover, when I put my sd card in my phone which doesn't detect it at all, when I go to the settings "about phone" to see storage, the app crashes instantly.

The SD Card is SanDisk Ultra 128GB
and the phone is Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro.

Any explanation for this issue? how can I solve it?
Hi
I would copy the files from the card to the laptop, buy a new card, format it in the smartphone and copy back the files from the laptop to the new card.
Regards

Enviado do meu SM-A516B através do Tapatalk

Last edited:

joeldf

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure what can be copied off the SD card, the OP said the card's been formatted, at least twice. And there's bigger problems from the start.

That was your first mistake. Formatting as phone storage just made the SD card part of phone's internal memory, which encrypts it and formats it to Android's disk format which is totally different than anything a laptop can read. That means the card is no longer a separate entity while in the phone. It's now considered all one big memory pool. Actual internal memory and SD card is now all one combined bucket.

Couple days after, I was trying to move files to my sd card, only to realize that it doesn't show up in my phone at all...

Of course - it was no longer a separate memory location. It all became internal - just more of it.

...tried restarting the phone, tried removing the sd card and putting it back, tried putting it in my laptop at first it told me that there's an issue with it and I need to format it...

By removing the SD card formatted as internal memory, you broke the filing system for the phone. The laptop wouldn't have recognized the card because it was in a format that is foreign to it and encrypted. So, of course the laptop would suggest formatting. It thinks it's a blank card.

...so I did format it through the laptop, and it works perfectly fine on it now, but it still doesn't show up on my phone, tried every avaliable format settings, nothing works.

Well, you reformatted the card breaking the encryption and it's filesystem, and the phone is still looking for the rest of its storage on that card that is no longer there.

Now, unless someone else has a better idea, the only thing I can suggest is to factory reset the phone. Because it's still looking for the rest of its memory that you basically wiped.

For future reference, it's not a good idea to format the SD card as phone memory, also sometimes called "adoptable", or "internal" memory. Only format as external or "portable".

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

Mr Bojangles1

Oct 29, 2019
Visit site
My guess would be that it didn't get unmounted correctly and when you take it out your phone still acts like it's mounted. Go in your file explorer app and see if it shows it listed as being mounted still. And remove it if it is. I wouldn't use an SD card as storage because it's really not needed in phones today. It's slower than your phones internal storage anyways.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
I'm not sure what can be copied off the SD card, the OP said the card's been formatted, at least twice. And there's bigger problems from the start.

That was your first mistake. Formatting as phone storage just made the SD card part of phone's internal memory, which encrypts it and formats it to Android's disk format which is totally different than anything a laptop can read. That means the card is no longer a separate entity while in the phone. It's now considered all one big memory pool. Actual internal memory and SD card is now all one combined bucket.

Of course - it was no longer a separate memory location. It all became internal - just more of it.

By removing the SD card formatted as internal memory, you broke the filing system for the phone. The laptop wouldn't have recognized the card because it was in a format that is foreign to it and encrypted. So, of course the laptop would suggest formatting. It thinks it's a blank card.

Well, you reformatted the card breaking the encryption and it's filesystem, and the phone is still looking for the rest of its storage on that card that is no longer there.

Now, unless someone else has a better idea, the only thing I can suggest is to factory reset the phone. Because it's still looking for the rest of its memory that you basically wiped.

For future reference, it's not a good idea to format the SD card as phone memory, also sometimes called "adoptable", or "internal" memory. Only format as external or "portable".

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

Yep in that situation you have to factory reset the phone with the card in it, and when it asks if you want to use the card as portable or internal storage, pick portable. ALWAYS pick portable if you're asked that.. internal storage with an SD card is a problem in the making in so many ways lol.

Mr Bojangles1

Oct 29, 2019
Visit site
Part of the problem too I think is that I don't think he knows what formatting means and that he erased everything on it when he did it lol. He gave a good point to why sd cards aren't the best storage for important things though, they can get corrupted pretty easily. Also want to point out that just because your device gives suggestions it doesn't mean that it has to be done. And research, Google, or look for answers to things you don't understand before taking action, especially with valuable things. Have to make mistakes sometimes to learn though, you dont know until you know lol

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TSFDeymos