Will Sprint Get it Right with the OneX?

P_M_G

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
Maybe this should have a poll but here's where I'm coming from.

Since Sprint got the EVO the first "4G" phone it's had a sad (IMHO) lineup of HTC products. The EVO certainly was badazz and I had one shortly after launch. The screen was huge and I loved to laugh at all the iPhonies with their teeny screen and non-removable battery...And I lived through the horrid battery, limited onboard memory, feeble RAM and less than stellar camera and started becoming a flashaholic when I just got fed up with the bloat.

Then came the Shift - a poor imitation of the Epic 4g (no dedicated number row?? really??) - and while I personally know dozens with EVOs, I know no one with a Shft.

Behold the 3D (my current phone) - but why a narrower screen than the EVO? Love the dual cores and the extended RAM and larger storage and higher resolution...oops we locked the bootloader on this one and hboot 1.5 means lots of hoops and less customization but I've managed to find a killer ROM to satisfy me now.

So the next big HTC release from Sprint is the...wait for it...is it the successor to the OG EVO combining the best of both the OG and the 3D???? No...it's the Design.

Meanwhile

TMobile - Amaze with 1.5GHz dual core
TMobile - Sensation with 8MP cam

Verizon - Thunderbolt with upgraded EVO specs for memory
Verizon - Rezound with 720p screen and 1.5GHz dual core and 16GB SD preinstalled

ATT - memory upgrade from the EVO as well
ATT - 4.5" qHD screen with upgraded camera...what the 3D should have been?

So I'm certainly hoping that the wimax folly and switch to LTE is what's been kililng Sprint's HTC offerings for so long...and that the upcoming announcement between Sprint and HTC is the beginning of bringing the killer phones back where they belong - to unlimited data on a (eventually) screaming fast LTE network.

tommydaniel

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Not every EVO that is released is supposed to be an upgrade from the one before. It's a series of devices, not just one phone. The EVO LTE is the successor to the original EVO.

P_M_G

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
there are many that will disagree saying that the 3D was the EVO successor on Sprint. My point is not that every phone released should be an upgrade, but that many phones released around the time of the 3D COULD have been the next gen EVO as technology evolved.

Wouldn't the Vivid with a 4.5" qHD screen and dual cores be a worthy successor to a single core 4.3" WVGA EVO? I for one would have loved that instead of the 3D (a gimmick add-on IMO).

The EVO was originally a Sprint Exclusive phone - (like the 3D IIRC) and it'd be nice to see another major drop like that, versus a re-hashed ATT OneX with a domestic chipset...

SERO wireless

Jan 2, 2012
Visit site
Sprint has limited resources. They choose their phones based on what sells and what will bring in new customers. The HTC Arrive hasn't sold well so you haven't seen another WinPhone. 40% or the iPhones sold are sold to new customers so the iPhone will be around for a while.

The two problems with a high-end HTC phone on Sprint are that Sprint already has a huge Apple phone bill so they don't have a lot of loose change for other phones and they have done very well with flagship phones from Samsung and Motorola. It's more likely that they would stick with what works and get a mid-level HTC phone than either replace Motorola or Samsung or add more flagship phones to their lineup.

PittsPgh

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
The narrower screen on the 3D is due to the screen ratio is kept at 16:9 like most (not all) movies, and your TV at home.

P_M_G

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
Sprint has limited resources. They choose their phones based on what sells and what will bring in new customers. The HTC Arrive hasn't sold well so you haven't seen another WinPhone. 40% or the iPhones sold are sold to new customers so the iPhone will be around for a while.

The two problems with a high-end HTC phone on Sprint are that Sprint already has a huge Apple phone bill so they don't have a lot of loose change for other phones and they have done very well with flagship phones from Samsung and Motorola. It's more likely that they would stick with what works and get a mid-level HTC phone than either replace Motorola or Samsung or add more flagship phones to their lineup.

You really consider the Photon a "flagship" phone? Isn't it essentially a revamped Atrix? 40% of new iPhones are sold to sheep who want to be with the cool kids....LOL. My daughter's friend got an iPhone and was yapping about how cool it was until my daughter pulled out her Epic4G (the original with slide-out kb)...and her friend was all up in a hizzy about how much bigger the screen was than her iphone. Winphones? Really?? I don't think I've ever met anyone with a Windows phone...ever.

What KEPT me with Sprint was the Evo...a true flagship phone. The OneX/Jet/EVOHDLTE or whatever they call it COULD be the phone to keep me around again, but I'm disappointed by the battery and it's lack of swapability.

SERO wireless

Jan 2, 2012
Visit site
For your safety, please do the following before reading below the line:

1) Make sure EMTs are present. At a minimum, two adults with valid Red Cross first-aid cards should be present.
2) Lie flat on your back on a soft, ground-level place with no obstructions close by.
3) Wear an adult diaper - you may lose bowel and/or bladder control.
4) Print a hard copy of this post and read it from the hard copy.

Lying down? Ready? Sure?

**************************************************************************************************************
Just a test, the next line is the real one!! Last chance!
**************************************************************************************************************

Some people don't use their phones to play games.

Listen to me. Do NOT go into the light. Stop where you are. Turn away from it. Don't even look at it.

It's not your time to go.

LIVE, damnit, LIVE!

The Photon is a business phone, NOT a gaming device. How many dual-core handsets did Sprint have 9 months ago? How many phones sell for $500+?

From an earlier post:
It was Motorola's first flagship phone on Sprint and Sprint's first high-end Android business phone. I suspect that there was some sense of urgency on Sprint's part to get a Blackberry alternative in their lineup because they settled for a reheated Atrix instead of a new design. Motorola delivered a top-notch device, but the business applications were a little discombobulated - not exactly an Apple user experience but forgivable for a first effort.

Dreamliner330

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
It was Motorola's first flagship phone on Sprint and Sprint's first high-end Android business phone. I suspect that there was some sense of urgency on Sprint's part to get a Blackberry alternative in their lineup because they settled for a reheated Atrix instead of a new design. Motorola delivered a top-notch device, but the business applications were a little discombobulated - not exactly an Apple user experience but forgivable for a first effort.
Agreed! I want a Droid MAXX equivalent on Sprint soooo bad (with a 720 screen, of course).