Worse battery life after I started swapping batteries?

vwite

Dec 26, 2016
Visit site
Hello guys,

One of the main reasons I bought the LG V20 was removable battery, I am a very heavy user and even a 6000 mAh battery won't last me a full day so the option of swapping batteries without having to plug in the phone and go from 0 to 100% in less than a minute is great, however, before ordering my spare battery I was getting very decent battery life, around 6.5 Screen On Time. Screen was on top of the battery usage list and phone idle was pretty high too, but Android system and Android OS were almost at the bottom of the list.

After I received my spare battery and started swapping batteries I started to get considerably worse battery life, around 4 SOT and now Android System and Android OS were second and third on the list and were using almost the same battery of the screen.

I am not sure if it has anything to do with restarting the phone or with actually removing the battery.

Has anyone that has the habit of swapping batteries instead of plugging in the phone has experienced anything similar?

Thank you!

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I've swapped batteries since phones had no place to store numbers, and always got longer long-term life by doing so.

But I never paid attention to how often I had to swap them. Cellphones aren't designed to be gentle on batteries, and lithium batteries aren't designed to be deep-discharged. You use the battery until it drops to less than 50%, then charge it, preferably before it gets to 40% - and you get the longest life that way. Two batteries a day, three - whatever it takes, just don't deep-discharge them. That's a fast way to permanently damage them.

vwite

Dec 26, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for the help! I usually discharge them to 0% and put them in the craddle until they are at 100% again and have no noticeable degradation problems in less than a year. However, I was wondering if someone that also swap batteries on the LG V20 daily has notices and increase on "Android OS" and "Android System" battery consumption under battery usage. Or if the average SOT has changed at all since they received their spare battery

TheMarcus

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
I feel like my battery has gone to crap lately, though I wouldn't point the finger at battery swapping since I've done that on past phones. I was going to factory reset and hope for the best.

vasekvi

May 5, 2013
Visit site
I've been happy with my V20. Battery life is so good that I sometimes don't switch batteries in a day. And when I do, I usually leave the spare charging at work. I only take the spare and charger with me from work usually when I will have a day off. I expect in time as I have with all phones past, that battery life will diminish, at which point I will likely throw another battery in the mix. But after a month and a half, I have not seen this on any noticeable level.

vwite

Dec 26, 2016
Visit site
I feel like my battery has gone to crap lately, though I wouldn't point the finger at battery swapping since I've done that on past phones. I was going to factory reset and hope for the best.

Yeah I haven't had any problems swapping batteries and getting different battery life with other phones, but with this phone when I started swapping batteries (or I'm not sure if I would have the same problem just powering the phone off and on) is when I started noticing and increased usage of Android OS and Android System, as I said only in the V20, no problems at all with the s3, s4, s5, note 4, g4, g5 or v10.

talon1189

Oct 18, 2016
Visit site
Yeah I haven't had any problems swapping batteries and getting different battery life with other phones, but with this phone when I started swapping batteries (or I'm not sure if I would have the same problem just powering the phone off and on) is when I started noticing and increased usage of Android OS and Android System, as I said only in the V20, no problems at all with the s3, s4, s5, note 4, g4, g5 or v10.

I wonder if you got a counterfeit battery and cradle. Counterfeits are often sold on Ebay and look exactly the same as the original battery's but at a much cheaper price to make them attractive to the buyer? Where did you buy your spare battery and cradle?

Brent Michael

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
Lithium ion batteries aren't very stable. I mean they're stable enough to consider safe but sometimes even the same battery will discharge at different rates under identical conditions. Also to the instability, I've charged my battery to 100% done like a simple search, taking no longer than a couple of minutes, and phone discharged to 98% where another time after charging battery to 100% played a decently CPU and GPU intensive game for about 5 minutes and phone still considered battery to be at 100%. This just goes to show that lithium ion isn't necessary the most reliable. Just waiting to see more info on Hauwei's purposed lithium-ion graphite batteries. Supposed to charge extremely fast, be more stable and hold a charge for far longer, like 2 or three times longer, even at the same mAh.

vwite

Dec 26, 2016
Visit site
talon1189 I have thought about that but the problem is also with the original battery. Let's say I've been getting 6.5 SOT consistently with battery A (original) , then I swap to new battery B (counterfeit) and get 4.5 SOT, but then I swap again to battery A and get 4.5 SOT as well.

