Why not root?

jian9007

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
No issues for me rooting. My Nexus 6 is currently unrooted, though. I just unlocked the bootloader and flashed a new boot image that decrypts and/or adds double tap to wake (if so desired, as one boot image just decrypts and the other one decrypts and adds double tap to wake, it you choose), no root needed. My Samsung, HTC and other phones are always rooted first thing but with the Nexus 6, it's not necessary for me at this time (though my Nexus 7 was rooted as was my Nexus 4). Nexus is the least feared phone if you want to root, as it's super easy and you're highly unlikely to fully brick it.

wtherrell

Aug 23, 2010
Visit site
I have never tried for fear of bricking. I can do a lot to fix a pc, but my lack knowledge of the code for android scares me a good bit. I also don't want void a warranty.

Posted via the Android Central App
Allay your trepidation, as Batman used to say. It's almost impossible to hard brick a Nexus. Yes, there's a little learning curve, but with the help of the forum community and a little reading, you'll be surprised how easy it all is. Interesting, and fun. Do a little reading here and on XDA . You have naught to fear but fear itself.

wtherrell

Aug 23, 2010
Visit site
Why not root?

Because it voids the warranty.
Warranty, schmarranty. Before discovering rooting and romming I had 7 devices. I have rooted, rommed, my last 8 phones/ tablets and have never even come close to needing warranty service on any of the 15. Plus there's always Square Trade. Worst case, you can pick up a nice, slightly older phone cheaply from a variety of sources. But, if warranty is that important to you and you still want to get into rooting, romming then try this: Pick up an older Nexus phone or tablet to use WiFi only and develop your skills.
When I think of all the fascinating stuff I would have missed out on had I fixated on warranty..... blows my mind.
But, to each his own.
Have a happy and prosperous New Year!

davey11

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
I root and unlock the bootloader as soon as it comes out of the box. The advantages are too numerous to list. I'll just list a few.

Titanium backup. If you're not familiar with this app, it backs up every app and settings so when switching roms, you get back to where you were in minutes. Every game, email, etc exactly to where you were previously.

Change fonts. I love different fonts.

Install custom kernels. They really make a difference in battery life. Most all the top kernel guys have n6's like imoseyon, faux123, Franciscofranco. They make the phone fly.

Get rid of the eye blinding white in settings and other screens.

I have NEVER taken an ota, simply because I feel custom roms are superior to stock, and the developers are way faster than Google in getting the latest version to us users. I been on 502 the day it was released. I'm currently on liquid but there are lots out there.

Yeah I am a full on hacker. And since we have factory images, your warranty fears are a non issue.

Attachments

• 13774.jpg
    13774.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 95

anon(5506951)

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
I root and unlock the bootloader as soon as it comes out of the box. The advantages are too numerous to list. I'll just list a few.

Titanium backup. If you're not familiar with this app, it backs up every app and settings so when switching roms, you get back to where you were in minutes. Every game, email, etc exactly to where you were previously.

Change fonts. I love different fonts.

Install custom kernels. They really make a difference in battery life. Most all the top kernel guys have n6's like imoseyon, faux123, Franciscofranco. They make the phone fly.

Get rid of the eye blinding white in settings and other screens.

I have NEVER taken an ota, simply because I feel custom roms are superior to stock, and the developers are way faster than Google in getting the latest version to us users. I been on 502 the day it was released. I'm currently on liquid but there are lots out there.

Yeah I am a full on hacker. And since we have factory images, your warranty fears are a non issue.

You seem to know what you're talking about; as for me, I'd never root on my own. I'd have to pay someone to do all that, lol.

davey11

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
You seem to know what you're talking about; as for me, I'd never root on my own. I'd have to pay someone to do all that, lol.

I been at it awhile. The first few times, I was scared shtless. If you follow some of the guides that are out there WORD FOR WORD it's not so bad. Then after a few times the fear level goes WAY down. And there is no need for adb, all commands use fastboot which is a dumbed downed set of commands compared to adb. There are some great YouTube vids that will hold your hand and guide you step by step through these 'stressful' procedures.

Actually fastboot is only for unlocking the bootloader, the rest get done with a custom recovery ie TWRP or team win recovery project.

