Why no Andriod 8.1 update on my Essential Phone from Sprint?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

After suffering through the screen scrolling and display bugs with the Essential Phone, I was thrilled to learn that the Android 8.1 update resolved most of these problems. However, after almost 2 weeks since release, my phone still sits at version 7.1.1. Is this delay due to my phone being locked by Sprint?

Apr 6, 2018
Visit site
One of the best things about the Essential and it's original concept was that the phone is not tied to one carrier; thus the Android updates would be fortchming quicker and easier to obtain. We are not locked to one carrier.

However, those who went the Sprint route also tied themselves to Sprint rely on Sprint to distribute updates which means one more cook in the kitchen and delayed OS updates and patches. Sprint customers savedmoney. I have not checked to see if any hardware on the phone too away its abaility to use any carrier or was odified to only be a Speint only Essential.

wmurch3

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
essential confirmed to me that if you were on the Oreo beta you would get the stable upgrade. might be the best route if you can still install the beta.

Apr 6, 2018
Visit site
The great thing about the Essential Phone was it was user-centric. It put the users back in control. By buying it from Sprint, the carrier is back in control and users are tied to them for a period of time.

Does Sprint add software to the phone? Can you remove it? Wondering minds want to know.

mogelijk

Trusted Member
Jul 14, 2013
Visit site
The great thing about the Essential Phone was it was user-centric. It put the users back in control. By buying it from Sprint, the carrier is back in control and users are tied to them for a period of time.

Does Sprint add software to the phone? Can you remove it? Wondering minds want to know.

The only thing I recall "added" to the Essential by Sprint is their app and the software needed to fully use the phone on Sprint's network (to allow WiFi calling, voicemail, etc.), and the Sprint app can be easily removed. I can't think of any bloatware Sprint added to the phone.

tech_head

Q&A Team
Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
The only thing I recall "added" to the Essential by Sprint is their app and the software needed to fully use the phone on Sprint's network (to allow WiFi calling, voicemail, etc.), and the Sprint app can be easily removed. I can't think of any bloatware Sprint added to the phone.

They added some system apps that you need to be root to get rid of.