Zoes, Highlights, still pictures, and video. Here's how they all work and what they all mean

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
I talked with Phil about the new camera features on the HTC One since before it was released. I've talked with HTC about the camera features on the HTC One. I've talked with Alex about the camera features on the HTC One. But until I had one in my hands to use and play with them all, I just didn't seem to have a handle on it. Phil has made up a nice blog post about the features, but because blog posts have to look and read a certain way, it just didn't make it click for me. Hopefully, writing it this way can help.

In the picture below:

Button 1 is the Zoe button
Button 2 is the still picture button
Button 3 is the video button

To take a still picture: tap the screen where you want the camera to focus and meter the light for automatic mode. Press button 2 to take the picture.
To take a regular video: tap the screen where you want the initial focus point to be, then tap button 3 to start recording. Tap button 3 again to stop recording.
To take a Zoe: Tap button 1 to turn on Zoe mode. Tap the screen where you want the initial focus/meter point to be. Tap button 2 to start the 3 second capture.

Normal pictures and video can be shared just like they can on any other smartphone.
Zoes can only be shared via HTC's site. You can look at them on your own phone, but you can;t share them to Facebook or Twitter. They are a series of stil .jpg files with metadata that plays them like an animation. We're looking at where to find the metadata so we can see about sharing zoe's with other folks who have an HTC One.
Zoes will only stay posted on HTC's site for 180 days. You can re-upload them again, though.
HTC's Zoe share site works perfectly on a computer, iOS device, and Android phones and tablets.

Highlights
If you open your gallery and switch to event view, at the top of each folder you'll see a highlight video. It's created automatically from the still pictures and Zoes you've taken that are grouped for that event. This is done automatically.

To share a highlight: Click the three dots in the upper right and save it. It will be put in your Gallery and on your device storage in a folder named highlight videos.
To change the name of a highlight video: Change the name of the event folder
To add pictures to a highlight move them into the event folder.
To add Zoes, long press the event folder with the Zoe you want to include, then select Merge to
To change the pictures and Zoes used in your highlight: tap the three dot menu and choose "select content"
To change the theme fo a highlight tap the icon with the music note in the bottom right of the player window.
To shuffle everything, press the shuffle icon on the botton right (second icon from the right side).

Take lots of them. Share them everywhere.

Fire away with questions!

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-04-29-20-58-03.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-04-29-20-58-03.jpg
    561 KB · Views: 107

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Comes up as unavailable for me. If it works as an animation, you have to tell us how you did it. Kevin and i tried last night and couldn't get it to share more than the one picture of the first frame.

ScottsoNJ

Jan 29, 2012
Visit site
I wonder if anybody else can click on my link? How did I do it? I just uploaded to my Facebook. I don't remember doing anything fancy

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
I just got the One on Saturday....I still don't 'get' Zoe's.

All it does is take a 3 second video, that is also a collection of 20 pictures. Ok cool, but the 3 second video isn't really long enough to film something or 'capture the moment', and selecting the best picture out of 3 seconds didn't seem very useful either. I'd get it if it could record like 30 seconds of video along with constant pictures so then you could go through it all and find which picture is best.

Otherwise, as far as I can tell, it's just a 3 second video......or 20 burst shot photos. Whichever you want to choose.

I did like the highlight videos a lot, but they work with regular videos/pictures anyway. Don't need Zoe's for them.

HunterKen7

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
Is there a way to change the resolution of the still shots you take? Or is it always taking them at the highest resolution? I see there seems to be a setting for video: (Normal, Slow Mo, Fast HD, Full HDR), but not for pictures.

I also had the same question about Zoes as the post above. From what I gather, they allow you to fix smiles on group shots, make sequence shots and remove objects from the background. I think they also look awesome in the Highlight reel.

Also, remember that you can take photos from video! Just click the picture icon on the right while watching a video.

SCjRqrQCnBQ19QoYCtdl

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
I just got the One on Saturday....I still don't 'get' Zoe's.

All it does is take a 3 second video, that is also a collection of 20 pictures. Ok cool, but the 3 second video isn't really long enough to film something or 'capture the moment', and selecting the best picture out of 3 seconds didn't seem very useful either. I'd get it if it could record like 30 seconds of video along with constant pictures so then you could go through it all and find which picture is best.

Otherwise, as far as I can tell, it's just a 3 second video......or 20 burst shot photos. Whichever you want to choose.

I did like the highlight videos a lot, but they work with regular videos/pictures anyway. Don't need Zoe's for them.

The highlight films are a lot better imo with the live action interspersed.

Also, the 3 second clips sometimes show just enough to be a great moment.

Selecting the best of 20 shots is very useful if you have kids, or if there is an action shot.

Westfire

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
I've tried removing photos from a Highlight video by 'selecting content' but it always comes up in the video. I think I am doing it right and seems like a bug. Jerry can you confirm?

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 2

mysterygirl

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I'm discovering that highlight videos actually turn bad pictures and zoes into something nice and memorable. I took a few bad shots last night (all the fault of the user, not the camera). I was tempted to just stop, but once I saw how they were being pulled into the highlight video, I realized that they actually "worked" in that context. I can definitely see using the highlight feature often.

SCjRqrQCnBQ19QoYCtdl

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
I've tried removing photos from a Highlight video by 'selecting content' but it always comes up in the video. I think I am doing it right and seems like a bug. Jerry can you confirm?

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 2

Not sure why you would do this - you should have a still or zoe full of stills for anything in the highlight.

Maybe I am mis-understanding what you are asking?

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
The highlight films are a lot better imo with the live action interspersed.

Agreed. Which is why my album has a mix of still shots and videos (no Zoe's) and the highlight films look great with a mix of video and stills.

Also, the 3 second clips sometimes show just enough to be a great moment.

Or far too short to capture a moment. Much easier to just record it as a video and crop/cut whatever you don't want. Better doing that than continuously taking 3 second Zoe's and potentially missing the moment.

Selecting the best of 20 shots is very useful if you have kids, or if there is an action shot.

Yep, luckily the camera has burst shot as well which can take more than 20 shots.

Oh and while video recording, you can still snap pics during it by pressing the camera button. So you can take videos longer than 3 seconds, along with snap photos.

I absolutely love the HTC One, but I still find Zoe's completely useless.

Westfire

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
I want to remove one picture out of a series of photos from my highlight video. Like I have pictures of dogs playing then one random picture of a flower. I don't want the one picture of the flower in the highlight video. In the video you can select content and remove pictures that show up in the video but it doesn't stick. I think it's a bug.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

SCjRqrQCnBQ19QoYCtdl

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
I want to remove one picture out of a series of photos from my highlight video. Like I have pictures of dogs playing then one random picture of a flower. I don't want the one picture of the flower in the highlight video. In the video you can select content and remove pictures that show up in the video but it doesn't stick. I think it's a bug.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

OK, I understand, you want to exclude one of the pictures from the highlight.

Yeah, I think that is a bug. The only way I can do that is to use the "split to" option to create a new event with just what you want.

Westfire

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
OK, I understand, you want to exclude one of the pictures from the highlight.

Yeah, I think that is a bug. The only way I can do that is to use the "split to" option to create a new event with just what you want.

Yeah I am viewing everything in Events. I could separate more with albums and such which I might do once I take a ton more pictures down the road.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rambo4id