Will the bloatware be removable this time around?

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Samsung is known for including tons of bloatware in their phones. The GS4 had 16GB of internal storage, but only around 9.7 was actually available out of the box.
Most other Android phones only have around 4GB being taken up by the OS, not the 6+ that is seen with Samsung phones.
Most of it is probably due to TouchWiz
Will we see as much of it this time around? Or maybe even have it be removable if there is a lot of it? Seeing as Google is pushing Samsung to tone it down a notch with the whole TW features and UI

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running Slim Bean 4.3

dancing-bass

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
It's too soon to tell, really. Rumors are rumors until facts prove them to be either true or false.

Although there is hope that Google has convinced Sammy to tone things down with TouchWiz, so best-case scenario would be that it's coded better (less bloated), visually more in line with 4.4 KitKat, and all features/apps brought in by TouchWiz are easy to remove completely. The first 2 I'm feeling somewhat confident about, but to what degree remains to be seen. The least one? I doubt it will happen. Easily disabled, yes. completely removable? Probably not. And that doesn't include carrier-installed bloatware. *sigh*. Well, here's hoping anyway....

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
It's too soon to tell, really. Rumors are rumors until facts prove them to be either true or false.

Although there is hope that Google has convinced Sammy to tone things down with TouchWiz, so best-case scenario would be that it's coded better (less bloated), visually more in line with 4.4 KitKat, and all features/apps brought in by TouchWiz are easy to remove completely. The first 2 I'm feeling somewhat confident about, but to what degree remains to be seen. The least one? I doubt it will happen. Easily disabled, yes. completely removable? Probably not. And that doesn't include carrier-installed bloatware. *sigh*. Well, here's hoping anyway....

Yeah, the law that was passed in Korea doesn't apply here in the U.S. and I doubt it ever will :-\
At least we can hope it's easy to root and remove apps with TBP.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
We should push our cronies in D.C. to do something like S.Korea did with bloatware. Has to be someone there can is open to a "donation". Google should make it a requirement that the user should be able to remove any apps they want and the only way they can get them back once removed is to go to the carrier and have them flash them back. The bloatware that everyone hates from Samsung is their in house apps that hopefully will be curtailed in the S5 but more likely the GN4 and beyond. I just want the carrier crap removed if nothing else.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
We should push our cronies in D.C. to do something like S.Korea did with bloatware. Has to be someone there can is open to a "donation". Google should make it a requirement that the user should be able to remove any apps they want and the only way they can get them back once removed is to go to the carrier and have them flash them back. The bloatware that everyone hates from Samsung is their in house apps that hopefully will be curtailed in the S5 but more likely the GN4 and beyond. I just want the carrier crap removed if nothing else.

That would be too much of a hassle. Just make it s thing where flashing stock firmware returns you the original state, and therefore brings back the system apps. No need to make people go to Verizon or T-Mo every time they delete an app

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Aside from crucial system apps, I think anything that can be deleted that doesn't hinder the performance of the phone should be able to be deleted. I don't use Y! Finance, and never will. I don't need it to stay on my phone unless I root. I would like to take whoever thought this was a good idea and tell them they HAVE to haul 8 bags of cement in their car at all times.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
For me I would like to remove the apps I simply don't want or need but it will never happen. The OEM's do not make the decisions on what goes onto the device the US Carriers do (for our market) so we have zero say, zero control and the chances of rooting and get around the bootloader are about zero.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
For me I would like to remove the apps I simply don't want or need but it will never happen. The OEM's do not make the decisions on what goes onto the device the US Carriers do (for our market) so we have zero say, zero control and the chances of rooting and get around the bootloader are about zero.

The OEMs could prohibit the carriers from adding any bloatware (Apple and Google did) but they choose not to.
I'm sure there'll be a way to root these phones, but getting around the bootloader might be an issue with Knox...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bradypsnyder