Why You Won't Get Me to Give Up Touchwiz Launcher for Nova

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
Somehow on my Galaxy S7 I managed to get my folders to where when I opened the folder I could scroll down to see all my apps in that folder. However on the Note I've noticed I have to scroll right. I FAR prefer scrolling down (has the effective feeling of "one screen" rather than multiple). But I can't figure out how to get it to do that on the Note. Having said that, I did install Nova on the S7 and don't even really remember doing anything with it...but I'm wondering if I might have changed the folder behavior via Nova. At any rate, Nova is no longer installed on the S7 and the folders still scroll "down" rather than sideways...so I'm hoping it's something I can set up in TW however I've yet to find it.

All-in-all I have no real complaints about TW. W-A-Y better than it was back in my Fascinate days.
That's a nova thing. I prefer scrolling vertically as well. Especially in my app tray. I don't like scrolling horizontally using touchwiz.

French

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
[snip] This is going to seem like blasphemy... daring to attack nova launcher, but there are several reasons why I prefer the touchwiz launcher to it. 1) I like that if I download several apps, until I remember their names, I know exactly where to find them: at the end of the app drawer. When I'm ready to alphabetize them, I can click the sort option...[/snip]

--RICH

I thought I was the only one...I saw a post somewhere where someone complained that the alphabetical sort preference doesn't really work because apps appear at the end until you manually sort them, but I'm totally with you on this one. I like to download stuff and try it out over a few hours or even days, and often it doesn't "make the cut". This is such an easy way to find them quickly and do what I want until I decide if they will become permanent.

RichBrown68

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
I thought I was the only one...I saw a post somewhere where someone complained that the alphabetical sort preference doesn't really work because apps appear at the end until you manually sort them, but I'm totally with you on this one. I like to download stuff and try it out over a few hours or even days, and often it doesn't "make the cut". This is such an easy way to find them quickly and do what I want until I decide if they will become permanent.

EXACTLY the point..... and setting it up so that duplicates of the icons automatically appear on the home screen is not a solution. That just creates more work.

--RICH

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
That option is always off for me (on any launcher). I hate it just adding it somewhere! :p.
I keep it off in the Play Store and on in Nova. After installing a new app I decide if I remove it from the screen or keep it and then change the icon and move it to some folder.

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Nova really is the best for me. The name touch wiz makes me cringe just hearing it. My note 7 flies like it's a nexus device. Wouldn't have gone back to android if nova wasn't an option.

I think this comment perfectly sums up TouchWiz. Samsung took SO LONG to improve it, that now people won't even give it a legit shot. I don't blame them at all either. Samsung really screwed the pooch in taking so long to make it a better interface. That being said, I enjoy TouchWiz now and I think Samsung deserves loads of credit for what they've finally accomplished. I really don't see the need for Nova anymore. After 6 days with this, I've uninstalled Nova and will stick with TW until further notice.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
I like Wiz this time, since functional and appears more integrated with the overall device now. Not seeing the speed issues or overt lag being touted (or presumed).

archer75

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
EXACTLY the point..... and setting it up so that duplicates of the icons automatically appear on the home screen is not a solution. That just creates more work.

--RICH

Not really. This is how I prefer it. I leave them there to remind me to test out. If they make the cut they get put into folders. Otherwise I'm dragging them out of the app drawer which is more work.

queenren

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
I use both. In fact, I have both Nova and Line Launcher installed on my device. I switch Launchers when it suits me.

Android is full of choices.

RichBrown68

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Not really. This is how I prefer it. I leave them there to remind me to test out. If they make the cut they get put into folders. Otherwise I'm dragging them out of the app drawer which is more work.

Not really what? You're saying that I'm incorrect about what works for me? Ha ha...... Okay :)

--RICH

Dude2

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Got my Note 7 Saturday, 8/20. Trying to use TW as long as I am able and so far so good. One problem I am having is using the built in Samsung Internet app trying to edit/customize the title of an Internet Site shortcut placed on the Home Screen? Can the title be changed in TW?

I hope this is not a deal breaker.

jlczl

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
Not really what? You're saying that I'm incorrect about what works for me? Ha ha...... Okay :)

--RICH
I read it as simply saying that it's not really more work. That it is actually quite simple to do it the way he likes to do it. Not that you're wrong, since we all do things differently. That's the great thing about Android.

jj2339

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
My major complaint is not putting the app drawer in the middle, and inability to move it. Not sure why TouchWiz won't let you move it.

I also like the personalized swipes you can set in Nova

PlaybookFanatic

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
I have enjoyed it ever since I tried a 6P. I like the Google Now to the left from the main screen and having the Google widget always at the top :).

I think I hate it because I hate pure android. I used to hate being at Sprint and that 1 in 97867888 customer would come in with a broken Nexus. I have PTSD 😂

komobu

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site
This is going to seem like blasphemy... daring to attack nova launcher, but there are several reasons why I prefer the touchwiz launcher to it. 1) I like that if I download several apps, until I remember their names, I know exactly where to find them: at the end of the app drawer. When I'm ready to alphabetize them, I can click the sort option. ...

Can you tell me how to sort in touchwiz?