Worth switching to Moto X Play?

rumblecats

Oct 14, 2015
Visit site
Hey all,

I haven't quite taken the plunge yet on the Moto X Play but I'm really thinking hard about it. Currently on my old iPhone 5S. I was on the 1st gen Moto G until it just started to stutter a little too much for my liking, plus the onboard storage was a joke, so I went back to the iPhone.

I'm curious if anyone else has made the switch from the 5S to the Play? I'm wondering if the camera and performance are worthy of changing. The battery obviously is, plus screen size althought 5.5" is pushing it for a small handed dude. I currently have my iPhone paid off and am not on contract with my phone company in Canada, so this would perhaps be a solid upgrade while I sell off the 5S. Or would this be more of a lateral move?

Before anyone mentions OS differences and to go with whichever I prefer, I'm not tethered to either one of them. I like iOS and Android both for their own reasons (dislike iOS 9 more and more as I use it...). So what do you guys think? Is this a decent enough phone or do you think that I'll find it's a step down from the 5S?

Thanks! Looking forward to hearing any advice/thoughts/comments!

CellTheUltimateAndroid

Apr 19, 2015
Visit site
I dont have the 5s or the moto x play buuut with the x play you should be getting a better screen, much better battery and around same quality camera- but it should be worse in low light.
So thats about it.

Oct 17, 2015
Visit site
Hey all,

I haven't quite taken the plunge yet on the Moto X Play but I'm really thinking hard about it. Currently on my old iPhone 5S. I was on the 1st gen Moto G until it just started to stutter a little too much for my liking, plus the onboard storage was a joke, so I went back to the iPhone.

I'm curious if anyone else has made the switch from the 5S to the Play? I'm wondering if the camera and performance are worthy of changing. The battery obviously is, plus screen size althought 5.5" is pushing it for a small handed dude. I currently have my iPhone paid off and am not on contract with my phone company in Canada, so this would perhaps be a solid upgrade while I sell off the 5S. Or would this be more of a lateral move?

Before anyone mentions OS differences and to go with whichever I prefer, I'm not tethered to either one of them. I like iOS and Android both for their own reasons (dislike iOS 9 more and more as I use it...). So what do you guys think? Is this a decent enough phone or do you think that I'll find it's a step down from the 5S?

Thanks! Looking forward to hearing any advice/thoughts/comments!
Yes, personally its the best Motorola phone I have used... Once you install CyanogenMod.

This stock ROM it's too laggy for me.

Sent from my XT1563 using Tapatalk

girinath

Mar 22, 2015
Visit site
I have used iPhone 5s so here are my suggestions:-

Iphone 5s over moto x play-
1. Much better display but the size is only 4 inches
2. Speakers are better in iPhone 5s even though they are not front facing
3. It's only to me, I found 5s to be smoother overall like opening apps and games. It maybe fixed with the moto future android m update
4. The full metal build of it is really better

Motox play over iPhone 5s-
1. Better camera overall
2. Much better battery life
3.call quality is better
4. Expandable storage and also dual sim in some countries
5. Fast charging
6. Moto maker
7. More screen to body ratio ( it doesn't look as big as iPhone 6s plus and the curved back make it nice to hold)

So its your choice shifting to moto x play. Its not a big upgrade from the 5s but at a price of 300$ it is worth every penny.
If you want a real upgrade buy the moto x pure/style which is better in all the aspects and the price is also lower I.e. 400$ depending on your country

Posted via the Android Central App

CellTheUltimateAndroid

Apr 19, 2015
Visit site
I have used iPhone 5s so here are my suggestions:-

Iphone 5s over moto x play-
1. Much better display but the size is only 4 inches
2. Speakers are better in iPhone 5s even though they are not front facing
3. It's only to me, I found 5s to be smoother overall like opening apps and games. It maybe fixed with the moto future android m update
4. The full metal build of it is really better

Motox play over iPhone 5s-
1. Better camera overall
2. Much better battery life
3.call quality is better
4. Expandable storage and also dual sim in some countries
5. Fast charging
6. Moto maker
7. More screen to body ratio ( it doesn't look as big as iPhone 6s plus and the curved back make it nice to hold)

So its your choice shifting to moto x play. Its not a big upgrade from the 5s but at a price of 300$ it is worth every penny.
If you want a real upgrade buy the moto x pure/style which is better in all the aspects and the price is also lower I.e. 400$ depending on your country

How does the iPhone 5s have a better display? Lol

girinath

Mar 22, 2015
Visit site
You haven't seen it yet. Don't look just at the resolution 5s with ~350ppi and moto x play with 401ppi is not the only measure to check it. Color saturation, white balance, color quality etc. Matters too...
I have used both so I know..

CellTheUltimateAndroid

Apr 19, 2015
Visit site
You haven't seen it yet. Don't look just at the resolution 5s with ~350ppi and moto x play with 401ppi is not the only measure to check it. Color saturation, white balance, color quality etc. Matters too...
I have used both so I know..

According to many reviews the x play has good colour accuracy, contrast, saturation, brightness etc. Are you sure the 5s screen is better?

girinath

Mar 22, 2015
Visit site
Yes, I used 5s before so I know. Can you send me a link where it mentioned....

leetrevor81

Sep 4, 2015
Visit site
According to many reviews the x play has good colour accuracy, contrast, saturation, brightness etc. Are you sure the 5s screen is better?

Just because Moto X Play has good reviews for it's screen doesn't mean it's automatically better than another phone. IPhone's always get good reviews for their screens. I'm sure both phones have great screens. One doesn't have to be better....It might simply come down to preference. Some might prefer IPhone screens others might prefer X Play.

girinath

Mar 22, 2015
Visit site
It's not a matter of choice. Iphone 5s display is miles better than moto x play. Why won't be? It is costly too....

Posted via moto x play

girinath

Mar 22, 2015
Visit site
Well think of comparing the display between S5 and S6.
I am not telling S5 is bad but the S6 is the best one in the market in terms of display tech. In a similar way it goes to moto x play

Posted via moto x play

leetrevor81

Sep 4, 2015
Visit site
You were asked how it is better and you don't actually give any argument? Are the colours more accurate? is the screen sharper? Is it the size of the screen you like? is it brighter?

Also it is a matter of choice. If someone thinks something is better, that is their opinion, you can't say their opinion is wrong. It's like telling someone that likes coke over pepsi that they can't drink coke, because pepsi is better

girinath

Mar 22, 2015
Visit site
It's definitely not sharper. The colors are vibrant in 5s. Being an LCD display the blacks are much better in the 5s and even contrast levels too.....
The only go for moto here is that it is really brighter.

Posted via moto x play

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thephilster001