Xoom--will Ipad 2 announcement have an effect?

XzombieX66

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Well now that the IPad 2 updated specs and same pricing has been released I'm not buying a Xoom till there is a significant price drop. I love android so much, but this is apple's second time making the same tablet. They made it pretty much as good as its going to get. Sure they could add a little more ram in it, but really Motorola, you are about to get blown out of the water if you don't change your pricing. I feel like I'm a traitor to my droid x and everything we've done together but I don't need a full blown computer, just a couch tablet that can make things more convenient at a reasonable price.

I agree with you on the price, I was lucky enough to get mine for the 599.99 deal, which make the xoom that much better, everything the xoom has to offer for 599.00 is such a steal

arundc

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Watched the live event for the iPad 2 release. I am so happy with my Xoom purchase more than ever. The 2's new specs of dual core, dual cams and slim design are cool but that's it! The Xoom's similar specs are way more advanced with the additional - better screen resolution and the future upgrade to 4G, ext mem support and Flash.

I have respect for Steve Jobs, he is a visionary no doubt but he is also pompous and did not have to take those knocks on the competition. I hope more Honeycomb tablets release soon at better pricing (Motorola, hope you are listening) and eat in to their market share.

Last edited:

alphanu22

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
I get you are saving money, but just he process of teathering everytime I want data is not ideal. Granted most of my use is WiFi at home and work I won't use too much of that 1GB, but having it just turn on and work when I want it is better for me.

i did forget to mention that my tether is on all the time and like i said i dont have significant battery loss... The XOOM and Droid X plays together nicely 24/7

pcon

May 11, 2010
Visit site
you know at $20 your Capped at 1GB right? Just saying...
i havent notice horrid battery life from tethering...

On an EVO I have battery drainage from using my Hotspot (Work sites didn't connect on tether). Currently connect my laptop via Hotspot everyday for work to remotely enter data. Considering a Xoom but being without a Laptop replacement for 6 days would make it hard to work.

Has anyone tested the data speeds from Tethering/Hotspot vs. Xoom data downloads?

chaguewood

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
Hate to say it but...

Go on....

haha.

We all know that the ipad will always outsell other tablets. Whether it is better or not is a matter of preference IMO. I think the pricing is a tad expensive for the Xoom, but like others have said I think they would be a lot better off AT LEAST having a wi-fi only model for $599 (same price as 32gb wi-fi ipad2), and maybe that is coming.

I think they are comparable spec wise, but the Xoom has a bit more hardware to offer and I prefer customization of Android over iOS. Stability wise iOS is likely stronger, but I still prefer Android.

cparker5

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
i did forget to mention that my tether is on all the time and like i said i dont have significant battery loss... The XOOM and Droid X plays together nicely 24/7
I don't want to be required to carry 2 devices around all the time. You seem to do it anyway, or at least whenever youhave your Xoom you have your phone. For me it is worth $20 a month to not have that scenerio.

alphanu22

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
On an EVO I have battery drainage from using my Hotspot (Work sites didn't connect on tether). Currently connect my laptop via Hotspot everyday for work to remotely enter data. Considering a Xoom but being without a Laptop replacement for 6 days would make it hard to work.

Has anyone tested the data speeds from Tethering/Hotspot vs. Xoom data downloads?

shouldn't it be the same since both are getting the same service?

pearlmikejam

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
I am struggling with the decision now. My Xoom is not performing great. I seem to be plagued by hardware and software bugs (I am not rooted). I love the interface of Android, and do not want to trade that for an iPad, but given the comparable specs and lower price of the iPad, I might have to forgo widgets and Flash to save myself $200.

slinky317

Oct 18, 2009
Visit site
And now the original iPad had its price drop to $399. Ouch.

Sorry Motorola, but the Xoom, as it stands right now, is done. Are you paying attention?

