Why won't Google Play Music sync with Playlists/Recent music to my phone (But Will Sync Other Way)?

ShishkyBob

Jul 21, 2016
Visit site
Google Play Music Won't Sync Playlists/Recent Music to Phone (But Will Sync Other Way)

I've been using Google Music for a while now and have never had any problems until last week. Suddenly, it stopped syncing all music and playlists to my phone (LG G4, not rooted). Right now, my phone has three automatic playlists (Thumbs Up, Last Added, and Free and Purchased) but none of my dozen+ personally created playlists. It has most of my actual music synced except for a few recent purchases. When I create a playlist on my phone, it'll sync to the web app (creating a new playlist populated with the songs added on my phone), but changes I make on the web app (deleting songs or the new playlist) won't sync back to the phone. When I look at the sync status for my Google account, it keeps saying "sync error" and indicates that there is a problem syncing Google Music. I have had no other problems with anything else syncing.

I've attempted the steps outlined in the "My music won't sync to my device" troubleshooting guide Google put out a couple of times and it hasn't fixed anything. I've uninstalled/reinstalled the app, cleared data/cache, refreshed the library, and factory reset my phone. Not fixed.

The only thing I can think of is that at the same time the sync stopped fully working, my sd card started having problems. I had downloaded most of my music library onto my card at the time. When the card went bad (couldn't format, kept giving me errors, wouldn't connect to computer), so did my sync. I fail to see how the two could be related, though. I've removed the card, and I've factory reset the phone. No dice.

Any suggestions?

ShishkyBob

Jul 21, 2016
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Does this happen on both wi-fi and mobile data?

Yep! Sometimes the playlists will show up but be empty (no songs there even though the songs show up in GPM), and sometimes they disappear again. My phone says sync error, but only with GPM.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Maybe try deauthorizing the device in Google Play Music, then remove your Google account from the phone (in Settings>Accounts), add it back again, and reauthorize the device. Remember that you can only deauthorize up to 4 devices per year, so don't do this too many times.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
When you go to Settings>Accounts-Google, what happens if you turn the Google Play Music sync switch off, then back on again? Does it still say Sync Error?

Shane Wallace1

Jul 27, 2016
Visit site
Did they get your problem solved?
I am having the same problem. SD card failed last week and hasn't synced playlists correctly since.
I tried the same corrective steps as you to no avail.

Jgebs

Aug 12, 2016
Visit site
Re: Google Play Music Won't Sync Playlists/Recent Music to Phone (But Will Sync Other Way)

Happening on my new galaxy s7 as well (playlists are visible but about half of them are empty). Tried removing and re-adding the Google account, clearing cache and disabling Google play / Google play services / Google play music, rebooting, etc. I spoke with a Google support rep who had me run through all those steps to no avail. She said it is probably a bug on the Google side and need to wait for an update...

Anyone else find a fix besides just waiting for an update?

snake02_78

May 5, 2013
Visit site
Re: Google Play Music Won't Sync Playlists/Recent Music to Phone (But Will Sync Other Way)

I'm in the same boat after changing to an S7 Edge. All my playlists are the but empty and I get the sync error.

Posted via the Android Central App

Gregorybrowning

Aug 12, 2016
Visit site
Same issue here. I've worked with 4 different people at Google. I've done every troubleshooting step know to man, including multiple super inconvenient factory resets on my Samsung Galaxy S6 and Google Play Music will still not sync. Everything is fine on my PC. My Sonos app works fine with Google Play Music and is syncing correctly. I too was having SD card issues on an old Samsung S4 where I had pinned a number of playlists to my SD card. I've since jettisoned that phone. The new phone doesn't have an SD card slot and I'm thinking that has something to do with the issue. The service thinks I've already downloaded those songs. I've since deleted every playlist that wouldn't sync and still not working. I've also upgraded to the pay service (albeit on the three month free trial) thinking that would somehow help, but no dice. Very frustrated. I've got thousands of songs uploaded to Google and without the ability to create and update playlists, the service is useless to me. Anyone have any thoughts on how to fix?

Scratch4

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
Same issue here. I've worked with 4 different people at Google. I've done every troubleshooting step know to man, including multiple super inconvenient factory resets on my Samsung Galaxy S6 and Google Play Music will still not sync. Everything is fine on my PC. My Sonos app works fine with Google Play Music and is syncing correctly. I too was having SD card issues on an old Samsung S4 where I had pinned a number of playlists to my SD card. I've since jettisoned that phone. The new phone doesn't have an SD card slot and I'm thinking that has something to do with the issue. The service thinks I've already downloaded those songs. I've since deleted every playlist that wouldn't sync and still not working. I've also upgraded to the pay service (albeit on the three month free trial) thinking that would somehow help, but no dice. Very frustrated. I've got thousands of songs uploaded to Google and without the ability to create and update playlists, the service is useless to me. Anyone have any thoughts on how to fix?

I had the same issue with my new Galaxy S7. Fortunately and unfortunately, what worked for me was resetting my GPM account which meant deleting all my uploaded songs, playlists, likes, counts, etc (essentially starting new). It took some time, but I'm not having any issues (thus far.. it's been a couple weeks). See my posts in the thread below...

http://forums.androidcentral.com/as...aylists-empty-sync-experiencing-problems.html

CollegePartyBoy

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
Same exact issue on my Note 7. No issues with older Samsung tablets that are still being used. No issue with my S7E, that is still alive. And, yes, I have checked how many devices are authorized. I had already tried every single suggestion listed here, other than removing all my music and uploading it. If they think I'm going to go through all that trouble...Ha! The only solace I take is knowing I'm not alone.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
max mays