Why does the ringtone volume of my Samsung S5 drop to zero?

FearMor

May 21, 2020
Visit site
I have a Samsung Galaxy S5. (SM-G900F) running Android version 6.0.1. I set the ringtone to maximum volume which suits me well as I am hard of hearing. For no apparent reason, the ringtone volume drops down to zero without warning and I have missed some important calls. Please, can somebody tell me how to stop this happening?

FearMor

May 21, 2020
Visit site
Hi, B. Diddy: No I do not have Blocking Mode turned on. When ring tone disappers, I go into Sounds and Notifications and find that the slider has gone back to the extreme left hand side. I then slide it to maximum and it works fine but then, for no reason, the slider goes back to the extreme left again and there is no ringtone. How can I persuade the ringtone slider to stay where I set it please?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
If you turn the volume back up by pressing the Volume Up button, does the volume immediately go down afterwards? If so, then the Volume Down button might be stuck in a pressed state (either physically or electronically).

FearMor

May 21, 2020
Visit site
Hi, when I turn the volume up, it stays up and may stay up for several hours. Suddenly, and for no apparent reason, it drops down to zero. I only then find out that I have no ringtone when somebody calls me on my landline to ask why I am not answering my mobile. I then check and find that the volume bar on my S5 has receded to the maximum left position meaning I get no ringing. I can then move it up again and all's well till the next time.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Hi, when I turn the volume up, it stays up and may stay up for several hours. Suddenly, and for no apparent reason, it drops down to zero. I only then find out that I have no ringtone when somebody calls me on my landline to ask why I am not answering my mobile. I then check and find that the volume bar on my S5 has receded to the maximum left position meaning I get no ringing. I can then move it up again and all's well till the next time.
If this happens after several hours be hard to find the issue, you can try factory reset .

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I have done neither as far as I am aware. Please, why should this be relevant?

Just wondering if the headphone volume control might have caused the system volume to go down, either because of accidental button presses on the headphone volume button, or because of a glitch with the headphone jack connection.