Worry about Screen Burn-In with AOD?

CincyGuy

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
What are people doing with the AOD? I like it, even though it probably burns thru the battery quicker. However I noticed the ability to activate a screen saver, with my choices being colors, flipboard, photo table, photo frame, or photos. I really don't want my photos flashing across the screen, or flipboard stories (sometimes some weird stuff shows up on FB). I even find the psychedelic color display to be a bit distracting.

I assume this feature is to prevent burn-in of the standard AOD date/time stuff? Is this a problem with Samsung displays? I would rather just turn off AOD then have one of these screen savers (or burn-in).

zigaliro

Mar 12, 2017
Visit site
But I did hear that the little home button on AOD display does not move. Not sure if this is true. Make sure to at least disable home button being visible while on AOD display if you are really worried about screen burn in. There is an option in the settings.

bandofbrothers2112

Trusted Member
May 30, 2016
Visit site
But I did hear that the little home button on AOD display does not move. Not sure if this is true. Make sure to at least disable home button being visible while on AOD display if you are really worried about screen burn in. There is an option in the settings.

I've used AOD on my s7 edge with no issues.

Top tip Regarding the Home Button being always lit and that a person can go into settings and choose AOD and Notifications so the Home Button isn't lit up.

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
The possibility of burn in on the home button is real, I mean, those pixels are turned on for hours and it's not moving, that on an AMOLED screen is a real concern, so, first thing I did when I decided to use AOD this time was to change the setting so it doesn't show the home button anymore, I mean it's still there and you can press it and it works, so I really don't need to see it all the time.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
In AOD settings, in Content to Show, select Clock or Information. This will prevent the Onscreen Home button from being displayed. The rest of the AOD should behave as expected. I normally keep smartphones about a year to a year and a half. Burn in has never been an issue. Obviously, results vary according to individual set ups and habits.

dov1978

Trusted Member
Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
The Home button doesn't need to move (location). The pixels only need to alternate. The Home button will still look exactly as is but the pixels that light it turn off and ones that were off light up instead. It all happens without being noticeable. I know I'm not explaining it very well but it's been used for years and has the same effect on preventing screen burn in as moving things around the screen.

I keep mine on permanently and I like using the virtual home button for Double Tap To Wake the screen

jshah500

Nov 2, 2013
Visit site
The Home button doesn't need to move (location). The pixels only need to alternate. The Home button will still look exactly as is but the pixels that light it turn off and ones that were off light up instead. It all happens without being noticeable. I know I'm not explaining it very well but it's been used for years and has the same effect on preventing screen burn in as moving things around the screen.

I keep mine on permanently and I like using the virtual home button for Double Tap To Wake the screen

Do you have a source for this? I like having the home button on too and would like the reassurance. Thanks!

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site

yes, do you remember where you saw that? I'd love to turn it back on, but won't do it until I'm sure it won't burn in.

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Please see my post above.

I've read it already, thanks but my question was not about how to turn it off, is simply that it's a real possibility of burn in on ALL AMOLED screen if those pixels are on all the time for hours like the AOD will certainly do during long periods of time without any interaction.

I (we) just wanted confirmation that indeed they at least alternate pixels while showing the Home button all the time, once I'm sure that is the case then I can feel safer to turn that option back on.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rnsd84