Otterbox

Bond32

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
Just curious who all has the Otterbox. I decided to order it, since it was $28 free shipping from Amazon, even though I bought one already from Verizon and returned it because I wasn't pleased with the design.

My thoughts are I like it after giving it a weekend's use. Given the opening from the screen protector at the top is a pain, I really like the feel of the case. Gives the excellent Otterbox protection we have all known to love and it still goes in pockets (not easily or without lint) but it gets the job done.

Also I don't like the design of the holster. Seems like 90% of the time when I try to re-holster the phone, the outer silicone skin comes off somewhere, or the inside plastic case somehow comes apart making it impossible to holster. Maybe I need to take it apart to look at it closer...

I will continue to use it. I like the size it makes the tbolt, and the feel.

Reactions: elgranpagan

Andy19

May 13, 2011
Visit site
Pros: Great protection! Case has great grip as well.

Cons:

Super bulky, doubling the weight/size overall

Annoying screen guard where you have to press harder and sounds like a type writer

Annoying when dust/debris managed to get under the screen guard since the ear speaker part is "open". Would have to take the entire case off to clean.

What really ticked me off was the first time I took it off there was a nice square imprint left in the back of my ThunderBolt due to the soft shock absorber and I thought it was permanent due to how tight the case seal was. Luckily it slightly rubbed off and eventually went away.

I purchased it when it came out and used it for about three weeks until I got fed up with it, took it off, and of course the day I took it off, I dropped my phone twice. Luckily on carpet both times. lol

I put it back on for a few more days but got annoyed with it again. I haven't been using a case, which is nice, but obviously leads to a bit of paranoia.

I paid full retail price and do regret it. My friend's iPhone Otterbox case was "slim" compared to the ThunderBolt, which was why I pulled the trigger and bought it. The only good thing about paying the full price and purchasing it directly was the parts warranty if anything goes wrong.

If anyone wants pics or has any other questions, feel free to ask and I'll do my best to answer them.

Reactions: elgranpagan

elgranpagan

Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
My $64 question is "can the otterbox handle a TB with extended battery?"
I had contacted Otterbox.com and they advised that none of their otterboxes fit phones with extended batteries.

It seems silly to me that otterbox would go thru the trouble of designing a protective phone case for a phone that screams EXTENDED BATTERY ONLY. Every TB owner knows that the standard battery is inadequate - especially if one uses the TB a lot. The exception being someone owning a TB and does absolutely nothing with it except answer/make calls.

But I need to know if the otterbox with you can house an extended battery? I already dropped my phone once and, you guessed it, cracked the screen. (I was quite fortunate to get a replacement TB for a totally different reason.) Since I personally use and handle my TB quite a bit, I really need something very useful and protective for my TB.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I would be eternally grateful. I am moving out of NY in 10 days and going to Maryland, so I need to get a protective case quickly.

Thanks in advance.

Bond32

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
My $64 question is "can the otterbox handle a TB with extended battery?"

Does anyone have any suggestions? I would be eternally grateful. I am moving out of NY in 10 days and going to Maryland, so I need to get a protective case quickly.

Thanks in advance.

Amazon.com: Seidio ACTIVE Extended Case for HTC Thunderbolt (fits 2750 / 3200 mAh batteries): Cell Phones & Accessories

This would be the case for you. Gives excellent protection with the extended battery. Also has a really nice feel to it.

Bond32

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
Just an update, it seems the otterbox built in screen protector works better if you already have a screen protector on. I use the realook, which is relatively thick compared to others.

Sent from my ADR6400L

Atomic_Monkey

Android monkey
Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
check out Trident's cases they rock. I am an otterbox fan for dryboxes as I am a fishing guide and spend lots of time on small boats in salt water. However, the trident cases look/feel/protect better in my opinion, and if you want ultimate protection, the Kraken series is the bomb, rubber is under the polycarbonite shell and won't slide around or move!

judpma012

Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
the Otterbox DOES NOT fit with the Extended Battery.....the Siedio Convert is almost exactly the same and is an excellent case...if bulk is not the issue. If you need great protection it works very well.

Bond32

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
IMO, Seidio > Otterbox > Trident for overall usefulness.

I should have kept my Seidio Active extended...

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

defcon999

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Every TB owner knows that the standard battery is inadequate - especially if one uses the TB a lot. The exception being someone owning a TB and does absolutely nothing with it except answer/make calls..

[INSERT SARCASM]
Wait there....what are you saying?....the ThunderBolt makes calls?......I thought it was for texting only?.....so much for listening to my daughter

too much coffee today!