WiFi Inconsistencies

mchockeyvette27

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
Running into a wifi issue where, when connected to a network, it will first be very slow, then after turning off then back on, it will go back to regular speeds. I notice this most on my home network, but that might be because I'm paying more attention.

I've reset my home router and didn't change. My other devices aren't having these issues. See screenshots for the drastic differences before toggling wifi off and on.

Anyone else experiencing this?

Attachments

• 3351.jpg
    3351.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 49

PGrey

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
Is it always the same server (this can make a BIG difference, particularly if you get a server that's distant/bogged-down)?
A local (LAN) test is more reliable in this way (still WiFi, but not WAN), but you have to set up both sides of the "pipe".

I was seeing some slowness (not as pronounced as yours, but significant), but 5.1.7 seems to have pretty leveled it out, for me anyway, I can consistently get about 120-150, both ways, which is good enough for a phone, IMHO.

mchockeyvette27

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
Is it always the same server (this can make a BIG difference, particularly if you get a server that's distant/bogged-down)?
A local (LAN) test is more reliable in this way (still WiFi, but not WAN), but you have to set up both sides of the "pipe".

I was seeing some slowness (not as pronounced as yours, but significant), but 5.1.7 seems to have pretty leveled it out, for me anyway, I can consistently get about 120-150, both ways, which is good enough for a phone, IMHO.

When you say server, do you mean same router/source of internet? Because all my other devices, including pixel 2, are getting the same wifi speeds as intended.

PGrey

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
When you say server, do you mean same router/source of internet? Because all my other devices, including pixel 2, are getting the same wifi speeds as intended.

Yes, the same server. Speedtest.com has a LOT of servers, even local in some cases (there are >10 in my area), and some are MUCH faster than the others.

Are you positive you got an *exact* match on the server(s), between runs/devices?

For example, one of my local servers will let me test out at about 60-ish, and another easily pushes my 210/150.
Doing a LAN (not outside of your local LAN) test instead is a LOT more reliable, it takes most of the latency issues out of the picture...

mchockeyvette27

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
Yes, the same server. Speedtest.com has a LOT of servers, even local in some cases (there are >10 in my area), and some are MUCH faster than the others.

Are you positive you got an *exact* match on the server(s), between runs/devices?

For example, one of my local servers will let me test out at about 60-ish, and another easily pushes my 210/150.
Doing a LAN (not outside of your local LAN) test instead is a LOT more reliable, it takes most of the latency issues out of the picture...

They might have been different servers on speedtest.net, but when it was the much slower speeds, anything that relied on the internet was slower. Even downloads from Google play were **** poor slow.

And then I would disconnect, redownload and it was back to normal speeds.

PGrey

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
You have to be pretty careful, about the "server selection", if you want an even close comparison and even then there are other "factors", such as where the server is (other traffic), how much load it has (other people testing) and more, I usually run a few times on the same server, if I want a more "normalized depiction" of the results.
Or I run a LAN test, to my server, that's close to 100% reliable, handier, but not as "real world"

I'd try resetting the network settings, which nukes all your cached WiFi values, including DNS and other artifacts that might be giving you grief.
I don't see this *exact* issue, but have a couple of other WiFi, a sound problem, and one charging issue with my OP6 (just the biggies, lots of small stuff), it's not exactly the "most stable" phone I've had; pretty close to as bad as Win10 phone builds were, at the lowest, or close.
I feel like I should've stuck with my 5T, but my wife's 6P was dying, she got the 5T, and I got, well...

My first OP6 is already winging its way back, it had some USB port issues: insanely varying charging values, you could almost throw a dart at the wall, as to whether or not it would charge (at all), or how fast (amps), or ...

I've now sent OP 3 sets of full Android logs, per request from OP, for three big repro issues in a couple of weeks. In my 5T timeframe, I had one of these (that was serious enough to warrant a bug, and repro/logs to OP).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abdul Ali