Keeping contact list as is

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Every time I load a new rom and my contacts sync I get multiple copies of every name. It takes forever to delete all the extra ones. Is there a way to save my contact list as is now and not have it bolloxed every time I wipe data?

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
Put them in Gmail... I've never had that issue and I flash ROM at least one a week... and sometimes more often.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
They are and I do. Contacts are fine in computer and tbolt. As soon as I flash and resync I get 2 copies of every name in both the computer and the tbolt. I don't even use facebook.

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
You store them in Gmail... in only one account??? What does your computer have to do with it... or are you just using that to view your Gmail account???

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Gmail was my email long before android. I have 2 accounts but no overlapping names in them. Both accounts get the same name dup issue but only with the names in those accounts. One is for work and I don't put personal ones in that nor work ones in the other.

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
Just listening to the Podcast... and they are talking about VZW's backup software, which I don't use... are you enabling that when you started your ROM... and by the way, what ROM are you using??? I'm wondering if Gmail isn't downloading all your contacts, then the VZW backup is attempting to restore your contacts also.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
It has happened in every rom. I'm using bamf 1.11 at the moment. I enable only google. Not using vzw backup assistant at all. I double checked my synced apps and only google is synced.

defcon999

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
It has happened in every rom. I'm using bamf 1.11 at the moment. I enable only google. Not using vzw backup assistant at all. I double checked my synced apps and only google is synced.

Are you using "My Backup" (or Titanium). I can only speak for "MyBackup". If you use it and you back up all your DATA you can pick what you want to backup. I NEVER backup my system settings and CONTACTS. If you do and then restore, it will copy all your contacts on there and then Google will copy them from your Gmail account and you will get doubles. It happened to me a lot and I was running BAMF 1.07, 1.08, 1.09, 1.10, until I figured out what I was doing.....I am now running INFECTED ETERNITY ROM....but, since I haven't restored my contacts I have NEVER had double contacts. Also, what you want to do is also after your contacts are on your phone, export them out into a file for backup. I use "GoCONTACTS Ex" and you can find duplicates and merge them if you want.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I don't use my backup pro nor titanium pro for contacts, only for apps. I don't know why I get this phenomenon.
I restore apps one at a time since most come from the market automatically.

Last edited:

TReal82986

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
I've got the same issue, every time I install a new ROM, my contacts which I've linked with other info about a person (fb, twitter, etc.) are no longer linked and I have to reapply (and I do since I like to have pictures with my contacts). But this has hindered me from switching roms bc it is such a hassle to do every time. If I try to back up my contacts any other way, I just get duplicates... annoying problem I can't figure out.

rcmarks314

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
Many will say I'm in the wrong but I don't let Google do anything. I have saved my contacts to v cards on the SD card and I pull them from there. I use Tibu to recover my apps, and data to the apps that need it. (some apps don't need data) Google is just too slow when compared to the speed of Tibu for reloading my apps. Sync is useless to me. Just my stupid opinion. But it works for me!

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
That's a thought. SO when I install a new rom and it asks if I want google to restore settings I reply "no" .
When log into gmail I forget if there is a choice NOT to sync contacts? I know once I log in I go to the sync screen and uncheck contacts but I'm not sure some haven't synced already.

When I log into gmail will my market account be restored for updates of apps?

How do I move contacts to sdcard?

Thanks

defcon999

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Is there a way to delete them from sdcard?
Are you talking about the exported file?.

If the answer is "Yes"...then hook up your phone and when it is mounted, look for a file called "contact_2011_11_13_16_16.vcf" (in my case...I made a backup on the 13Nov2011...I don't know what the 16_16 means), in your home directory.

There might be other files there called "0001.vcf". If that is the case, those are usually only 1 contact. Look at the file size also. I have 511 contacts and my VCF file size is about 17k.

You can delete those files if you want. If you are talking about deleting a individual contact, you can do that in the CONTACT on your phone and then just export.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I'm sorry, I meant delete exported contacts from sim card but I just realized nobody was discussing moving contacts to sim card. 1 gin and tonic and my iq drops 50 points!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty