why is google all over the place with updates?

slik6996

Jul 28, 2012
Visit site
If all nexus devices are suppose to be the same why is Google all over the place with different builds for all carriers? Shouldn't one build work just fine for all? In my opinion Google is not in control 100% like people claim. I'm sure carriers are pulling there weight. Just getting confusing with all these damn different updates. I finally flashed the M build for T-Mobile with wugfresh but we shouldn't have to do that. This is getting out of hand if you ask me. Nexus devices are going down the drain slowly it seems. I'm no fan boy just my opinions and frustration. Maybe someone has the answer? Haha

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
If all nexus devices are suppose to be the same why is Google all over the place with different builds for all carriers? Shouldn't one build work just fine for all? In my opinion Google is not in control 100% like people claim. I'm sure carriers are pulling there weight. Just getting confusing with all these damn different updates. I finally flashed the M build for T-Mobile with wugfresh but we shouldn't have to do that. This is getting out of hand if you ask me. Nexus devices are going down the drain slowly it seems. I'm no fan boy just my opinions and frustration. Maybe someone has the answer? Haha

What do you mean "all over the place"?

ray sital

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site

Well that's the thing with nexus, you either wait or you flash it yourself. Other devices don't have that option with an official update.

Posted via the Android Central App

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Google writes an operating environment. It leaves it up to the manufacturers to design the hardware. So if one manufacturer uses port 5 to control brightness of the screen, and another one uses port 23, the software has to be changed for the device. (And there are thousands of those differences for each model phone.) Google doesn't (it should, IMO, but it doesn't) dictate how the hardware should be built. If Google licensed the manufacturers to only use Android on devices that ran on the software as-is, it would make for a much less splintered system, and once Google came out with an update, it would be much faster before the individual phone updates came out. (If one phone had a fingerprint reader and another one didn't, the manufacturer might want to take that code out for the phone that didn't, to allow more space for the user to use, for instance.) They could also not allow the carriers to modify the phones with bloat. (Apple does. If you're a carrier and want to sell iPhones, you sell the ones Apple produces. If you don't like the lack of bloat, don't sell iPhones [and be out of business in a few months].)

I don't think Google's crystal ball was working when they decided how to "do" Android. Then again, hindsight is always 20/20.

I mean why does each carrier have different 5.1 builds there is like 4 or 5 different 5.1 builds.
At least. There's at least one build for each model, and there may be different builds for the same model for different countries, or even for different carriers in the same country. 20 builds for one model isn't uncommon. And that manufacturer may have 5 different devices, so that's 100 builds for just one manufacturer.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
My opinion is that google gave the carriers more input to "optimize" the radios etc for their networks or it looks like that now. To use the carrier's to help sell the Nexus 6, they gave them input. The updates have slowed down so I guess they also gave the carriers the ability to give the thumbs up on that carriers updates for the Nexus 6. I did not know when I sideloaded the "D" update that it would be the correct on for my carrier, ATT, just got lucky.

I guess with future updates I will wait a few days to see which is which although flashing an image is pretty simple so even if you flash the non optimized update, it is easily fixed by flashing the correct on once you learn which it is.

I wish Google would shed some light on this and given a heads up...

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Verizon won't share the data needed to update the radios which is why the Galaxy Nexus was such a cluster to begin with and why until now there hasn't been another nexus between those two.

As Planoman said, Google is taking the radio optimization route and do you want the radios to work their best and not drain the battery, do you think Apple doesn't optimize their radios as well, most likely its just embedded in the OS and some of the radio code is on or off. I don't see an issue since Google IS releasing the updates and you DON'T have to wait if you want to flash. I mean they just released another minor update, but really need to fix the memory leak issue asap, like before Android M comes out.

bob2300

Mar 10, 2010
Visit site
Google has said different ROMs will be unified later on. So they will be going to 1 version down the road, I dont see what all the ******** is about though. Each variant has minor changes

radicchio

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
At this point, the general consensus seems to be that D = AT&T, M = T-Mobile, E = Verizon, and I = International. And, evidently, this is due to optimizing certain features with various carriers/locations. So my question isn't so much why Google is all over the place, but why couldn't they communicate with their customers and let us know which version is for which carrier/location? Once they release the files, they know people are going to start sideloading. So why not provide customers the information they need and to which they are entitled? Just because no great harm is done loading a version of 5.1 other than the one that is optimized for your particular phone doesn't absolve Google from providing information to which a customer should be entitled.

BargainingJew

Banned
Mar 10, 2015
Visit site
At this point, the general consensus seems to be that D = AT&T, M = T-Mobile, E = Verizon, and I = International. And, evidently, this is due to optimizing certain features with various carriers/locations. So my question isn't so much why Google is all over the place, but why couldn't they communicate with their customers and let us know which version is for which carrier/location? Once they release the files, they know people are going to start sideloading. So why not provide customers the information they need and to which they are entitled? Just because no great harm is done loading a version of 5.1 other than the one that is optimized for your particular phone doesn't absolve Google from providing information to which a customer should be entitled.

Yeah I'd prefer a unified build, but at least give some info. Very poor form.

bob2300

Mar 10, 2010
Visit site
It is humorous that you believe this and take it as gospel.

It is hilarious that you care so much. Just posting what I have heard, youre welcome to disagree (where are your sources?). Personally I couldnt give two ****s, each build has minor changes anyways.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Authority_Institute