Wi-Fi trouble connecting - Infuse at fault - now what?

icermize

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
I have been having Wi-Fi connection problems with my Infuse and decided to do some comparisons. With four Wi-Fi devices in my home, Infuse, iPhone, iPad and iPod, the only device receiving a very weak signal is the Infuse. This problem is not isolated to my home Wi-Fi router.
This morning I took the Infuse, iPad and iPod to my local Starbucks to access the AT&T Hotspot. Sitting about 20 feet from the entrance, the iPod works fine, the iPad works sporadically and the Infuse does not work at all. In fact, the Infuse does not indicate that the AT&T Wi-Fi exists.
I entered the store and sat approximately 10 feet from where the router is located. Using the Infuse, I was immediately requested to accept the AT&T agreement and everything worked fine.
Obviously, I'm not thrilled with this situation and was curious to know if others have done similar comparisons and what results were found. I am hoping the next update will address this issue but I have my doubts. I am aware that my Infuse may have an issue that similar devices do not.
I have attempted every trick I can think of to resolve this problem but I'm convinced that for whatever reason, my Infuse does not pick up Wi-Fi unless the router is very close.
Thanks in advance for any helpful comments.
Icer

estebanj

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
Hi. I have noticed WiFi is weaker on the Infuse compared to my iPhone 4, but not weak enough to be an issue. I can still use the Infuse everywhere I was using my iPhone in the house.

I can connect OK at McD and a few other places. But yes, I would agree the antenna is weaker.

In my house, router is in back of house, 2nd floor. I can connect OK in garage front of house.

tunie

Phhhhbbbbtttt
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
This is odd. For me, wifi issues started yesterday. All of a sudden, I can't get a signal in my home office, which has been working fine since I bought the phone a month ago. I wonder what changed?

leeshor

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
When was the last time you completely shut it down. Some times that's all it takes to refresh it. My WiFi is as good on the Infuse as it is on my Samsung Focus, my Transformer and my Lenovo laptop. OK, nearly as good.....

icermize

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
I should clarify that It's the inability of the Infuse to recognize a good signal which all other devices have no problem recognizing. I have not only re-started the phone, I have done a complete factory reset and twirled it around my head seven times. :)

shansmi

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site
How are you doing this test? I would suggest something to give you signal strength in dBm vs counting bars since there is no standard for the that.

Now one thing I have noticed on my inspire when in a weak cellular area is the notify on open wifi network feature can cause issues. I had a pickle of a time once shutting that feature off but things were good afterwards. Now I run with WiFi all the time without that feature and have not had an issue since.

That brings up some interesting questions? What router? Latest load? What security? What band and have you tried a different channel?

Last edited:

GivenToFly

Dec 30, 2009
www.apexautosound.com
I think the Infuse definately has a weak WiFi antenna. When I visit my in-laws, I run into a similar situation. The guest bedroom we stay in is all the way on the opposite side of the house from the router. My laptop and my Droid X show fulls strength, my wife's Fascinate shows over half strength, but my Infuse only shows the one little dot that it's connected, but not enough for data. My Blackberry worked fine there too. Not a huge deal for me as I'm not there often, but still shows that the Infuse has a weaker WiFi antenna. The Infuse is my work phone, so I just don't do any work while I'm there, Problem solved :p

tunie

Phhhhbbbbtttt
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
I've reset my phone several times over the last month. It doesn't make any sense to me that, it's been working fine for 3 weeks and then all of a sudden, I started having connection problems. I haven't changed anything here or downloaded anything in the last two days when this started.

Maybe it's just interference.

sphinx23

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
This is an issue with samsung,for some reason,there antennas aren't that great.I too have done an experiment with many other phones and other samsung models to find out that it wasn't just happening to me but also with other samsung users.

Samuri65

May 31, 2011
Visit site
I know this is changing the subject... but has anyone been having any connection issues with the Infuse GPS? Even been using the GPS Test app, and it sees the satellites, just doesn't seem to connect to them well.

Thanks!

aapold

May 15, 2011
Visit site
My wifi always works once I get the connection. But it never re-establishes itself on its own. Even if I step outside a short distance and come back. Every time I must turn off wifi, then turn it back on, then it will reconnect.

My GPS in general was great until about two weeks ago. Since then I've had trouble getting a fix (and also tried that GPS test app). I have have ten satellites visible but none of them strong enough. Not sure what happened, previously it was always like an instant fix.

rupst2

Jul 24, 2011
Visit site
Yes the infuse has wifi issues. Weak signal and more times than not it doesn't find and auto connection to any networks without turning the wifi on and off.

aapold

May 15, 2011
Visit site
I know this seems more hardware but I still hold out hope that this will improve with the official gingerbread update for the infuse....

which I note AT&T has failed to get out by the end of this month (just checked again today).

ateebtk

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
Yes the infuse has wifi issues. Weak signal and more times than not it doesn't find and auto connection to any networks without turning the wifi on and off.

I agree this is very annoying especially when you are relying on Wifi vs your data plan. Is there a workaround for manually turning ON and OFF the wifi button?

ATK

AsILayDying

Nov 21, 2011
Visit site
So Im wondering if I have a BAD Phone or if this phone just sucks. I have not been able to connect to WIFI period. Stuck on "Obtaining IP Address......" and then disconnects and retrys to the same effect. Wondering if switching from an Iphone to the Android was worth it..... right now it seems like a bad choice.

AsILayDying

Nov 21, 2011
Visit site
Definitely it sounds like a defective model. They can definitely connect.

Ok so I was able to finally connect to WiFi by editing the ip adress, subnet, gateway...etc in advanced settings. It connects now but still does not work. It will not tranfer data, will not download, will not access Market App, Im really stuck on why this phone will not work. I have tried all the "soft reset" "Factory Reset" and all the other options people have tried and still nothing. but yet my iphone and ipad connect to every wifi spot flawless.