will people really shell out almost $1,000 for a Pixel XL with 128gb? ($947 after tax)

raqball

Trusted Member
Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
Re: will people really shell out $869 for a Pixel XL with 128gb?

iPhones have really good resale value...

I don't see iPhone as having great resale.. Right now there are a TON of 6S for sale dirt cheap.. They hold value when they are the current model but once Apple drops the next version resale tanks! I just looked on my local craigslist and iPhone 6S are going for $300-$350 for 16gb and $350-400 for 64GB...

atlas9171

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site

People will pay it, it probably won't be a lot of people though. If I were in the market for a phone I'd consider it but doubt I would pull the trigger.

projektorboy

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site

I take issue with Google pricing the Pixel XL right in line with the iPhone 7 Plus. They seriously went dollar-for-dollar in pricing it with Apple. They figure they can deliver an Apple-esque experience via Android with the phone, so they're going to charge an Apple-like price.

Unfortunately Google's brand as a cell phone maker doesn't have the same marketing clout as Apple. Only Samsung can get away with absurd device prices (but maybe not so much anymore thanks to recent scandals).

So the Pixels may have the best version of Android. The best camera on Android. But they didn't bother to make it water-resistant like an iPhone, or have legitimate OIS built into their cameras. Some aspects of the Pixel phone are suspect enough to not make it feel like it's worth $649/769. Hopefully there are enough die-hards out there who are willing to make this phone a success.

raqball

Trusted Member
Oct 31, 2014
Visit site

I take issue with Google pricing the Pixel XL right in line with the iPhone 7 Plus. They seriously went dollar-for-dollar in pricing it with Apple. They figure they can deliver an Apple-esque experience via Android with the phone, so they're going to charge an Apple-like price.

Unfortunately Google's brand as a cell phone maker doesn't have the same marketing clout as Apple. Only Samsung can get away with absurd device prices (but maybe not so much anymore thanks to recent scandals).

So the Pixels may have the best version of Android. The best camera on Android. But they didn't bother to make it water-resistant like an iPhone, or have legitimate OIS built into their cameras. Some aspects of the Pixel phone are suspect enough to not make it feel like it's worth $649/769. Hopefully there are enough die-hards out there who are willing to make this phone a success.

The price is a tad bit high in my opinion but not that far out of whack to make me pass on it..

Until I hold it in hand and use it I can't really comment but I would have liked it to have been about $50-$75 less than what they are..

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site

I think I'll wait for it to go on sale or get me a 6P until the price really drops this time next year. My OnePlus One does just about everything I need it to for now. I could really use the better camera though for family and vacation pics.

pr627

Nov 1, 2015
Visit site

People will buy this and its their money so I will not try and rain on their parade but I do NOT think I want to spend $800-900 for a new phone. I will likely stick with my 6P for now

AllBlaxx

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site

The Pixel starts at $899 in Canada, $1049 for the XL so I'm just gonna grab it from Rogers and hope it doesn't have any bloatware on it. Even if it does, I can't bring myself to drop $1179 for the 128GB XL that I want.

ShipyStyle

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site

I must say I was really surprised by the high prices. One thing I always liked about Google phones is the fact that they were high-end devices but still priced a bit lower then other high-end devices.

Alexander Phoenix

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site

Decent specs, boring design at iPhone prices in a world where midrangers are basically just as good as flagship for a third of the price? No thank you, I'd rather buy something like the oneplus 3 or the Nexus 5X so I can actually have fun with them and not break the bank in the process!

arima0k

Oct 4, 2016
Visit site

I think the price exceeds a little, the nexus have never been very expensive

LailaAK

Oct 16, 2015
Visit site

if Project Fi throws in a $200 discount with activation,
it will be a great buy at $449.(for the 32gb version).

Bryant Patterson

Jun 20, 2013
Visit site

I'd say that it's far from trash. The inclusion of Daydream VR is one improvement, and in addition to that, it has a better camera. The unlimited storage for Google Photos is another thing, but it's more of a gift than a feature.

The phone just seems to be a disappointment because everyone expects so much more from Google. The phone just seems incredibly bland, that's my main complaint. I would be willing to spend the money on the phone if I held it in my hand and found that I liked it, but just from seeing it, I'd avoid the phone

Croak

May 8, 2010
Visit site

I'm likely gonna shell out seven fiddy or so for the 5" model with 128gb. Reminds me an awful lot of one of my favorite phones for holding, the HTC One X, with a dash of One M7 thrown in. Works for me. FYI, I bought my One X in London, UK on a trip there (on Galaxy S3 announce day, no less), and paid what amounted to $720 for it. And my One M7 cost me about the same in Vancouver, BC a bit over a year later. Neither one had MicroSD, both were only 32gb internal storage.

XIPoSeID

Oct 4, 2016
Visit site

I was really looking forward to the new Pixel phones but the design and especially the price really turned myself away from them.
They should have gone for one lower premium but cheaper phone and one premium and more expensive phone so both types of users could be satisfied.

Especially in Germany the prices are way higher than I would ever pay for a phone even if there are some things that are very appealing like the camera.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FABETTTTT