DamianP

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
Hello guys,

One of the main reasons I bought the LG V20 was removable battery, I am a very heavy user and even a 6000 mAh battery won't last me a full day so the option of swapping batteries without having to plug in the phone and go from 0 to 100% in less than a minute is great, however, before ordering my spare battery I was getting very decent battery life, around 6.5 Screen On Time. Screen was on top of the battery usage list and phone idle was pretty high too, but Android system and Android OS were almost at the bottom of the list.

After I received my spare battery and started swapping batteries I started to get considerably worse battery life, around 4 SOT and now Android System and Android OS were second and third on the list and were using almost the same battery of the screen.

I am not sure if it has anything to do with restarting the phone or with actually removing the battery.

Has anyone that has the habit of swapping batteries instead of plugging in the phone has experienced anything similar?

Thank you!

I have the second battery with charger and have swapped numerous times with no difference for my usage. I get 4.5 sit with both batteries.

Joeykool

Dec 29, 2015
Visit site
It's funny you say that .... This makes me wonder now. I had a v10 and the battery was fair. I got an update for the phone at the same time I started swapping and the battery life went down. Hmmmmm?

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Did you buy a genuine authentic LG battery? Could be the battery and OS software still trying to settle in. My LG V20 didn't get good battery life until after several weeks later. Went from 4 SOT to about 6.5 SOT or more.

Hello guys,

Thank you!

vwite

Dec 26, 2016
Visit site
I have the second battery with charger and have swapped numerous times with no difference for my usage. I get 4.5 sit with both batteries.

That's about what I get now. Have you ever used only one battery without powering down the phone for more than 10 days? I was getting 6.5 SOT before hitting 1% when I didn't have my spare battery yet.

It's funny you say that .... This makes me wonder now. I had a v10 and the battery was fair. I got an update for the phone at the same time I started swapping and the battery life went down. Hmmmmm?

Mmm that's weird I never noticed any difference with the v10 but the battery life always was one of the worst since the beggining, around 3 SOT.

Did you buy a genuine authentic LG battery? Could be the battery and OS software still trying to settle in. My LG V20 didn't get good battery life until after several weeks later. Went from 4 SOT to about 6.5 SOT or more.

I am 99.5% sure the one I bought is authentic but I am also 100% sure the one that came in the sealed box with the v20 is aunthentic. Both have the same problem.

About the software settling in, I have around 5 SOT the first day and increased to 6.5 SOT on the next few days (about five) then stayed about the same for around another 10 days before I received my spared battery, then both went down to 4.5 SOT which is a little worse than day one.

I am only comparing SOT times because I am comparing them with the same usage, same apps, same signal, same time etc.

BOSSY TEXAS CHICK

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
=....I am 99.5% sure the one I bought is authentic but I am also 100% sure the one that came in the sealed box with the v20 is aunthentic. Both have the same problem.

Even tho you are SURE its not a new app, or a signal, problem etc, one way to test if the batteries are 100% identical capacity would to charge them BOTH fully, and the first night put on "airplane mode" overnight (unplugged from charger ; ) and see how much it discharges, then do the EXACT same thing the next night and see if they discharged identically. Its not a true scientific test, but it will show you AT LEAST if they are calibrated the same.

BTC

vwite

Dec 26, 2016
Visit site

Even tho you are SURE its not a new app, or a signal, problem etc, one way to test if the batteries are 100% identical capacity would to charge them BOTH fully, and the first night put on "airplane mode" overnight (unplugged from charger ; ) and see how much it discharges, then do the EXACT same thing the next night and see if they discharged identically. Its not a true scientific test, but it will show you AT LEAST if they are calibrated the same.

BTC

I think is highly unlikely that they are 100% identical capacity but I least I wished they were closer to the advertised 3200 mah, something like 3121 mah and 3110 mah on the other battery instead of 2800-2900 mah

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
People argue but I don't believe u can get an Lg Battery from anybody but LG. Amazon & Ebay do nothing about counterfeiting

sayf777

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
Nougat seems to still have "Mobile Radio Active" bug that was prevalent since lollipop.

Have you by any chance been using your phone more on 3G/LTE then Wifi recently?