Will we ever be Able to put Apps on sd Card?also what's ur opinion??

opus33065

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
And if you do the research, anything that came natively with ics or above DOES NOT HAVE THE ABILITY. It's a mute point right now, just people wanting to argue. Even so, on my g1, without downloading extra crap, I could not put apps on the sd card. I made use with what space I had. If I needed space for something, I deleted something else.

Perhaps you can explain why my kids Kyocera Rise, My HTC One V and the Kyocera Event can all move "non-system" apps to SD? All three of these phones were shipped to me with native ICS installed. If you read reviews on the Kyocera Rise and HTC One V, they are listed as ICS class phones, not earlier phones that have been updated to ICS.

This is not an issue with ICS, this is an issue with the major players with high end phones trying to differentiate their high end phones from their entry level models.

Kyocera doesn't make what would be considered a high end phone, so It is not crippling their phones.

HTC is taking a different path, it removes the SD card all together just released the new HTC "ONE" without a SD card. Their phones come with 32GB and 64GB built in. Their earlier models such as the One V, One VX One X, etc... all could move to SD.

Samsung, LG do not want users to buy lower versions of their phones and have similar (albeit slower) capabilities of their flagship models. If I disable the ability to move to SD, then I can offer a higher tier phone with more RAM as a way to differentiate between the models.

VillaRegina

Apr 19, 2013
Visit site
I have a Samsung Galaxy Note 2 and I am a newbie to all this... all I can say is that I bought a Samsung 64G sdcard for $75 because I was under the impression that I would be able to store all my "stuff" on the card which would make it easier to have all my "stuff" transferred to a phone in the case of a defective phone or a factory reboot... I am now learning that apps cannot be stored on the sdcard... I have a question about downloads... if I download a movie can it be stored on the sdcard??? I have this question because I am trying to move some pictures which were texted to me... when I saved them to the phone they automatically went to a folder in my Gallery called downloads... even though I have tried the My Files app it does not seem that these specific pictures are moving over to my sdcard... SdCard0 vs extSdCard... is it because all downloads will not be able to be saved to the card??? Hence, my original question about a downloaded movie... I am also wondering if the Calendar can be saved on the card??? Can you tell I am a total newbie??? I just feel like I have been ripped off because I assumed I would have every opportunity to use this massive sdcard I bought... I don't know who's fault it is but I am bummed...

GMJeff

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Yes, most media can be saved to the sd card. Some types of media that have not been purchased may not be able to, as to a possible piracy issue.

So say you pay for a streaming video service, all data will be stored on internal memory. If you purchase a video individually, like a feature movie from Amazon, you would be able to put it on the sd card as you own the video.

Music is the same way. Apps that stream and use proprietary file types will only store to the device, but purchased mp3s will transfer to the sd card without issue.

Same goes for books and such.

It's not wrong to fondle the s pen.

VillaRegina

Apr 19, 2013
Visit site
Thanks Jevangil... I have figured out how to move my downloaded photos to the extSdCard... I had not moved the actual downloads folder to the card... now they are on it and I think all future texted photos that I save will go directly to the card since I moved the folder??? I hope so... Varacca, the best information I found on your question was here:

Regarding moving your existing photos to the micro SD card, try this, after you have installed the micro SD card in your phone:

1. Touch the "Apps" icon at the bottom right corner of your screen

2. Find and open the My Files app

3. Touch "All Files" and the screen should then show two entries: "extSdCard" is the micro SD card that you have added, and "sdcard0" is the internal storage of the phone.

4. Touch "sdcard0," then put a check in the box next to the "Pictures" folder

5. In the upper right corner there should now be an icon with three horizontal lines and a small downward pointing triangle. Touch that and then select "Move"

6. A screen comes up like in step 4. This time touch "extSdCard", then in the upper right corner touch "Move here."

It turns out that my downloaded texted pictures were in a folder called downloads... I had to move that folder, too... and I also figured out how to move the burst pictures from the camera folder onto the card... the camera has to put the burst pictures on the internal sdcard first, then you go to the gallery and select all the pictures and in the Settings there is an option to Move them and you just put them in your extSdCard Pictures folder... I am figuring that once I try a downloaded movie that I purchase I will do all the above again for the folder it is in. I am still bummed that I bought a $75 64G sdcard for no good reason because I wanted to download apps on it for the convenience of being able to replace a defective or broken phone very easily... still a newbie...
oh, I also figured out to download the official Google calendar app and use that to sync to my Google calendar so I never lose anything... so I am learning slowly... still a newbie...

RichardAHill

May 6, 2013
Visit site
Any one of a dozen apps can be loaded on your Android and PC to lift music and photos off of sdcard0.
<rant on> Piracy is NOT and should not be an issue here. Copies of digital media can easily be moved. I have a Linux app that will rebuild an HD video and download to my Note, or lift an HD video from my note and modify it for DivX, WMP, etc use. I buy media and I watch/listen were I want to. If "Piracy" is what is driving O/S developers then I'm going to start looking at Ubuntu for my Note. An O/S should be built for efficiency, speed, and processing power the <censored> RIAA and other asshat agencies should have NO part in OS development. <rant off>

So .. back to constructive comments - I can move data from internal to external storage but I cannot LINK it to the app or index or playlist, and cannot shortcut it to the screen
That needs to be fixed. I have an htc EVO 4G that I LOVED except it was slow and had insufficient memory. I would have been very happy with the same damn phone on 2.3.5 with a quad processor, 16G / 2G internal and 64G SD card support. What I have now is possibly the best hardware I have ever used (Note II) with a crappy CRAPPY O/S and Rom-based feature limits.
rafaelluik has it right. Reintroduce the feature set in 4.1 and leave it there. Make it a settings option that requires a reset. Make it require a rebuild - just backup and go .
I'll grab it in a shot.

RichardAHill

May 6, 2013
Visit site
Just got a beta of foldermount from a friend - he has a Note II as well and claims that by "mounting" his external SD card 'Into" internal memory, which is what the app does, he can get around all three of my peeves: - use external SD card for apps and/or data; have folder-schemas that are browse-able with the native file manager, and the ability to make a shortcut out of any file or folder. Will try this over the weekend and see how much beer vs froth was in his cup. If it works, I may have to reinstall a bunch apps - no big deal, and the obvious 'don't install system apps or separate apps from data" will of course apply. So will unmounting the sd card prior to swap out.
.....Will report back as to its use