Wifi is not connecting automatically on S5. I need to manually connect to wifi every time

R93LFC

May 21, 2014
Visit site
Is it activated to always or only when plugged in? I'll post a full list of the settings I have which has sorted this issue. If they don't woek for you then I'd recommend a new modem

R93LFC

May 21, 2014
Visit site
Hi, I'm still having the same problems. When I forget the network it works again for a few days but then I get the dreaded 'sign in required'.

Im almost 100% sure its a modem problem. It connects to my mum's modem with no problems. I borrowed my mum's old modem and it was fine, it connected with no issues with the samsung although it kept kicking my idevices off and required them to sign in!

So I think a new modem is in order, hopefully it will help with dropouts to as we have way over 20 dropouts a day (telstra)

Oh and I have the keep wifi on during sleep activated.

The list of Advanced settings you need to check are the following 3:

Keep WiFi on during sleep = Always

Always allow scanning = Ticked

WiFi Timer = Ensure no times are set and it can always connect

geoffr86

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
I had this problem when I first got my S5. it was noticeable because my S4 never had an issue automatically connecting to Wifi.

it turned out to be a problem with my router as BT came and changed it to fix an unrelated issue with my broadband, and hey presto, my S5 has automatically connected perfectly since.

worth checking your router if possible.

R93LFC

May 21, 2014
Visit site
I had this problem when I first got my S5. it was noticeable because my S4 never had an issue automatically connecting to Wifi.

it turned out to be a problem with my router as BT came and changed it to fix an unrelated issue with my broadband, and hey presto, my S5 has automatically connected perfectly since.

worth checking your router if possible.

Sounds like it will be the modem then. I did have the issue until I configured the above settings

colin95xp

May 9, 2014
Visit site
A little update of my findings on this problem.

I regularly connect to 2 modems, home and work. They both connect automatically with no problem except after restarting the work one (a fairly new BT modem). It needs a restart for an unrelated printer problem and the restart triggers in the need to manually connect the S5. It's as simple as selecting the router and clicking on connect in settings. Other phones in the office do not have this issue, just the S5.

I don't yet know if the same issue will apply to the home modem as I've yet to try a restart of it.

R93LFC

May 21, 2014
Visit site
My settings look like this. After configuring it I've had no problems connecting to 10 different connections in 10 locations.

Posted via Android Central App

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-06-06-13-53-16.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-06-06-13-53-16.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 37

jstoddard365

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
This is not a specific router version and there is nothing you can do on the advanced setttings to fix this. Possibly a channel issue thought I think this is a bug with the S5.

Lefteris S5

Jul 11, 2014
Visit site
This worked for me thanks.

For the record my home wifi would connect automatically but my work one would need to manually connect simply by tapping 'connect' on the router name as per the original post.

The solution of forgetting the network worked for me also!
Glad I did not have to change phones....

nlatham

Jul 12, 2014
Visit site
I have a WiFi lock. It automatically starts my WiFi as soon as I'm in range of it. I love it. I used to have to keep resigning into my WiFi it never remembered my password but my WiFi app (advanced wifi) is amazing I never have that problem anymore.

Dilip_Mallik

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
Hi,

This method solved my problem , I had issue where I have to manually sign in in my office network even though no password was required.

Thanks buddy for giving this tip.

delzoon

Sep 14, 2014
Visit site
Hello - I'm having the same problem with my Galaxy S5. Just got the phone about two weeks ago. None of the recommendations here have worked yet. I wonder if this has something to do with the fact that I turned off network broadcast to increase the security of my network. In other words, the name of my network is not broadcast, so it is not found when a mobile phone scans available networks. You have to type the name of my network in, and then the password.

Other folks having problems: is the name of your network being broadcast?

Thanks.

R93LFC

May 21, 2014
Visit site
Hello - I'm having the same problem with my Galaxy S5. Just got the phone about two weeks ago. None of the recommendations here have worked yet. I wonder if this has something to do with the fact that I turned off network broadcast to increase the security of my network. In other words, the name of my network is not broadcast, so it is not found when a mobile phone scans available networks. You have to type the name of my network in, and then the password.

Other folks having problems: is the name of your network being broadcast?

Thanks.

This shouldn't be an issue. I have the same setup

Northern.dj

Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
OMG ARRRRRRRRR
ITS NOT YOUR PHONE THAT IS THE PROBLEM
The problem is your Router any Netgear bassed router will not work as they don't support it on there basic range
any Firmware bassed router will work
Its all about Handshack when you come in range your phone pics up your router and says Hello
Your router should then say welcome back
I have a Asus Dark Night and works you will find that ISP Routers suck so get a stand alone router

ryetronics

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
I am also having this same problem with a 1-day old Samsung Galaxy S5. Any phone settings from this thread have not worked for me.

One thing to note is when I turn off Mobile Data (Settings-More Networks-Mobile Networks-Mobile Data) the Wifi turns right on. When I re-enable Mobile Data, wifi turns back off.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hooded88