DLK1

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
Guess what, there are these toolkits that you install on your Windows comp and you can accomplish most all these things like unlocking and rooting, installing twrp etc with a few mouse clicks, easy peasy. I recommend wugs.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=56913254

I was about to suggest this very same program. I have unlock and rooted my Nexus 5 several times. Created backup and load image files as soon as they come out, no need to wait for OTA.
Take a link and the above website.

Edit: Take a look at the link above website. D%&n auto complete gets me all the time.

Kwdan

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
If you follow some of the guides that are out there WORD FOR WORD it's not so bad, And there is no need for adb, all commands use fastboot which is a dumbed downed set of commands compared to adb. There are some great YouTube vids that will hold your hand and guide you step by step through these 'stressful' procedures.

Actually fastboot is only for unlocking the bootloader, the rest get done with a custom recovery ie TWRP or team win recovery project.

That's why I said there are some misconceptions about rooting. These are some very easy methods to accomplish rooting and installing roms. I've only used adb to type in the 2 commands to get started ="are you sure you want to continue? "" Y/N"?. You only add or take away from the device what you want. (swap back and menu key, free tether, notification led, long press recents for menu key, center or remove clock, battery saver icon) so many features to personalize phone. Phone's fine out of the box, but rooting makes it that much better.

mxmarcus

May 7, 2010
Visit site
I am getting mine probably today and I am rooting first before I insert the sim card in

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site

Well... I'll second the Wugfresh recommendation. It's an incredibly well-done tool... not only will it do pretty much EVERYTHING... updates, backups, emergency recoveries... it also goes out and grabs the latest files that it needs AND it does a pretty good job of explaining what it is doing along the way.... Nice touch that last bit. It helps educate you on the process so it isn't all that intimidating.

Now, there are plenty here that scoff at toolkits... They'll say that if you can't unlock, root and load a custom recovery using the raw commands, you shouldn't be doing it in the first place. I disgree with that strongly. I am no more intimidated loading a custom rom now as I am installing an app... but back in the day, when I rooted my first device and loaded a custom ROM, I was worried that I would break things.... The first device I loaded a custom ROM on, I would have loved to have had something like the Nexus Root Toolkit. Even though I'm now well versed in all the commands and processes, I still use it because, well, its easy.

Wugfresh is like an experienced user letting you look over his shoulder while he works on your phone. If it opens up the world of custom software to a user who otherwise would never root or load a custom ROM... there's nothing bad about that.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Why not root?

Because it voids the warranty.

Horribly overrated statement.

First, there is no Knox or any kind of flash counter on a Nexus... You can revert any phone back to stock as long as it turns on... even if the screen is junk and doesn't light up (if you can get it blind-loaded into the bootloader). But if the phone is utterly trashed, no one is going to bother worrying about if you rooted it or not, they are most likely going to bin it anyhow.

Second, it is damn near impossible to perma-brick a Nexus to the point where you can't, at minimum, flash the factory images via 'fastboot'. If you can get it into the bootloader menu, you can fix it... and even then.... there's a backup bootloader on the odd chance that you screwed up the primary bootloader (trust me on that one... long story).

So you can get that modified Nexus back to bone, 100% stock... locked, stock kernel, system software... you name it... Now, I am sure some forensic digital media expert could then examine your phone and determine that you may have modified the device, but neither your carrier, nor Google and Motorola, cares enough about you or what you've done to go to that step.... that kind of stuff is reserved for the FBI, etc.

So if you have to return your phone because you cracked the screen, or the speakers stopped working, or the radio fried... I guess the only scenario where you'd be SOL would be if you broke the USB port and your computer can't connect... then I guess I'd take out my trusty hammer and put it down like Ol' Yeller.... but I actually haven't heard of something like that happening recently.

So yes... if you waltz into T-Mobile and hand them an unlocked, rooted Nexus 6 running a custom ROM, yes.. they might void your warranty, but then that would be your own damn fault for being stupid. :)

Kwdan

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
I have to post this..Because I'm rooted, I have the "Okay Google" command on every screen.. Even with screen locked. I didn't know how useful this feature was until I used it. With my phone across the room I could start playing music, search, send text, set reminders, respond to text and so much more. Does anyone know why Google removed this feature? Was it legal reason with Motorola?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abdul Ali