Why is my Amazon Appstore using heavy battery with Lollipop after updating other apps?

A

AC Question

Amazon Appstore heavy battery use with Lollipop after updating other apps

I just installed Lollipop on my LG G2 (Verizon) this week. I've been noticing poor battery life and when I checked the battery usage, Android Appstore was at the top of the list, around 20%. Today, my phone was running great, still close to 100% after 2 hours. Then I installed a few app updates using Google Play Store and all of a sudden I felt my phone getting warm again, and when I checked the battery use, Amazon Appstore was at the top again. I had automatic updates turned off but still had notifications enabled, so I just turned those off (as well as data collection, had not seen that one before). Not sure if that will fix it, but worth a shot.

Is there a bug in the Amazon Appstore app that is causing it to go crazy when other apps are updated? How would I even report this to Amazon? I guess I should reboot my phone and see if the battery drain stops. I haven't noticed this pre-Lollipop.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: Amazon Appstore heavy battery use with Lollipop after updating other apps

Welcome to Android Central! Which version do you have? There were recently two successive updates for Amazon Appstore, so it's possible the second one was to address the battery issue. I'm on 16.0001.890.0C_646000110.

Mister_Bill

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site

I am the original poster. That is the version of the Appstore app that I have installed.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Try going to Settings>Apps, select Amazon Appstore, and Clear Cache/Clear Data, then Force Stop. Now log back in, and see if it persists.

Also, did this still happen after the reboot?

Mister_Bill

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site

The reboot did solve the problem initially, but.as soon as I installed another app using Google Play Store, it came back.

Strangely, even now, a few reboots later (for various reasons) and with my machine running well (96% battery left after 2+ hours being unplugged), Appstore still shows 20% utilization. That's supposed to be current and not historical info, right?

Is it still true that I need to root my phone to get really reliable battery usage info? I've never done it for fear of bricking my phone.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

The battery stats should reset after a full charge. There might also be a menu setting in the Battery menu to reset the stats, although I don't see one in my Nexus 5.

Sorry, but I can't comment on rooting to get reliable battery info--although I'm not sure how that would help.