Why is my battery life draining so fast?

Oct 2, 2021
Visit site
I have only woken up and my battery drained like crazy. Somehow, 9GAG is the one which drained the most, I don't really care about that, I will uninstall it later if needed. The point here is that the Carrier services, Android system, Google Play services, Google Play store and Cell standby have really high usages! I have just done a factory reset yesterday and things have seem to get only worse. I used to have 500-700 mAh usage for the android system and that used to be about it. Right now, just over night, I have something almost twice as consuming! If I were to continue the day without having the need to recharge right now, everything would have been around 2000-3000 mAh just for the "system/needed apps" in order for the device to run. I do not find this thing normal. Can anyone please help me?

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
I have only woken up and my battery drained like crazy. Somehow, 9GAG is the one which drained the most, I don't really care about that, I will uninstall it later if needed. The point here is that the Carrier services, Android system, Google Play services, Google Play store and Cell standby have really high usages! I have just done a factory reset yesterday and things have seem to get only worse. I used to have 500-700 mAh usage for the android system and that used to be about it. Right now, just over night, I have something almost twice as consuming! If I were to continue the day without having the need to recharge right now, everything would have been around 2000-3000 mAh just for the "system/needed apps" in order for the device to run. I do not find this thing normal. Can anyone please help me?

Welcome as a new member.

What phone? How long have you had it?

Oct 2, 2021
Visit site
Also I'm using a Xiaomi Redmi Note 8 Pro and I've been owning it for one year and a half, or something close to that. It's not about the battery being too old or anything like that because you can see in the photo I just uploaded, it is a software related issue, not hardware.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2021-10-02-10-08-54-004_com.miui.securitycenter.jpg
    Screenshot_2021-10-02-10-08-54-004_com.miui.securitycenter.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 6
Oct 2, 2021
Visit site
Oh and I almost forgot, I just installed AccuBattery to see more accurately which app is draining my battery. I also have a Pro license on it so everything should be fine. I do understand that right now the battery life may be a little bit more poor because I have locked it and I have disabled any battery optimizations so that it can work properly.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! I wouldn't call that really high battery usage by those system components. Remember that Google Play Services is an integral part of the system, and is utilized by many different apps, so it's always going to be active. The same obviously goes for Android System. Cell Standby will always use some battery (although the worse your cell signal is, the more battery is used -- how's your cell signal in general?).

Instead of looking at those details, tell us what your overall battery life has been -- i.e., what your screen-on time and standby time has been.

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
I was going to mention cell signal drain but B. Diddy beat me to that. Just to piggyback on what he said though, the device will work harder to connect to and maintain a signal which I've seen drain some devices in a third to half of the usual life just trying to connect. These things hate being undetectable... not connected to data... not being able to send every piece of data they collect back to all of the data collectors getting rich off of us. Yeah that's the one. lol.

Anyway, SOT will affect battery life too. Being that this all started because you were concerned about your battery life, you're probably turning on the screen more checking your status while not realizing that extra checks equal more battery usage too. So again to what B. Diddy was saying, try using the device normally and see what your actual battery life is, while also not doing any extra checks, because at the end of the day it is less about what is using battery and more about how long you can go without the phone dying or the need to charge, am I right?

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
I’ve been using a particular phone with mobile data switched off much of the time, because of limited data. A week ago I changed to a different plan and can afford to keep mobile data on all the time. Even with little use of the data, battery life has been noticeably reduced from the first day. But, it is only to be expected, especially as the signal is sometimes poor.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Oh and I almost forgot, I just installed AccuBattery to see more accurately which app is draining my battery. I also have a Pro license on it so everything should be fine. I do understand that right now the battery life may be a little bit more poor because I have locked it and I have disabled any battery optimizations so that it can work properly.
Hi, welcome to AC!

Tracing battery issues is going be a long road as there so many things can be , from signal/carrier, a app or application , do you game on your device? See what Accubattery says for battery degradation in few days after it collects information, can try safe mode for periods at a time this will eliminate 3rd party applications to see if they causing this .

