Will google really wait till October 2018 to replace the screen?

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
osubeavs728;612 a0775 said:
While Google certainly doesn't mind eating money on bad investments, they gave LG almost $1B to help advance the development of their display tech. So, I doubt they would jump ship to a different tech/manufacturer after 1 generation.

Personally, I'm eager for LG highly improve their mobile displays (even though I also enjoy Samsung having Apple in a stranglehold), so I'm hoping that investment will indeed speed things up.

Yeah I'm fairly certain that Google will continue to use LG's OLED displays next year, what I'm not confident in is LG drastically improving their screen tech by next year. It took Samsung years to get their screens where they are now, and the LG OLED to me looks like what the Samsung Galaxy S4 displays were like with those issues. So I'm not really keen on having a 3 or so year wait for LG's screen tech to be equivalent to Samsung's 2017 screens. Maybe LG can speed up the quality improvements.

Guess we'll see how much it's improved (if at all) with the LG G7 and the LG V40 prior to the Pixel 3 release.

Honestly, I'd rather they use a 120hz LCD display like on the Razer phone. That screen looks amazing.

Last edited:

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
While Google certainly doesn't mind eating money on bad investments, they gave LG almost $1B to help advance the development of their display tech. So, I doubt they would jump ship to a different tech/manufacturer after 1 generation.

Personally, I'm eager for LG highly improve their mobile displays (even though I also enjoy Samsung having Apple in a stranglehold), so I'm hoping that investment will indeed speed things up.

Agreed. They, along with Apple and their $3B investment in LG, didn't just give them the money for fun.

ScottsoNJ

Jan 29, 2012
Visit site
The complaints about the screen are nonsense. I don't notice a blue shift at all. The color balance has been addressed in 8.1. When I put the 2XL next to my old Nexus 6P I barely see any difference, if anything I prefer the 2XL. Everything else about the phone is great. The camera is as good as everyone says, it's performance is as fast as you could hope for.

To you. To other people it is a big deal. Just because people say it's not a big deal to them doesn't make it go away. If I spent $1000 on a phone and had a problem it would still be a problem even if people on here didn't think so.

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
I noticed off-axis blue shifting on my iPhone X and my Samsung Galaxy S8 Active. It's a thing with OLED displays. There's no reason for Google to replace all the screens because of that common issue.

osubeavs728

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
To you. To other people it is a big deal. Just because people say it's not a big deal to them doesn't make it go away. If I spent $1000 on a phone and had a problem it would still be a problem even if people on here didn't think so.

Then don't spend money on it in the first place. Problem solved!

AustinTech

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
It's a non-issue to 99.9% of the people who own a Pixel 2 XL. So no, they won't be revamping the design and components after only a couple months.

How could you possibly know that? You couldn't. How many people have you polled? How many people didn't buy the phone after seeing it on display? How many returned the device? Stop speaking out your arse. It does nobody any good.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
How could you possibly know that? You couldn't. How many people have you polled? How many people didn't buy the phone after seeing it on display? How many returned the device? Stop speaking out your arse. It does nobody any good.
Think he is mainly saying if it was an issue they'd return it.. as many have since they don't like it.

AustinTech

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
This screen will remain with the Pixel 2 XL's.

What will be interesting is what Google will do next year with the Pixel 3. We don't know how much LG's OLED screen tech will have improved in a years time, and if it hasn't improved much, will Google stick with the LG OLED screens or will they go to Samsung's AMOLED or to an LCD screen?

Overblown or not, the Pixel 2 XL has been hit hard with the reports of screen issues:

- Blue tint when viewed even slightly off angle
- Burn in after only a short time
- Grain/dirty/textured screen
- Black crush
- Black smear at low brightness

I think that covers everything. And that's just the screen alone - it has had a plethora of other issues by related to the screen. In 2017, that's really not a greatpanel, and while a lot of those things may not affect people on a day to day basis, if you're paying top dollar for a phone, you should expect a top of the line screen.

I personally would have no issue if Google went to an LCD display next year if LG's panels still aren't up to par. Or go to Samsung's of they're not too busy making screens for their S9/S9+/Note9 and the new iPhone screens.

I certainly hope Google won't have a repeat of the issues next year. They don't want the Pixel brand associated with poor displays.

You forgot the biggest issue. The colors are wrong. Not off a little bit, they are 100% wrong. SRGB my ***. I have calibrated screens at work, certified every 6 months, and when I hold the phone up to those screens and compare colors, they are wrong on the 2 XL. They don't even come close to matching, none of them. The screen is crap.

pankaj981

May 5, 2013
Visit site
I noticed off-axis blue shifting on my iPhone X and my Samsung Galaxy S8 Active. It's a thing with OLED displays. There's no reason for Google to replace all the screens because of that common issue.
Not a common issue, at least not on the S7, S8 or Note 8. Neither on the Motos. If it's an issue, don't shrug it off. The more people complain, the more it'll push Google to act. That's why you see most reviewers not refraining from complaining. Obviously you give credit where it's due...like the camera tech or clean software experience.

I have used only Samsung phones for the most part (Nexus 6P for 6 months) since I switched to Android a couple of years ago but I want Google to fix it so at least some of us have options

osubeavs728

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
You forgot the biggest issue. The colors are wrong. Not off a little bit, they are 100% wrong. SRGB my ***. I have calibrated screens at work, certified every 6 months, and when I hold the phone up to those screens and compare colors, they are wrong on the 2 XL. They don't even come close to matching, none of them. The screen is crap.

It's amazing you feel so passionately about something so frivolous.

pankaj981

May 5, 2013
Visit site
It's amazing you feel so passionately about something so frivolous.
Not sure but have you compared the colors to another phone side by side? The reds show orangish in almost all reviews I've seen so far. Is that true? The smaller Pixel 2 doesn't exhibit these issues, just the XL variant. The only other phone I owned earlier which had a similar issue was the Lumia 950 XL when compared to my Lumia 1520.

neil74

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
Why would they keep it if they hated it so much ..? That's kinda odd to me.

Depends what country you are in. In the uk for example not everywhere will let you return something you have used because ‘you don’t like it’. Carphone Warehouseexpress are the main high street stockist in the uk and no way you could say return this thing after 10 days of use unless you could prove a fault.

RoyalBoyle14

Dec 29, 2017
Visit site
agreed, and Man the Blue Tint is really not an issue. I still don't get the talk about the display on my pixel 2 XL, I think the screen looks beautiful.

mikef91

Trusted Member
Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
People have to stop already with the screen complaining on the 2 XL. As another member said, it's a non-issue for 99.9% of users. My unit has no more of a blue tint on shift than my Galaxy S8. I never look at the screen on an angle anyway - I'm always holding it up in front of me. If you're not happy with the screen, return the device and try another, or get another brand phone entirely.

osubeavs728

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
Not sure but have you compared the colors to another phone side by side? The reds show orangish in almost all reviews I've seen so far. Is that true? The smaller Pixel 2 doesn't exhibit these issues, just the XL variant. The only other phone I owned earlier which had a similar issue was the Lumia 950 XL when compared to my Lumia 1520.

I have, I've compared it next to my XL1; which has slightly different colors than my iPad, which has slightly different colors than my 4k tv, which has slightly different colors than my 1080p tv, which has slightly different colors than my LG Watch Sport.

But, to directly answer your question, I have my phone set on "boosted" and the reds look red to me.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ron1morgan