Will Nexus 6P get Google Assistant?

Cant Miss

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
It is similar... but we'll have to see just how much of it is built into the Pixels. If it ain't in AOSP, and not available in a Google app upgrade, we may not see it coming to Nexus phones. The new launcher isn't (at least for the foreseeable future).

osubeavs728

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
If other phones get it, it'll probably be a gimped version.

Assistant is one of the Pixel's main differentiators, so to make it fully available to other phones, would diminish its value.

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
If other phones get it, it'll probably be a gimped version.

Assistant is one of the Pixel's main differentiators, so to make it fully available to other phones, would diminish its value.

It would be disappointing if Google didn't continue with its current strategy of putting its services on all platforms -- especially their own damn Nexus phones. Imagine if Assistant worked better on iOS than Siri does.

pbike908

Mar 16, 2015
Visit site
Since Google's mission in life is to collect data and sell advertising/search, one would think Google Assistant will either be baked into 7.1 and available to all manufacturers. I can't see anyone purchasing a smartphone for a voice assistant...

pheatton

Mar 30, 2010
Visit site
Funny thing is...I really dont care it the 6P gets it or not. I very rarely use Google Search etc by talking to it so this would be something I would not use very often.

pbike908

Mar 16, 2015
Visit site
i am betting it will stay a Pixel exclusive to help drive sales

I can't imagine that many REAL WORLD users would pay a premium price for a voice assistant. I have never heard anyone say, "I bought an Iphone because of Siri."

The only way this Google Assistant has a chance is if it's on nearly every device imaginable. Google has already said they are going to open it to 3rd party apps such as Spotify. What good is opening it up if it's limited to Google Pixel.

Once they work the kinks out, one can almost rest assured all manufacturers will have access to it.

Google never misses and opportunity to bash the "closed end" nature of the Apple ecosystem...

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
I can't imagine that many REAL WORLD users would pay a premium price for a voice assistant. I have never heard anyone say, "I bought an Iphone because of Siri."

Im not saying people would pay a premium for Google Assistant, i mean I know i DEFINITELY wouldnt...BUT with that said its still a "feature" that could "only be available on Pixel". The premium price also warrants awesome specs and the apparently best camera ever.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site

The only way this Google Assistant has a chance is if it's on nearly every device imaginable. Google has already said they are going to open it to 3rd party apps such as Spotify. What good is opening it up if it's limited to Google Pixel.

Once they work the kinks out, one can almost rest assured all manufacturers will have access to it.

Google never misses and opportunity to bash the "closed end" nature of the Apple ecosystem...

Actually, I think a significant percentage of first-time and repeat iPhone buyers bought in just to get Siri...

Amit Kawale

Feb 28, 2014
Visit site
Since Google's mission in life is to collect data and sell advertising/search, one would think Google Assistant will either be baked into 7.1 and available to all manufacturers. I can't see anyone purchasing a smartphone for a voice assistant...

You made the point here....no point tieing it with pixel devices only...

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site

There are a huge number of people in this world longing for the day that they will be able to walk up to a wall's built-in device, say, "Tea, Earl Grey, Hot" and have it magically appear before their eyes. To the extent that Google Voice Assistant gets them just a few hours closer to that day, they will buy in...

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
6P will get as much of Google Assistant that doesn't require some sort of hardware dependant function (akin to the real-time HDR+ processing in the Pixel). Google Now and On Tap will get deprecated and those features will be replaced with GA.... as is... the beta Google app channel already sees Now and On Tap branding and terminology being replaced with the Google Assistant terminology. If Google Assistant was going to be Pixel-only, those beta users wouldn't be seeing that change already.

When 7.1 goes final, 6P and 5X users won't have Now or On Tap anymore, they'll have Google Assistant in those roles. What remains to be seen is what the Pixel has beyond those features, or enhanced versions of those features. But this won't be a Pixel-only feature that no other phones will get.

sstephen17

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
Actually, I think a significant percentage of first-time and repeat iPhone buyers bought in just to get Siri...

I live in the Los Angeles area. I'd say 90% of my circle of friends have iPhones and have had them for several years. Most of them don't even use Siri. The biggest draws for them are iMessage and FaceTime.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I live in the Los Angeles area. I'd say 90% of my circle of friends have iPhones and have had them for several years. Most of them don't even use Siri. The biggest draws for them are iMessage and FaceTime.

I have no doubt that a huge number of people played with Siri for days or weeks, grew tired of it, and never bothered again.

As for me, I don't mind "talking to my phone" when it is against my ear and I am having a conversation with another human being. However, talking to my phone in any other manner (OK Google, do this or find that) still strikes me as a bit odd and, not only do I refuse to do so in public, but I even feel stupid doing it when I am all alone in an otherwise empty house.

Markxmlx

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
Google Assistant was shown on I/O and there was no mention of exclusivity on certain devices so I imagine that the Nexus phones will get it at the very least. This is like updating Siri on the iPhone 7 and not letting the older iPhones use it. Doesn't make sense since Google is in a constant need to improve its AI with machine learning.

Robisan

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site
Nope we got bent over. Nexus is Google's red-headed step child now.

Yup. I blame lying liar Rick Osterloh, who has left a trail of customers holding his broken promises from everywhere he's been. With Osterloh in charge I hope Pixel crashes and burns. Buyer beware.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
menblattcard