why doesn't my galaxy S21 ever work on airplane wifi??

walterkurtz

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
i follow the directions: i put it in airplane mode, then choose airplane carrier's wifi and it always says something to the effect of 'connected without internet'. restarts never help. and when i open a browser window looking for a log in or place to pay i get 'no internet'. is it me? or all airplanes?? thank you!!

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
The 'Connected with no internet' is totally normal as you're connected to the network, but until you sign into the login page, you don't really have Internet. Most airlines require you to access a specific web address to access that login page. Also remember, Internet is usually not available until you reach a certain altitude (and will stop working upon approach to an airport as well).

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
It might depend on the airline. Which airline are you talking about? On Southwest, I've connected before and seen that "Connected without Internet" message, but I can still access the Southwest portal.

walterkurtz

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
most recently JAL from LAX to tokyo. but last year on 4 aeromexico flights between LA and mexico city and two flights to europe and back (united and i forget). fails me every time.

walterkurtz

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
The 'Connected with no internet' is totally normal as you're connected to the network, but until you sign into the login page, you don't really have Internet. Most airlines require you to access a specific web address to access that login page. Also remember, Internet is usually not available until you reach a certain altitude (and will stop working upon approach to an airport as well).

actually, i assumed that was the problem. in a hotel for example, you're usually taken immediately to a log in page. on my sammy i go to open a new browser window expecting it to take me to said page. or in the case of the last flight i went to the log in address they provided. and in both instances it says 'no internet'. it's a vicious cycle!

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
yes it will say connected without internet and i think it also asks me then if i should connect anyway.

This is gonna be an obvious one, but you have to make sure to select that option (Connect Anyway). Make sure you don't have any VPNs or proxies active. Most of the time, the captive portal (login) does usually load automagically, but sometimes, router issues and phone quirks prevent that from happening (but loading the portal address or a 'local' webpage i.e. aa.com on an AA flight can help force it). Also try doing it with the stock browser and not a 3rd party (including Chrome).

walterkurtz

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
This is gonna be an obvious one, but you have to make sure to select that option (Connect Anyway). Make sure you don't have any VPNs or proxies active. Most of the time, the captive portal (login) does usually load automagically, but sometimes, router issues and phone quirks prevent that from happening (but loading the portal address or a 'local' webpage i.e. aa.com on an AA flight can help force it). Also try doing it with the stock browser and not a 3rd party (including Chrome).

yes yes! i choose connect anyway and always connect. and i have my VPN disabled on my samsung. but i'm not sure i know about proxies. i'll try a different browser next time. thank you!

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
If the stock browser does work but Chrome doesn't, try clearing the latter's cache/cookies; they may be interfering with the captive portal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thephilster001