Last edited:

ckrenek23

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Death to xoom I'm an android fan but this is a big FAIL for Moto, price not competitive hate to say it but I may just order the 32gb wifi only ipad2 for 600 or wait for a wifi only xoom or wait for samsungs announcement in a few weeks before I decide.

Sent from my Froyo Fascinate using Tapatalk

FluxTZ

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Not that I agree with Moto's opinion, but I think we're all forgetting that Moto is on record of stating that they justify the higher price due to the fact that the Xoom will have/be LTE/4G while the iPad 2 will still be 3G...

Not saying I agree with the tactic but with the stance they are taking I don't see them dropping price on the 3G/LTE/Wifi version of the tablet.

I'm still happy with my Xoom purchase. I was never really an iPad guy to begin with and, like others have said, even the iPad 2 is still just a massive iPhone/iPod Touch with some upgraded internals and a camera.

gattmandoo

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
I really wanted to get the xoom. Went to Verizon and Best Buy to test drive them extensivly. Also played with the iPad 1 while there to get a feel for both. I have to say the xoom did not blow me out of the water like I thought it would from reading the specs. Then add the $800 price tag on top of it. Price is really a big deal for me. Especially since I have to get 2 tablets for my wife and I and as of now the xoom is pricing itself out. I'm not a big fan of apple and I love my Droid Inc (A LOT) but the iPad can do what I am looking for and for a more reasonable price. Motorala and the other Android tablet makers need to get a product that can compete in the price range of the iPad. My try and remain patient a litle longer to see if Moto changes price or others come out with more options. I held out a year not getting the iPad one knowing that 2 would have more options what's another few weeks.

pcon

May 11, 2010
Visit site
shouldn't it be the same since both are getting the same service?

I would think the Xoom would be faster because data is coming directly to the tablet. On my laptop, data first goes through the phone and is then transfered via wifi.

I currently use about 2gigs a month with a Hotspot 3x's weekly connected and lots of internet/pulse surfing on the Evo.

slinky317

Oct 18, 2009
Visit site
Not that I agree with Moto's opinion, but I think we're all forgetting that Moto is on record of stating that they justify the higher price due to the fact that the Xoom will have/be LTE/4G while the iPad 2 will still be 3G...

Not saying I agree with the tactic but with the stance they are taking I don't see them dropping price on the 3G/LTE/Wifi version of the tablet.

If that's the case, then how about they charge the "premium" for the 4G when the Xoom actually gets 4G?

inkmantpa

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
A few observations. First, I own both a 32Gb WiFi iPad and a Xoom. Both have their uses and both have their target market. Everyone who likes the iPad will not like the XOOM and vice versa. Since I bought the XOOM, I haven't touched the iPad. But before I bought the Xoom, I used the iPad all the time. I LOVE my iPod and my iPod nana, so I'm not anti-Apple. I've been an Android fan since the day the original Droid was released. LOVE my Droid X. Here are a few thoughts in no particular order.

1) Multiple devices from multiple manufacturers is a GOOD thing...it's called competition and is essential in a free market economy (although some might argue that the US isn't much of a free market economy these days, that's a whole different topic). Apple comes out with some cool innovations and some Google dev's, or even individual Android app dev's figure ways to incorporate similar features into Android. Then Android comes out with some cool features and the same goes on at Apple. People always talk like there is only room for ONE...bad idea. If there is only one, you can bet innovation will creep to a crawl.

2) Price - I see so many people posting how the price of the XOOM is a big Fail...for whom?? It isn't a fail for the people who bought them. Do you know Motorola's break even on these devices? Do you know their pricing strategy with these devices? There are lots of things in all sorts of markets that some people think cost way too much and some people think are a steal. The fact is the price can only ever be too high "for you" Sure if Moto doesn't sell the number of units they want to sell, they might lower the price, but they might also be quite happy with their sales and keep the price right where it is. Again, unless you know A LOT of information about Moto's financials, strategies, etc, you will have no idea if the price is right for them. And if you did know that information, you are at a level in Moto where you would NEVER be talking about that here. How much is a Humvee? If it is over $10k, it is too much if you ask me for a gas guzzler with crappy gas mileage compared to a Hybrid or full electrical car....but guess what...people buy the damn things all the time. To them, $60K is no big deal. Every post you read on here that says anything, any device, costs too much, you always have to read "for me" at the end of that.