Oct 2, 2021
Visit site
The standby time has been quite good but the SoT is just awful. It's around 3-4 and a half hours. Right now, I did a factory reset, and besides that the other apps went back to normal, the Android System still went like 300-400 mAh BUT now the battery life was almost 6 hours with still 25% left! This is the battery life I'm looking for, around 7-8 hours. This is how it's been when I initially bought the device and it's just lovely to not care about the battery for an entire life. I will see again today if it's going to be the same or just go back to 4 hours.. :(. Also there's a weird thing. The android system did not show up as draining the battery in AccuBattery which is kinda weird. I will see again today. I also installed GSam Battery Monitor but I think it's kinda useless because I cannot give it adb permission because I'm not home right now so I don't have access to my PC. Also about the signal, it's been quite good, that shouldn't be the problem since I live in a quite big city. Right now, where it's way worse (I don't even have 4G/internet) it lasted me, just how much I mentioned above.(I was on Wi-Fi 24/7)

Oct 2, 2021
Visit site
Yeah, that's about right but even with extra checks / normal usage, yesterday I got an amazing (almost) 6 hours of battery! And 25% battery left! It's way better than the usual 3-4 hours. It is about how long I can go without the phone dying but it's also nice to know that I can actually use it for around 7-8 hours before it dying, not just 7-8 of combined use:).

Oct 2, 2021
Visit site
Well, for some reason I only have low signal indoors which is awkward because I'm like 6-7 hours a day in school and theoretically the battery life should be halved/worse. It is worse BUT I'm not quite sure if just being indoors makes the signal that bad because I still live in a relatively big city.

Oct 2, 2021
Visit site
Hey, I do not game on my phone BUT if I do game I expect it to not last that long, and ofc I would see a high usage in the lift for that specific game(s), BUT that's not the problem here. AccuBattery says 80% right now but I'm pretty sure it should go up a little bit. Or that's what I hope.. Anyways, I'm wondering if AccuBattery is accurate because in the android's battery stats thing Android System used around 400 mAh but in AccuBattery used like 20 or 2 can't remember BUT still anatomically lower than the one on the default battery stats. I don't think that SafeMode is needed because statistically at least, there's no app showing as draining the battery.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
One thing you can try is to boot into Safe Mode and see how the battery is for most of the day (if feasible). Many apps utilize Google Play Services, so it can be difficult to know for sure which app might be contributing to increased utilization, but at least Safe Mode can show you if the drain is due to something you installed vs some issue with the system.

OMACP is a system app for SIM configuration.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
The standby time has been quite good but the SoT is just awful. It's around 3-4 and a half hours. Right now, I did a factory reset, and besides that the other apps went back to normal, the Android System still went like 300-400 mAh BUT now the battery life was almost 6 hours with still 25% left! This is the battery life I'm looking for, around 7-8 hours. This is how it's been when I initially bought the device and it's just lovely to not care about the battery for an entire life. I will see again today if it's going to be the same or just go back to 4 hours.. :(. Also there's a weird thing. The android system did not show up as draining the battery in AccuBattery which is kinda weird. I will see again today. I also installed GSam Battery Monitor but I think it's kinda useless because I cannot give it adb permission because I'm not home right now so I don't have access to my PC. Also about the signal, it's been quite good, that shouldn't be the problem since I live in a quite big city. Right now, where it's way worse (I don't even have 4G/internet) it lasted me, just how much I mentioned above.(I was on Wi-Fi 24/7)
If the battery capacity like mentioned 80% then you cant expect it to be like the day you got it , thats 20% reduction in battery when new , and probably why you seeing 3 to 4.5 SOT compared when you got new 6 to7 SOT

Oct 2, 2021
Visit site
This is what happened overnight. I shall try using safe mode for now. I wanna see if android systems and the others still drain the same amount. It's usually 100 mAh in a few hours.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2021-10-05-09-31-17-611_com.miui.securitycenter.jpg
    Screenshot_2021-10-05-09-31-17-611_com.miui.securitycenter.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 2