3) Lots of comparisons between the iPad and the Xoom. There are a few things that made the Xoom a "buy" for me that I still don't see in the iPad 2. SD card slot, 4G, Widgets, an open operating system that I can modify in many ways. Again, these things made the Xoom a "buy" for me. For others they may be no big deal. That's what makes price a very personal thing.

4) Finally, and this is a biggie for me. I am continually amused by the people who have such vehement opinions that are passed off as gospel on stuff that they do not even own. A FEW have played with a device for 5 minutes, that will NEVER be enough time to be able to speak definitively about anything. Most of these same people are parroting what they have "heard" or read somewhere. I had one guy tell me that it was a fact that the XOOM crashed all the time. I asked where he got his XOOM, he didn't own one. I asked where he tried the XOOM and how many times did it crash on him, he never had touched one. But, he insisted that it was a KNOWN FACT that the XOOM crashed all the time. I was at my VZ store at the minute they opened on launch day and have used my XOOM many hours per day since...never has locked up and never required a reboot. When I told him this, he insisted I didn't know what I was talking about. Don't be lemmings, people. Read the stuff posted here and elsewhere and think for yourself. Here's another one,,,there are NO APPS for the XOOM. What app are you trying to find for your XOOM? Oh I don't own one. Lemmings.

In the end iPad2, XOOM, Galaxy, whatever else...it's all good for the consumer. If the price isn't right for you, buy the one that does have the right price and the right feature set for you.

watchout4d

Sep 8, 2010
Visit site
I really wanted to get the xoom. Went to Verizon and Best Buy to test drive them extensivly. Also played with the iPad 1 while there to get a feel for both. I have to say the xoom did not blow me out of the water like I thought it would from reading the specs. Then add the $800 price tag on top of it. Price is really a big deal for me. Especially since I have to get 2 tablets for my wife and I and as of now the xoom is pricing itself out. I'm not a big fan of apple and I love my Droid Inc (A LOT) but the iPad can do what I am looking for and for a more reasonable price. Motorala and the other Android tablet makers need to get a product that can compete in the price range of the iPad. My try and remain patient a litle longer to see if Moto changes price or others come out with more options. I held out a year not getting the iPad one knowing that 2 would have more options what's another few weeks.

This is how I feel. I have an iPad from work and I do like it. I was blown away by the Xoom announcement until I heard no wifi version was coming soon. The iPad is simplistic as he'll but it is great. Now ipad2 has better processor, cameras, still 499.00. Hard to pass up.

INFURNO

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
ipad 2 vs xoom

Resolution
1024x768 :: 1280x800

RAM:
512 :: 1GB

Network:
3g :: 4g LTE

Expandable storage:
no :: yes

Flash:
no :: yes

Not to mention the Xoom has a much better tablet OS... This alone makes the xoom a far more powerful device.

Is the Xoom worth the extra $200? Easily, imo.

Reactions: JZambrano

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I think the iPad2 leaves a pretty big sized hole for Android to slide in during the next holiday season after honeycomb matures a bit and prices come down.

alphanu22

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
ipad2-vs-xoom-gslate-galaxy-tab.png

cparker5

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
I would say the $499 price of the Wifi iPad2 is a great deal. For most people this will be the tablet they think they need, and they will be right. If a comparable Xoom WiFi was priced at $499 iPad2 would still probably get more sales. The Xoom will be a great device one the SD Card is on, 4G is enabled and we have flash. But many people won't care about those things (until it is too late).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vergoña69